finally - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

finally

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:05 pm

Just a hunch but I don't think the Mets will sign Pavano. Pavano is playing the Yankees and his agent was trying to involve the Mets. So far they've passed.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:08 pm

Pavano is playing the Yankees and the Mets as he wants to sign with the Red Sox.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Tony Clark is my son » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:13 pm

Pavano is not going to Shea, he'll wind up going to the highest bidder i.e. the Red Sox or Yankees.
Tony Clark is my son
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:14 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Well at least we do not solve our OF problems with the likes of Cliff Floyd and Mike Cameron. Or IF with Kaz Matsui.

Cameron wasn't a good acquisition? Perhaps you shouldn't look into last year's Win Shares.

TheYanks04 wrote:Benson does not even have 1 good year on his resume. And he is hardly the next Johan Santana in the making.

I guess you don't think 2000 was a good year? And I'm pretty sure if Santana was a FA he'd get a bigger payday than $7.5M.

The Mets passed on Pavano wisely. I do believe the Yankees are getting played. Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:27 pm

Pavano came out and said he wanted to play for the Red Sox and was not thrilled with NY....then he did a 180 most likely with the coaching and advice of his agent. You can;t play the Yanks vs the Red SOx if you say you do not want to play for one of them. Maybe the Red SOx have little interest in Pavano and he will settle for NY, but I suspect that if they wwant him, he is headed that way unless Geotge just goes nuts. The yanks at a minimum want to run the price up for Boston anyway the same way they are doing with Pedro.

Win Shares...yeah sure. I forgot, Mike Cameron is the next Beltran, Vernon Wells, Edmonds all rolled up into one. He was the AL K-King at one point. Oh yeah I forgot, his defensive made such a difference. Roger Cedeno was who you were comparing him to.

Santana has had 2 good years...and 1 CY Young.
Benson in 2000 was 10-12 with a 3.86 ERA and 1.35 WHIP...yeah so great. And that was his best year and the ONLY year he kept the ERA under 4 in the NL. Of course in 2003 he put it up near 5 with a 1.55 WHIP.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:21 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Win Shares...yeah sure. I forgot, Mike Cameron is the next Beltran, Vernon Wells, Edmonds all rolled up into one. He was the AL K-King at one point. Oh yeah I forgot, his defensive made such a difference. Roger Cedeno was who you were comparing him to.

When did I compare him to Beltran, Wells or Edmonds? Please. You're uninformed if you think Cameron wasn't a valuable acquisition for the Mets.

TheYanks04 wrote:Santana has had 2 good years...and 1 CY Young.

What is it with the Santana comparisons? Nobody except you compared Benson to Santana.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:25 pm

Amazinz wrote:I guess you don't think 2000 was a good year? And I'm pretty sure if Santana was a FA he'd get a bigger payday than $7.5M.

Actually it was YOU who mentioned Santana in the same breathe.

And as for Cameron being a "valuable" addition..so what and compared to what?...Roger Cedeno? Sturtz was a valuable addition to the Yanks...does mot make him a good pitcher andy more than it makes Cameron a good hitter or worth the money he is being paid to K 170+ times a year. Man hit .231, K'ed 143 time in less than 500 ABs hit for OK power...those are numbers worth lauding? This is a guy you want to build a contender with which is what the ownership was trying to do at the time?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Fireball Express » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:12 am

Best part of Benson in NY is his wife! :-D

Seriously though, this guy was to have all the potential in the world when he was drafted. He's been labled a future stud since he began. Maybe the Mets will get this out of him. While his past stats don't reflect his "hype", he still pitched well for the Mets last year, even in some of his losses. Put him in Shea, one of the best pitchers park, for a full season and let's see. No he won't be a Cy Young winner, but he probably will be a servicable frontline pitcher.

Oh I wish , I wish Pavano would come to the Mets. I think he'd be a perfect fit there. If he goes to either the Yanks or the BoSox his wins will increase while all his other numbers will be worse.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:24 am

TheYanks04 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I guess you don't think 2000 was a good year? And I'm pretty sure if Santana was a FA he'd get a bigger payday than $7.5M.

Actually it was YOU who mentioned Santana in the same breathe.

YOU were the one who said Benson was not the next Johan Santana. I said if Johan was a FA I'm pretty sure he'd net more than $7.5M per year. Ignorance is bliss. :-D
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Secret Avatar » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:19 pm

Seems like another idiotic deal by the Mets.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers