Spreadsheet help! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Spreadsheet help!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Spreadsheet help!

Postby Music2004Man » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:18 pm

Can anyone help me set up a projection spreadsheet for next year. I just want to do .5, .33. 17. My scoring categories look like this.

Scoring
Batters
R: 1
H: 1
2B: 1
3B: 2
HR: 3
RBI: 1
BB: 1
SO: -1
SB: 2
CS: 1
SAC: 1
GIDP: -1
E: -1
Pitchers:
IP: 1 per 1/3
W: 10
L: -5
SV: 10
BS: -5
CG: 5
SHO: 10
H: -1
BB: -1
K: 1
ER: -1
WP: -1
BK: -1
HBP: -1

Any help on how to set this up would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with spreadsheets.

Thanks
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:34 pm

Thats a ton of calculations, especially since you would be looking at 3 yr averages for things like GIDP and Errors.

Overall, it shouldn't be that hard if you can find all of the necassary stats for all the players over the last 3 years, just very time consuming

The best thing to do is to just open up Excell and start playing around. Thats how most of us learned to use it. start with your simple formulas like BA or RC and then you will get the hang of "Cells, Rows and Columns" in no time.

If you need the last three years of stats, Try this link ..

http://www.dougstats.com/
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby Music2004Man » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:36 pm

Thanks for the link. I think that will be very helpful.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pedantic » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:43 pm

I would definitely not recommend using a spreadsheet for three year calculations. Spreadsheets are OK (but not ideal) for one year calculations, but for more than one year, you are going to want to go the way of a database. Using spreadsheets to do the all calculations for three years' worth of data is the equivalent of violating the <a href="http://www.stuart.iit.edu/courses/im510/database/1NF.htm">First Normal Form</a> (i.e. big no-no).

Not to mention, although it may seem daunting to learn how to program a database, it is really quite simple and easy to understand, and it will save you tons and tons of time and the headache of trying to get it to work in a spreadsheet. Microsoft Access is good if you're a DB novice. If you don't have Access and are willing to put in a bit more work, <a href="http://www.mysql.com">MySQL</a> is a (free!) DBMS with a great deal of the same features as commercial DBMS' like Oracle. <a href="http://www.w3schools.com/sql/">Here</a> is a tutorial if you plan on using MySQL.

Edit: Why the blankety-blank aren't the links showing up? Ugh. :-/
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby wrveres » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:58 pm

I have Access and have never figured it out ...
I even downloaded that huge "baseball database", three or four times actually, but cannot figure out how to use it. :*)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pedantic » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:10 pm

wrveres wrote:I have Access and have never figured it out ...
I even downloaded that huge "baseball database", three or four times actually, but cannot figure out how to use it. :*)

Once you get the hang of it, it's much easier and much more powerful than a spreadsheet. It's definitely worth the effort. If I had to do all the things in Excel that I've done in a database, I'd probably die.

For instance, instead of killing yourself with three-year totals on one spreadsheet, you would have three different tables, each with separate data for each particular year. Then, in one fell swoop (actually, in Access I think it'd have to be two steps, since it's not as powerful as full DBMS'), you could multiply the respective years by the respective numbers, add them up, and voila, you have your three-year calculations. Something like that would probably take five minutes or less in a DB once you know what you're doing. Not to mention, you'd have the ability to sort the new table by rank or filter for certain numbers or even positions or perform any number of complex calculations. Now think how long that would take in Excel. Yeah. :-)
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby wrveres » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:19 pm

Pedantic wrote:

Once you get the hang of it, it's much easier and much more powerful than a spreadsheet. It's definitely worth the effort. If I had to do all the things in Excel that I've done in a database, I'd probably die.

For instance, instead of killing yourself with three-year totals on one spreadsheet, you would have three different tables, each with separate data for each particular year. Then, in one fell swoop (actually, in Access I think it'd have to be two steps, since it's not as powerful as full DBMS'), you could multiply the respective years by the respective numbers, add them up, and voila, you have your three-year calculations. Something like that would probably take five minutes or less in a DB once you know what you're doing. Not to mention, you'd have the ability to sort the new table by rank or filter for certain numbers or even positions or perform any number of complex calculations. Now think how long that would take in Excel. Yeah. :-)

8-o
Yeah no kidding ...

wrveres new years resolution ....
Learn Microsoft Access ...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Music2004Man » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:20 pm

haha, oh man, so I've never even set up a spreadsheet before and now I'm going to try a database. This could be interesting. Have you set-up a database for 3 year stats, Pedantic?
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby LBJackal » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:23 pm

I tried using Access and I got way too confused. I got the info in the database, I can run queries and stuff, but it doesn't really help more than Excel. How would I go about doing what you just said; like taking 3 year averages? It's not really what I'm looking to do, but it would be pretty much the same thing (only loking at more than 3 years).

How do you get more than one group of info into the database? As of now, I can only get one. Maybe a little beginner's guide would be nice; since you seem to know what you're doing, and know what we need to use Access for, I'm sure it wouldn't take too long to help us Access-illiterate excel users to learn how to properly use a database O:-)

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:46 pm

Pedantic wrote:

Pedantic, you can just use Excel as the frontend to the database. You can set all of your queries up in Excel to access your Access database (or any other database of you choosing). Instead of viewing it as one or the other look into using both. ;-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers