Cards' Offer For Randy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Cards' Offer For Randy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:05 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Here's yet another reason why the Cardinals covet Diamondbacks LHP Randy Johnson in a trade: Johnson is 12-0 with a 1.98 ERA in 13 career starts against the Cubs, including 4-0 with a 1.00 ERA in five starts at Wrigley Field. Cubs 1B Derrek Lee and 3B Aramis Ramirez are 7-for-39 combined (.179) against Johnson, with 25 strikeouts and two walks. ...

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3183880

hmmmmm....

psst...we hate the Cubs, right?

Wait, the Cards don't need any help beating the Cubs. :-? :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:24 am

Another update. It's dated the 23rd, but I didn't see it yesterday. Talks a lot about Renteria's situation as well. ;-D

STLPD
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JTWood » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:10 am

I like this part of that article:

Walt Jocketty wrote:Jocketty recently trashed print reports that the club had offered pitchers Dan Haren, Rick Ankiel and Kiko Calero for Johnson. La Russa said Tuesday that the report "shouldn't be taken with a grain of salt but with a package of salt."

:-b
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby JTWood » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:30 am

From the J. Vazquez post in the General Forum:

TheYanks04 wrote:Unfortunately, latest reports are that the Yanks are now planning on keeping him. Milton and Vaz at the bottom of the rotation...should be good by themselves for 1.5 Ls every 5 games on avg.

Rotoworld:
According to the New York Daily News, the Yankees are prepared to make a four-year offer to Carl Pavano.
The paper believes the Yankees will give up on acquiring Randy Johnson (until July anyway) and try to enter next season with a rotation of Mike Mussina, Pavano, Javier Vazquez, Eric Milton and Jaret Wright. They could still ink Pavano and try to re-sign Orlando Hernandez as a sixth starter. Kevin Brown will be dumped on another team, maybe Atlanta.

Things may change, but it is looking like the D'backs are just way out of the ball park on their trade demands. It is plausible that the Yanks have decided to move on. They can't wait for for Colango to come to his senses while people are being signed.

I say this is great news for the Cards if the Yanks really do bow out. That's a big if. I mean a big...

IF

Assuming this is true, I am feeling really good about this team's Free Agent situation. We've got the insider corner on a cheaper Renteria, a good shot at a second baseman in Polanco, a cheap arm in Morris, and trade talks going for Zito, Hudson, and hopefully Johnson (with the talent to trade for any of them).

Happy feelings... :-]
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:04 am

JTWood wrote:From the J. Vazquez post in the General Forum:

TheYanks04 wrote:Unfortunately, latest reports are that the Yanks are now planning on keeping him. Milton and Vaz at the bottom of the rotation...should be good by themselves for 1.5 Ls every 5 games on avg.

Rotoworld:
According to the New York Daily News, the Yankees are prepared to make a four-year offer to Carl Pavano.
The paper believes the Yankees will give up on acquiring Randy Johnson (until July anyway) and try to enter next season with a rotation of Mike Mussina, Pavano, Javier Vazquez, Eric Milton and Jaret Wright. They could still ink Pavano and try to re-sign Orlando Hernandez as a sixth starter. Kevin Brown will be dumped on another team, maybe Atlanta.

Things may change, but it is looking like the D'backs are just way out of the ball park on their trade demands. It is plausible that the Yanks have decided to move on. They can't wait for for Colango to come to his senses while people are being signed.

I say this is great news for the Cards if the Yanks really do bow out. That's a big if. I mean a big...

IF

Assuming this is true, I am feeling really good about this team's Free Agent situation. We've got the insider corner on a cheaper Renteria, a good shot at a second baseman in Polanco, a cheap arm in Morris, and trade talks going for Zito, Hudson, and hopefully Johnson (with the talent to trade for any of them).

Happy feelings... :-]

I don't want Johnson. Actually let me rephrase that, I don't want to give up what it will take to get Johnson. :-/ He's going to cost an arm and a leg, well actually two arms more than likely, two young promising arms for what? One or two years from RJ? I'm sorry, but I'm in the minority on this one because I'd rather have Zito or Hudson than trade for RJ. Sure he's probably the greatest pitcher in the game, but we didn't get here overpaying for older talent, so unless Walt pulls a rabbit out of a hat, I don't see him coming, which would suit me just fine. Sorry to burst your bubble. :-/ I do agree about Renteria though, he should be locked up for several years now. :-)
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:19 am

Well, I wasn't so much saying that we should go for Johnson as I was trying to say that we might actually be able to get a pitcher for cheap now that all of these alternatives popped up. If you are working on Clement (whom I left off of the list), Zito, Hudson, and the Unit all at the same time, it becomes a little easier to offer a little less in exchange for the same thing.

I was really just trying to say that the Cards bargaining power seems to be growing every day.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:50 am

rotoworld is reporting RJ only wants to go the yanks. anyway, i think the cards bowed out of the RJ sweepstakes weeks ago. RJ or hudson would be pretty bold moves by walt and it seems he usually comes in under the radar. maybe we go for clement. maybe the yanks will pay us to take brown off their hands. i think whatever he does it will be unexpected.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:51 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:rotoworld is reporting RJ only wants to go the yanks. anyway, i think the cards bowed out of the RJ sweepstakes weeks ago. RJ or hudson would be pretty bold moves by walt and it seems he usually comes in under the radar. maybe we go for clement. maybe the yanks will pay us to take brown off their hands. i think whatever he does it will be unexpected.

Good points there.

;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:56 pm

I see what you're saying Sluggers, I just don't really have any desire to land RJ unless he comes super cheap, which he will not, that's all. I think Clement would be a great fit personally, but like jd said Jocketty will probably pull of some big move when no one is expecting it. ;-D
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to St. Louis Cardinals