SB Threats? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SB Threats?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pedantic » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:08 pm

DominicanLou wrote:Gathright in Tampa and Freddy Sanchez in San Diego are probably the two biggest sleepers.


I saw Sanchez play in AAA. Boy has some wheels. I was impressed with his ability to get on base, too. He only had one hit, I think, but got on at least once more with a walk. Or at least I think that's how it went. It's all a bit fuzzy. :-b
Image
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 6725
Joined: 5 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Funny movie quote that everyone knows

Postby grammysboy » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:24 pm

I think earlier posts have the Dave Roberts situation pegged pretty well. I also found it curious that Tejada didn't steal more with the O's. I'm concerned about the people at the top of the Baltimore line-up who would project as strong in SB - Roberts and Hairston - Is there any word on which will be playing 2B next season? Does anyone know why Roberts' SBs hit a brick wall around the first of June?
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2861
Joined: 26 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ridin' the Pine

Postby stumpak » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:37 pm

My recollection is that he started hitting 2nd quite a bit after Hairston came back, but I could be remembering wrong. He also got in base less in the second half of the season, period.

Either way, I would not get excited by Roberts. He is pretty much of journeyman caliber, and I would expect Hairston to eventually emerge as the long-term solution.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2729
Joined: 9 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Postby NZF » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:44 pm

DK wrote:
Tony Clark is my son wrote:Remember, when looking for stolen bases, avoid the Red Sox, A's, and Blue Jays. None of them guys steal, even if they're capable of it.

Which brings me to one of my surprises in '04. I thought Miguel Tejada would steal more than 4 bases, as he stole 28 in the previously three years with the OAKLAND A'S


Well, that's because his success rate was outstanding. I suspected the same thing, but maybe it's because he was the #3 hitter. Baltimore only wants a certain section of their players to run, and the 150-RBI guy isn't the runner.



I was also suprised Tejada didn't run more last season considering he went from a team that doesn't run ( where he was stealing) to a team that does. I don't buy that "150 RBI guy isn't the runner" stuff.
Just because the guy is an RBI machine why should that mean he doesn't get the green light? He stole 10 bases from 10 attempts in 2003 with Oakland when he was only hitting .278 and not entirely healthy. With that in mind I rated him No. 2 SS behind A-Rod and drafted him second in 4 of my five teams hoping for 15-20 steals on top of his power numbers.

The last 3 seasons his stolen base success rate is over 85%. Naturally I was rapt with his production last season but why didn't the O's let him run more in 2004?
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4795
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Postby DK » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:50 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:
DK wrote:
Tony Clark is my son wrote:Remember, when looking for stolen bases, avoid the Red Sox, A's, and Blue Jays. None of them guys steal, even if they're capable of it.

Which brings me to one of my surprises in '04. I thought Miguel Tejada would steal more than 4 bases, as he stole 28 in the previously three years with the OAKLAND A'S


Well, that's because his success rate was outstanding. I suspected the same thing, but maybe it's because he was the #3 hitter. Baltimore only wants a certain section of their players to run, and the 150-RBI guy isn't the runner.



I was also suprised Tejada didn't run more last season considering he went from a team that doesn't run ( where he was stealing) to a team that does. I don't buy that "150 RBI guy isn't the runner" stuff.
Just because the guy is an RBI machine why should that mean he doesn't get the green light? He stole 10 bases from 10 attempts in 2003 with Oakland when he was only hitting .278 and not entirely healthy. With that in mind I rated him No. 2 SS behind A-Rod and drafted him second in 4 of my five teams hoping for 15-20 steals on top of his power numbers.

The last 3 seasons his stolen base success rate is over 85%. Naturally I was rapt with his production last season but why didn't the O's let him run more in 2004?


It's my theory. I never said you had to buy into it. If you have a better one, feel free to share. :-)
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby NZF » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:05 pm

DK wrote:
It's my theory. I never said you had to buy into it. If you have a better one, feel free to share. :-)


To be brutally honest I haven't. Tejada running less in Baltimore makes no sense at all which is the reason for my question. I respect your opinion but see no sense whatsoever in your theory. Please feel free to expand on it because I'm obviously missing something.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4795
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Postby bunyan » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:39 pm

Shortstop: When the Nationals signed Guzman to a four-year, $16.8 million contract, Bowden called Guzman one of the cornerstones of the franchise. Guzman helped the Twins win three consecutive division titles, and Bowden feels that Guzman, a career .266 hitter, hasn't scratched the surface as a hitter.

Bowden also said Guzman is expected to be let loose and steal a lot of bases. Guzman's career high in steals is 28, accomplished in 2000.


So they're going to let guzman run? now he might have some kind of value... we still don't know the dimensions of the new park in DC, so who knows? He might even hit...
bunyan
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 269
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby crapshooter » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:13 pm

How do you call Gathright a sleeper????? He was wanted by everyone in my league last season
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 743
Joined: 1 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: raking the mound

Postby Tony Clark is my son » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:35 pm

Gathwright's coveted...ness.... depends on how deeps you league is. Unless your league is pretty deep, he could probably pass as a sleeper.
Tony Clark is my son
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 104
Joined: 17 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Arizona now, apparently

Postby Amazinz » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:46 pm

The most SBs Tejada has ever had in a season was 11. 4 isn't really all that surprising. He's not that fast. Yes he has a lifetime SB% of 71% but that's 53 out of 74 over 8 seasons. I would guess his success has a lot to do with the element of surprise. Why risk the stolen base when the O's had Palmeiro and Lopez coming up behind him? ;-)
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Aug. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

NY Yankees at Boston
(4:05 pm)
Kansas City at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Seattle at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Texas at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Colorado at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
LA Angels at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Francisco at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Houston
(7:10 pm)
Minnesota at Chi White Sox
(7:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(7:15 pm)
Pittsburgh at Arizona
(8:10 pm)
Atlanta at San Diego
(8:40 pm)
Chi Cubs at LA Dodgers
(9:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact