Spreadsheet help! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Spreadsheet help!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:38 am

Pedantic wrote:Well, if they meant structured in that sense, why didn't they use "Standardized"?

I have no idea. Perhaps if you had coined the acronym it would have been Silly Query Language. :-D

Pedantic wrote:Weeell, first of all, you're forgetting FROM.

From is part of a SELECT statement.

Pedantic wrote:And while WHERE may be a clause in a statement, it is certainly not the most crucial part, and certainly cannot form its own statement.

Internally, SELECT and SELECT WHERE are very different types of queries.

Pedantic wrote:UPDATE, DELETE, and INSERT are also not queries. A query returns information from one or more tables.

Incorrect. You're confusing the definition of the word query with the definition of a query in the sense of database operations. Consider UPDATE. To SQL this is what you are asking: Can you UPDATE? If so please go ahead and do it. (Always ask politely, databases can be grumpy creatures).

For it would be most difficult to actually create a database in the first place. It would also be rather difficult to create or alter a table, now wouldn't it? And creating indices and views would most certainly be impossible, would it not?

No. Again I think you have a misconception about what these things are. Creating tables and indices are queries and are just advanced wrappers around the update mechanisms.

Chris Fehily wrote:It's a common misconception that SQL stands for structured query language; it stands for S-Q-L and nothing else. Why? Because ANSI says so. The official name is Database Language SQL...

This is correct. ANSI will not admit that it is an ancronym but everyone in the industry knows that it is just sillines. It has to do with some conflict with IBM which created the precursor to SQL, SEQUEL. The original creators of SQL say it is an acronym. ANSI, who standardized it says it is not. Believe who you want.

Chris Fehily wrote:Furthermore, referring to it as a structured query language is a disservice to new SQL programmers; it amuses database professionals and academics to point out that "structured query language" is the worst possible description, as SQL:
  • Isn't structured (because it can't be broken down into blocks or procedures)
  • Isn't limited to only queries (that is, there's more than just the SELECT statement)
  • Isn't a complete language (according to Turing's Thesis, which you'll study should you take Theory of Computation)

Mr. Fehily's quickstart guide is incorrect.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:35 am

i know this thread is like a week old, but i only found some free time this friday and tried what u've guys have posted.

this is awesome. thanks a lot guys ;-D
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby pgbridge2000 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:17 pm

Pedantic you seemed to have the same problem I had which was people who didn't have 3 years of stats didn't show up as having any stats (i specifically noticed bobby crosby and scott posednik) is there a way to have it add them in, and also maybe account for missing stats by figuring their projections differently?

As it were, i think there should be a contest (i know last i think i made there already was one) to see who (when playing around with stats formulas can make previous years stats come closest to the next year, like testing the formula such that the X number of years it calculates by will be almost as accurate for any year its projecting for (to eliminate someone working the stats to only work for one year) that way we can really see what formula can predict most accurately (it could be tested by having the actual stats from that year used to get the % error and then get the average % error of every single projected statistic). I know a lot of people don't want to give up their secret formula but even if it were an anonomous trust based test (people submitting their avg % error for say 3 different years) and seeing who is best on the honor system it would be cool to find out who has the ultimate system (upon finding out a few people might be able to make some money selling their projection software instead of the stuff you can buy but don't know how accurate it is).
There are 3 ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!
pgbridge2000
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:47 pm

pgbridge2000 wrote:Pedantic you seemed to have the same problem I had which was people who didn't have 3 years of stats didn't show up as having any stats (i specifically noticed bobby crosby and scott posednik) is there a way to have it add them in, and also maybe account for missing stats by figuring their projections differently?

There is a way to solve this problem. What you do is use an IIF statement. You say that IIF(isnull(stat2002), 0, stat2002) Then you add that to the 2003 and 2004 stats to get your average. You can weight each year by multiplying the 3rd argument by a coefficient. If you have further questions, refer to this thread:
http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/v ... hp?t=90558. Amazinz gives some pretty good advice.

As for your other idea, I think it would be pretty cool, but I doubt many people would be able to participate. I know that I have used a weighted average formula to give myself a base projection, then I fudge the numbers for players I think will perform differently than the average predicts. Thats how I account for players who didnt play in certain years like Pods and Crosby. So I will come away with projections, but not based on any type of special formula. I doubt that anybody really uses a formula for their entire projections; I am sure they use their baseball knowhow to fudge some numbers.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:46 pm

Excell Question ....

is there a way to combine two colums with out losing the text data?
EXP: some times i come across info that I want cut n paste from anothe site, but the first and last names are in seprate columns. How can I combine the two so they work with my pivot tables?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby RugbyD » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:00 pm

This is from the excel help index under "merge"

A B
1 First Name Last Name
2 Nancy Davolio
3 Andrew Fuller
Formula Description (Result)
=A2&" "&B2 Combines the names above, separated by a space (Nancy Davolio)
=B3&", "&A3 Combines the names above, separated by a comma (Fuller, Andrew)
=CONCATENATE(A2," ",B2) Combines the names above, separated by a space (Nancy Davolio)

Note The formula inserts a space between the first and last names by using a space enclosed within quotation marks. Use quotation marks to include any literal text — text that does not change — in the result.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby wrveres » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:03 pm

RugbyD wrote:This is from the excel help index under "merge"

A B
1 First Name Last Name
2 Nancy Davolio
3 Andrew Fuller
Formula Description (Result)
=A2&" "&B2 Combines the names above, separated by a space (Nancy Davolio)
=B3&", "&A3 Combines the names above, separated by a comma (Fuller, Andrew)
=CONCATENATE(A2," ",B2) Combines the names above, separated by a space (Nancy Davolio)

Note The formula inserts a space between the first and last names by using a space enclosed within quotation marks. Use quotation marks to include any literal text — text that does not change — in the result.

thanks a million ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby Wyatt » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:14 pm

Cool I just asked my boss this morning how to do this. He only knew how to perform it in access. Alot easier in excel.

Thanks
Wyatt
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:18 pm

Is there a way to do this in reverse? It's probably a lot more complicated, but I guezz is names are separated by a commo or space it would be possible.

BTW rugby I've been wondering for a while how to combine cells like that, thkans for the tip (for all us guys who don't read the help manual :*)

;-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:20 pm

LBJackal wrote:Is there a way to do this in reverse? It's probably a lot more complicated, but I guezz is names are separated by a commo or space it would be possible.

Data->Text to Columns
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers