How do u guys determine your Keepers Draft Order? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How do u guys determine your Keepers Draft Order?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How do u guys determine your Keepers Draft Order?

Postby logics » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:47 am

i just wanted to get some idea to how some leagues do it, i dont want to do the typical standings draft order, i think that makes ppl just lose.. :-t
logics
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:52 pm

Magic 8-balls and oijha boards are helpful.

Seriously, most people just do a standard ranking and adjust up or down individual players based on their age/the number of productive years they have left. Bonds and RJ's value gets dropped a bit for example. How much is determined by the Magic 8-ball (just joking).
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Fire-Rescue-Diver » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:25 pm

I think he means how do other peoples keeper leagues determine the order for the supplemental draft instead of using the standard reverse standings draft order that can reward some owners who may purposefully tank towards the end of a season in order to boost their draft pick. I guess you could do the 1st round of the draft by a lottery AFTER the first two or three teams (via standings) go?
Fire-Rescue-Diver
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:06 pm

OK. There is no good way to do that. If people want to tank it, that is something that is unavoidable. The Commish can step in in aggrevious cases I suppose. No matter what system you impose, there will always be a de-facto advantage to certain teams tanking it unless you remove the standings dependency entirely.

You could apply some sort of NBA-type lottery system, but I know I would not want to deal with that as a Commish.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby shortsavage » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:01 pm

My keeper league has five minor league spots (all of them keeper). If a squad does not have all of their minor league spots full going into the supplemental draft, their pick is rerouted to the first one before the .500+ squads or the final pick (if they are a winning team).

Five minor league spots may be too many for some leagues, but I think the overall idea works. So long as teams are making efforts to improve, the reverse standing system is alright.

You could always try a system like the one in the NBA too. I think the bottom teams are put into a lottery to determine who gets the top pick.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby punturere » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:24 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:OK. There is no good way to do that. If people want to tank it, that is something that is unavoidable. The Commish can step in in aggrevious cases I suppose. No matter what system you impose, there will always be a de-facto advantage to certain teams tanking it unless you remove the standings dependency entirely.

You could apply some sort of NBA-type lottery system, but I know I would not want to deal with that as a Commish.

Actually, I think you can avoid it. Take a look at the order in my league.

1) 7th

2) 8th

3) 9th

4) 10th

5) 11th

6) 12th

7) Best Loser in 1st Round

8) Worst Loser in 1st Round

9) Best Loser in LCS

10) Worst Loser in LCS

11) Runner-up

12) Champion

I know, I know. Some of you won't like the fact that the worst teams don't get the chance to have a high pick. But I'd rather avoid having teams tank their seasons.
punturere
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:34 pm

An NBA lottery style draft would be my suggestion. It wouldn't really be that hard I wouldn't think if you had someone outside the league do it just to avoid accusations later on. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:55 am

punturere wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:OK. There is no good way to do that. If people want to tank it, that is something that is unavoidable. The Commish can step in in aggrevious cases I suppose. No matter what system you impose, there will always be a de-facto advantage to certain teams tanking it unless you remove the standings dependency entirely.

Actually, I think you can avoid it. Take a look at the order in my league.

1) 7th

2) 8th

3) 9th

4) 10th

5) 11th

6) 12th

7) Best Loser in 1st Round

8) Worst Loser in 1st Round

9) Best Loser in LCS

10) Worst Loser in LCS

11) Runner-up

12) Champion

I know, I know. Some of you won't like the fact that the worst teams don't get the chance to have a high pick. But I'd rather avoid having teams tank their seasons.

And that would only be applicable to H2h. Roto has no playoffs. And yes, I do not like the fact that the team with the worst record gets the 6th pick. If you really want to handle it right, an NBA Lottery type of thing is the only way to deal with it. And there is no easy way to do it. Finding an independent 3rd party is next to impossible. And the only other way it could be done is to have everyoone physically meet and observe the selection, which is not practical in most cases.

IMO, I rather leave it as reverse of standings and if teams want to play games, more power to them. Sooner or later, you have to field a competitive team. And if you are in a money league, a small weekly prize will usually eliminate the tanking anyway as teams have money to go for and most people would rather win 5 or 10 dollars 2 or 3 times than worry whether they get the 1 or 3 pick in the draft.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers