finally - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

finally

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

finally

Postby Viper8437 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:37 pm

Free agent right-hander Kris Benson has agreed to a three-year contract with the Mets. The deal is worth $22.5-million and is subject to Benson's completion of a physical on Monday, according to the Associated Press. There is a $7.5-million team option for a fourth season. Benson came over to the Mets from Pittsburgh in a deal at this year's trading deadline in July. For the season, his record was 12-12 and he had a 4.31 ERA.
reyes is my homeboy
Viper8437
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:43 pm

Finally what? The Mets wasted 22.5 M on a .500 pitcher with an ERA over 4.3 with an injury history?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby perlick29 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:49 pm

From fantasy perspectives he's a late round draft, maybe. Mets may have signed him for too much IMO.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Music2004Man » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:50 pm

The mets had to make this signing after they gave up half of their minor league system to get him.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby eftda » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:56 pm

WAY TOO MUCH
They should be paying him about 4 mill :-t
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:10 pm

Music2004Man wrote:The mets had to make this signing after they gave up half of their minor league system to get him.

You might be confusing trades here. The Mets traded Wigginton/Peterson for Benson/Keppinger.

I don't think Minaya felt like he had to get this done like Duquette might have else Minaya would have buckled under the initial counter offers.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:12 pm

eftda wrote:WAY TOO MUCH
They should be paying him about 4 mill :-t

$4M LOL :-D

$7.5 may be a little high but 4 was not going to cut it. I don't care if the Mets over-spend a little on good decisions and I think this was one of them.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:14 pm

One really has to wonder though. I think some form of save face issue is involved here. 22.5 M for Benson? What makes Benson worth that much in today's market? Of course I have been asking the same thing wrt Cashman and Milton, who is far worse a pitcher than Benson. Why has there been a run on these guys?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:27 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:One really has to wonder though. I think some form of save face issue is involved here. 22.5 M for Benson? What makes Benson worth that much in today's market? Of course I have been asking the same thing wrt Cashman and Milton, who is far worse a pitcher than Benson. Why has there been a run on these guys?

At least Milton has being a lefty going for him. I don't think Benson is worth nearly that much. Maybe $4-$5 million at best. 8-o
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:34 pm

The thing is, it is not lefty, it is "quality lefty" that is important. It seems some teams think that being a lefty warrants keeping a clown with no talent around. The Yanks signed Hitchcock awhile back for 2 years...a total loser. Heredia for 2 years...why? What made them sign someone like Felix Heredia at all, let alone for 2 years. Milton...he stinks. He has always stunk.

I agree on Benson. If guys like Benson are bringing in 7.5 M, then what are guys like Pavano going to want?....13 M? Pitching is in short supply and it looks like teams are WAY WAY overspending on some rather mediocre at best talent.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers