Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:43 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:Not even close IMO:

1. Pujols
2. Beltran
3. Vlad

this is my top 3 as well
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eftda » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:30 pm

I would have moved Arod higer, but there are so many 3rd basemen, thathis value goes down
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:42 pm

I do not think the 3b depth is greater than that at 1b or the OF, esp when factoring in the need for a Corner IF, 1 or 2 Util positions and 5 OFs in most leagues. You can't really knock AROD down at 3b because of Rolen, Aramis Ramirez, Blolock, Chavez, et al any more than you can Pujols because of Thome, Helton and others or Vlad because of Manny, Sheff, and others. If you want to argue Arod will not post as good overall numbers as Pujols, Beltran, or Vlad that is one thing. But poistional arguments here do not make much sense IMO. 2b and maybe C are the only 2 positions which are move players up the rank charts by themselves.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby killercars » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:43 pm

beltran
pujols
vlad
killercars
College Coach
College Coach

Postby eftda » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:58 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:I do not think the 3b depth is greater than that at 1b or the OF, esp when factoring in the need for a Corner IF, 1 or 2 Util positions and 5 OFs in most leagues. You can't really knock AROD down at 3b because of Rolen, Aramis Ramirez, Blolock, Chavez, et al any more than you can Pujols because of Thome, Helton and others or Vlad because of Manny, Sheff, and others. If you want to argue Arod will not post as good overall numbers as Pujols, Beltran, or Vlad that is one thing. But poistional arguments here do not make much sense IMO. 2b and maybe C are the only 2 positions which are move players up the rank charts by themselves.

good point ;-D
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby perlick29 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:00 pm

eftda wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:I do not think the 3b depth is greater than that at 1b or the OF, esp when factoring in the need for a Corner IF, 1 or 2 Util positions and 5 OFs in most leagues. You can't really knock AROD down at 3b because of Rolen, Aramis Ramirez, Blolock, Chavez, et al any more than you can Pujols because of Thome, Helton and others or Vlad because of Manny, Sheff, and others. If you want to argue Arod will not post as good overall numbers as Pujols, Beltran, or Vlad that is one thing. But poistional arguments here do not make much sense IMO. 2b and maybe C are the only 2 positions which are move players up the rank charts by themselves.

good point ;-D

I'd probably put SS in that cat as well but some good points there.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tony Clark is my son » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:11 pm

I go like this:

Beltran
Pujols
Vlad
A-Rod

Beltran goes first because he does everything. He can run, field, hit for power, hit for average, and do anything involving the sport you can ask him except pitch. (I know he .258 in KC and .278 in Houston last year, but he's definately more than capable of hitting .300).

Pujols has power, too. Lots of it. And RBI. And runs. And average. He trails Beltran in fielding and running, and while he may surpass him elseware, he goes in second because he'e not as well rounded.

Vlad is like Beltran, except to a lesser extent. He strikes out a bit too much, and he should steal more than 15 bases. That all the problems I have with Vlad.

A-Rod can match, if not surpass, the numbers of any of these guys. He's in fourth for the sole reason that I'm not comfortable banking on a bounce-back year. Betting he will bounce back doesn't sit well with me, even though I think he can. Not to mention that Yankee stadium is no Ameriquest.
Tony Clark is my son
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:17 pm

I am as critical as Arod as anyone (mostly for being a choker) but he still ranked among the top 8 hitters in the league on an OFF year. This based on a 10 team 5x5 Roto format using the rototimes valuations. His value was greater than Manny and Tejada who finished 9, 10. You can debate the ranking but this was an OFF year for Arod and he is still a top 8 hitter. Bounce back? You mean you are not confident he wins the MVP?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Flockers » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:32 pm

1. Albert Pujols
2. Vlad Guerrero
3. Johan Santana (the man)
Flockers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert