Spreadsheet help! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Spreadsheet help!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:38 pm

citti34 wrote:I'm having a problem when trying to follow the instructions in using the database. The database 'lahman_52' is read only, it states:
You won't be able to save changes made to data or object definitions in this database.

Right click on the file icon for lahman_52.mdb and click 'Properties'. Near the bottom of the properties form will be a checked check box labeled 'Read-only'. Uncheck that, click OK. Now you should be good to go.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby citti34 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:43 pm

Amazinz wrote:[Right click on the file icon for lahman_52.mdb and click 'Properties'. Near the bottom of the properties form will be a checked check box labeled 'Read-only'. Uncheck that, click OK. Now you should be good to go.

Yeah, I tried that earlier, it was unchecked. I read the Lahman file, and it says this doc is a read only, I just don't understand how other people have altered it.
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:42 pm

Are you reading the database file across a network by any chance?

Also, can you create a simple text file with Notepad in the same directory as the database file and edit its contents?

And are you using Access? What version? If not what DB manager are you using?
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby citti34 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:29 am

Amazinz wrote:Are you reading the database file across a network by any chance?

Also, can you create a simple text file with Notepad in the same directory as the database file and edit its contents?

And are you using Access? What version? If not what DB manager are you using?

I just down loaded the data from http://baseball1.com/statistics/ I have access 2000.
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby citti34 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:24 pm

Pedantic wrote:Sorry, about the length. Hopefully it helped some, anyway. But, for the faint of heart, fear not! I have weighted statistics right here, straight from Lahman's 5.2 DB. On a side note, just discovered the Lahman DB. Amazing stuff. Now I know why Tavish looks like such a genuis. :-D Right-click and save target as for batters and pitchers. Both are comma-delimited text files with character strings enclosed with the double quote character and lines terminated by carriage return and new line.

Batting categories are first_name, last_name, playerid, wtd_runs, wtd_hr, wtd_rbi, wtd_sb, wtd_avg, wtd_hits, wtd_ab, wtd_2b, wtd_3b, wtd_xbh, wtd_sb_pct, wtd_bb, wtd_so, wtd_bb_so, wtd_obp, wtd_slg, wtd_isop, wtd_ops, respectively.

Pitching categories are first_name, last_name, playerid, wtd_wins, wtd_losses, wtd_gp, wtd_gs, wtd_cg, wtd_sho, wtd_sv, wtd_ip, wtd_hits, wtd_era, wtd_whip, wtd_bb, wtd_so, wtd_so_bb, wtd_hr, wtd_hr_9, wtd_wp, wtd_hbp, wtd_bfp, wtd_g_fnsh, wtd_ravg, respectively.

In a MS Access DB, go to File > Get External Data > Import. Switch the file type to .txt and import the two text files (make sure to get the categories right, or you could have some really messed up tables :-b) and voila, you have two tables with three-year weighted statistics! Cheers!

Oh, and on last note, the playerid column should be the primary key. Enjoy!

How do I input the text files inteo access?
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:47 pm

citti34 wrote:
Pedantic wrote:In a MS Access DB, go to File > Get External Data > Import. Switch the file type to .txt and import the two text files (make sure to get the categories right, or you could have some really messed up tables :-b) and voila, you have two tables with three-year weighted statistics! Cheers!

Oh, and on last note, the playerid column should be the primary key. Enjoy!

How do I input the text files inteo access?

Did you try it the way Pedantic showed? I bolded what he wrote. That's the correct way and should work.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby citti34 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:51 pm

Yeah, when I go to import them they don't show up as a file.
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:02 pm

On the open file dialog you have to click the "Files of type:" drop-down box and select text files.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby citti34 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:24 pm

I'm an idiot, it's not working.
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby citti34 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:37 pm

I went to file-export-export(import wan't an option, which is problem)
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers