OK, lets talk alittle about the Washington Nationals... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

OK, lets talk alittle about the Washington Nationals...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Niffoc4 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:44 pm

Batista is SO bad, that even a non-Coors Castilla is worth 2-4 wins.

As has been said... have you seen Castilla's home/road splits? Batista hit more HRs and got more RBIs and SB than Castilla will, and they will both have horrendous BA. The only plus for the Expos is that Castilla is a good fielder... which might make up for the fact that Guzman isn't...
The Expos will suck, injuries that effect anything other than the OF logjam will kill them.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:03 pm

Niffoc4 wrote:
Batista is SO bad, that even a non-Coors Castilla is worth 2-4 wins.

As has been said... have you seen Castilla's home/road splits? Batista hit more HRs and got more RBIs and SB than Castilla will, and they will both have horrendous BA. The only plus for the Expos is that Castilla is a good fielder... which might make up for the fact that Guzman isn't...
The Expos will suck, injuries that effect anything other than the OF logjam will kill them.

Yes, I have looked at Castilla's road splits, have you? His road OPS last year was .774 and over the last three years it is .738

Batista's OPS last year was .728. Over the last three years it is .719

As I said, Castilla is no great shakes, in our out of Coors. But, he is WAY better than Batista, and that gives a bump to the Expos performance for next year.

RBIs are team dependent, so they give little information about either player's value. And neither of these players steals enough bases with enough success for their SBs to matter at all.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:08 pm

stumpak wrote:Agree with the previous two posts--this will not be a good team. Guillen basically makes them better than a AAA team, but their offense is still crap. Anyone who goes near Castilla this year should familiarize themselves with Coors/non-Coors splits--hw will be entirely worthless. The bullpen stinks too--Cordero has not proven he can get it done and gives up too many walks, and it all tapers off from there. It will be another season where Guillen, Herandez, Vidro and a few other of the core parts will be around at the end but anything of value, especially in the bullpen, will be shipped off to contenders in July.

Castilla's non-Coors splits are BETTER than Batista's performance last year.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:13 pm

looptid wrote:
BumpWills wrote:Cabrera was SO bad last year, that even an average year by Guzman is a win or two.

An Guzman-average year, and not a national league shortstop-average year from Guzman is all Washington is likely to get. He had one fluke half-season to start off 2001, other than that, he's been consistantly among the worst offensive shortstops in baseball. If a sub-700 OPS is the Ex-Spos thing, Guzman is their man.

And does Castilla bat infront of Johnson? That seems like a mistake. Castilla over the past three years has been without question, absolutely horrible away from Coors.

Have you looked at what OCab gave the Expos last year? His OPS was .634

Giuzman's WORST OPS from 2000-2004 was .676.

People need to compare what the Expos are likely to get from these guys, as bad as they are, to what they actually got last year. Bad is an improvement over horrible. Sometimes you make your greatest improvements, not by getting great players, but by rplacing truly horrendous performance with merely mediocre performance.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby NZF » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:20 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:

As I said, Castilla is no great shakes, in our out of Coors. But, he is WAY better than Batista, and that gives a bump to the Expos performance for next year.

I agree with WRVERES. This team will still be awful. And you are kidding yourself if you think Castilla is a way better player than Batista. His career figures are inflated due to the amount of games he's played at Coors. Even if you include his 2004 season in Colorado, since 2000 his numbers are no better than Batista. Castilla is 37 and way past his best. As mediocre player as Batista is, at 30 he is just as good now as Castilla is.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: OK, lets talk alittle about the Washington Nationals...

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:24 pm

wrveres wrote:This team is awful...
No way this group wins 80 Games...
Vidro is clearly there best player, but outside of him, I cannot see the Nationals competing in the East.

1. Wilkerson (LF) - Career .259 BA - 2/1 K's to BB's
2. E. Chavez (CF) - Career .264 BA - .303 OBP - 2/1 K's to BB
3. Vidro (2nd) -
4. Guillen (RF) - Career .274 BA - 4/1 K's to BB's
5. Castilla (3rd) - Career .255 BA away from Coors field
6. Johnson (1st) - Career .255 BA
7. Guzman (SS) - Career .266 BA - .303 OBP - 3/1 K's BB
8. Schneider (C) - Career .252 BA -
9. Pitcher (P)

And why should I give a damn what their BAs are?

Wilkerson's OPS is .872
As I pointed out, Castilla and Guzman could suck, and STILL be yards better than what the Expos got from SS and 3B last year.
Removing their two biggest drains, and playing some of their good younger players gets them from a horrendous offense to merely a below average offense.

And their pitching, which is quite young, was not that far below league average, either. Reasonable improvement here should be expected.

I don't know if they'll get 80. 77/78 is more likely in my opinion, but 80's not impossible.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby grammysboy » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:42 pm

there appear to be too many "if's" and "maybe's" to think the Nationals will contend in the NL East. Over the years I've had several of these players as fill-ins for injury and can't think of one I was really impressed with. There are none I am willing to use a pick on in the first 10 rounds or spend much auction money on.

Vidro at 2B is the only player truly worth considering and that's mainly because it is such a shallow position.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Nerfherders » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:20 pm

And another thing to consider is how RFK will play.. Is it going to be a pitchers park, a hitters park, or more neutral?

This will greatly effect guys like Wilkerson and Castilla because they are swing-for-the-fences types.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Re: OK, lets talk alittle about the Washington Nationals...

Postby wrveres » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:46 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:And why should I give a damn what their BAs are?
Wilkerson's OPS is .872

1. Wilkerson (LF) - Career .838 OPS - 2/1 K's to BB's
2. E. Chavez (CF) - Career .668 OPS - .303 OBP - 2/1 K's to BB
3. Vidro (2nd) - Career .837 OPS
4. Guillen (RF) - Career .764 OPS - 4/1 K's to BB's
5. Castilla (3rd) - Career .813 OPS INCLUDING Coors field
6. Johnson (1st) - Career .790 OPS
7. Guzman (SS) - Career .685 OPS - .303 OBP - 3/1 K's BB
8. Schneider (C) - Career .720 OPS

does that make them look more impressive?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:51 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:

I agree with WRVERES. This team will still be awful. And you are kidding yourself if you think Castilla is a way better player than Batista. His career figures are inflated due to the amount of games he's played at Coors. Even if you include his 2004 season in Colorado, since 2000 his numbers are no better than Batista. Castilla is 37 and way past his best. As mediocre player as Batista is, at 30 he is just as good now as Castilla is.

Since the numbers I've cited for Castilla are his numbers OUTSIDE of Coors, there is NO Coors effect in them.

Last year, Batista posted an OBP of .272, gang. And his slugging percentage was LOWER than Castilla's OUTSIDE of Coors.

Vinny can stink up the joint and STILL be better than Batista was last year.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers