Guillermo Mota - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Guillermo Mota

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:19 pm

eftda wrote:na its cool...

but ya. IMO, the long ball sucks. I love small ball. single... steal... bunt... sac fly.... works all the time if the number one hitter gets on ;-D

Not to hijack the thread, but you'd be surprised how little it actually does work. First, the #1 guy actually has to get on, which happens about 35% of the time. Then, the guy on first has to actually steal successfully, which will happen about 60% of the time. Then, the sac bunt to move him over to third has to go down successfully, which happens about 75% of the time. Fourth, the last hitter has to hit a deep enough fly ball to center-right, which will happen about 15% of the time. If he Simple math tells us that the chance of all that working out is roughly 2%, or twice every nine games.

On a home run, at least one run scores 100% of the time, so I'd rather have one of those than sacrifice the outs.

But I digress...

I don't know enough about Mota's stats, but I do know that Dotel gave up too many HR's last year in Oakland. He'll probably revert to form in 2005.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eftda » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:24 pm

THe best time for thatone play is int he first inning. You have two types of #1 hitters. A guy who will swing away or a guy who will take pitches. If he gets on base then its a good chance he will score. If he isn't fast, then sac bunt him to 2nd. Tht was the #3, 4 hitters have a RISP... how about that one. In baseball, you can fail 70% of the time and still be an all-star ;-D
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers