projections on mauer/burnett - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

projections on mauer/burnett

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

projections on mauer/burnett

Postby killercars » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:57 pm

i'm strategizing on who to keep, but this is not a keeper question it's to project these two players' value next season...

here's what i have...

mauer - 87/19/90/4/.304 (if he stays healthy... he may not have all his pop yet either)

burnett - 17-9/201k/3.22/1.12 (again, if he stays healthy... i think it was just a couple of years ago he tied randy johnson for complete games or shutouts... one of them... i def. think he's better than beckett, but def. more injury prone)

thanks..

mike
killercars
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:26 pm

You are in trouble when you are more injury prone than Beckett.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:31 pm

Mauer I see being around .285 80R 20HR 75RBI.

I haven't really started on pitchers yet but I don't see Burnett being that good 200K even if he stays healthy is pretty optimistic and I would expect an ERA betwen 3.5-3.6.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mustangs989 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:51 pm

I have Mauer at .300/15/70/80. Just looking at his ML numbers he seems to be more of an average hitter than a power hitter. Although those 6 HR last year in those limited at bats was surprising.

I have Burnett around 16/3.35/1.19/180
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Registered_Guest » Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:14 am

I have Mauer in the Top 10 Catchers and Burnett in the Top 15 overall pitchers for 2005.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:03 am

Registered_Guest wrote:I have Mauer in the Top 10 Catchers and Burnett in the Top 15 overall pitchers for 2005.

if both are healthy all year i could see this as well......but the chances of burnett being healthy all year arent very good........
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Niffoc4 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:17 pm

Burnett tied for CGSO I believe it was, but the load he carried that year innings-wise is the reason he had to have shoulder surgery the next year...
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby looptid » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:14 am

So far reports in the local papers are that Mauer's knee is responding well in the early going. I'll be holding my breath until opening day, if not longer.

The sample size from Mauer's 2004 season is admittedly much too small to be of great worth. But that doesn't mean the power he flashed wasn't for real either. He is a very big kid with a great eye, amazing athleticism, and tremendous plate discipline. I think a case can be made that his lack of power in the minor leagues had a great deal to do with his body still developing. He wasn't 21 until after opening day last season. Not too many kids are anywhere near their physical peak at 18, 19, and 20 years of age.

I would think there were many that would have thought six homeruns would be an accurate full-season total for Mauer going into last season. I constantly hear contact hitter, which seems a bit limited. Just because a guy hits for average doesn't mean he won't hit for power (nor does it mean he will).
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wkelly91 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:47 am

looptid wrote:So far reports in the local papers are that Mauer's knee is responding well in the early going. I'll be holding my breath until opening day, if not longer.

The sample size from Mauer's 2004 season is admittedly much too small to be of great worth. But that doesn't mean the power he flashed wasn't for real either. He is a very big kid with a great eye, amazing athleticism, and tremendous plate discipline. I think a case can be made that his lack of power in the minor leagues had a great deal to do with his body still developing. He wasn't 21 until after opening day last season. Not too many kids are anywhere near their physical peak at 18, 19, and 20 years of age.

I would think there were many that would have thought six homeruns would be an accurate full-season total for Mauer going into last season. I constantly hear contact hitter, which seems a bit limited. Just because a guy hits for average doesn't mean he won't hit for power (nor does it mean he will).

That's what they have been saying about Sean Burroughs :-P
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Registered_Guest » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:19 pm

Without the stats in front of me, didn't Mauer hit more HR's in 100 AB's last year than Burroughs has in like 2 seasons??

I know Mauer's a couple years younger as well. Burroughs must get out of Petco to ever hit for power.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers