Cards' Offer For Randy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Cards' Offer For Randy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:30 pm

Yeah, I don't think the Chicago offer is nearly as strong as the offer player-wise from STL or the ever popular cash from NYY.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:48 am

November 19, 2004

Tracing the “Hot” Johnson Rumor Mill

By Brian Walton

Regular reader Shawn Puckett asked me about the trade rumors swirling around Randy Johnson and the reported price in young players it would take to get him.

What may have been the initial report was not even a report. It was carefully worded speculation; yet it has been repeated and repeated and enhanced again. As far as I can tell, it began with an item posed over a week ago by Peter Gammons-lite, also known as Ken Rosenthal of The Sporting News. No one credible has been quoted here. They just keep rehashing the same rumor. I attach no credence to the specific names mentioned. Read and decide for yourself.

Rosenthal (11/11): In this article, Rosenthal simply suggests that Arizona “likely would demand” Haren and Ankiel. http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3146358

Dayn Perry, TSN (11/11): “Such a trade would likely mean the Cards would part with Ps Rick Ankiel and Dan Haren and a prospect.” http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3147160

Newsday (11/16): “It is believed” that Haren, Calero and Ankiel are part of a package proposed by the Cards for Johnson. No information was provided on WHO believes that. http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ ... 2978.story

Post-Dispatch (11/17): Nothing new reported. It would have been nice for the local paper to provide some insight. No such luck. Related Story Link

But, wait. Bernie Miklasz of the P-D did speak with Walt Jocketty on the 14th. While is it not a direct quote, here is what it implied as to Jocketty’s thinking. “Jocketty is reluctant to part with pitchers Dan Haren, Rick Ankiel or Anthony Reyes, or catchers Yadier Molina or Daric Barton.” Perhaps Bernie is being used to enhance Walt's negotiating position, but I don’t think so. I believe these are among the guys who Walt wants to keep. Good idea. Related Story Link

Jayson Stark, ESPN (11/18): “…they would have to give up Danny Haren. No doubt about that. Tough to forecast the rest of the package yet, since they haven't even talked. But there are indications Randy is willing to go to St. Louis, and the Cardinals would make a major run at him if that's the case. But Arizona's price would be really high - at least three young "sure things" and maybe four. The Cardinals might not be able to meet that price. In fact, no one but Anaheim might be capable of meeting that price.” http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=6530 (subscription required)

Expect the unexpected. If Walt pulls off a deal, it will be for someone like Barry Zito or a name that has even been less frequently reported than that. Walt has never tipped his hand to the press and isn’t about to start now. He knows he needs to carry out due diligence on Johnson, but I bet in his heart, Walt is well aware that Johnson isn’t coming to St. Louis.

Bottom line, Walt knows what he is doing. I don’t think TSN or Newsday have the slightest idea.

http://www.thestlcardinals.com/Tracingt ... rMill.html
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:16 pm

Interesting read, but I have to go with the last line of that quote:

Bottom line, Walt knows what he is doing. I don’t think TSN or Newsday have the slightest idea.

I agree with that. I think Jocketty is too savy to give up that much young talented SP for at most 1-2 good years from RJ. I keep saying this over and over and maybe it's wishful thinking, but they don't have to make a run for next year. It's not next year or bust like it is for so many teams. If they can lock up Renteria long term that means they will have Rolen, Pujols, Renteria, and a good core of young SP's and a solid pen for the next 4-5-? years. Edmonds can be replaced (maybe not replaced, but a servicable CF can be found if he doesn't come back) Walker isn't the Walker of the 90's, LF has never been a strength of this team, and Molina is maturing well under Matheny so far IMO. Sorry I went so far off topic there, I just can't understand why there would be any interest in RJ from the Cards. :-/
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:19 pm

I was reading this over at ESPN.com and wasn't aware there was a push for Milton in STL, but according to this article there is. :-o Give me RJ 100 times over before you over pay for Milton. :-t He's the equivalent to a left handed Matt Morris IMO.

Meanwhile, the Cardinals also are gearing up for a big run at the Unit. But one baseball man who has talked to them reports that behind the scenes, "they're in on Eric Milton, hard."
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:29 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I was reading this over at ESPN.com and wasn't aware there was a push for Milton in STL, but according to this article there is. :-o Give me RJ 100 times over before you over pay for Milton. :-t He's the equivalent to a left handed Matt Morris IMO.

Meanwhile, the Cardinals also are gearing up for a big run at the Unit. But one baseball man who has talked to them reports that behind the scenes, "they're in on Eric Milton, hard."

i saw that. i dont think there is anything to it. if the yankees are interested in milton he will thankfully be out of our price range. he isnt a terrible pitcher, but he is overrated for the simple fact he can throw with his left hand. of the free agent lefties i think odalis perez is probably a better bet and glendon rusch would probably give the most bang for the buck, though i am not terribly excited about either of them.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:50 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I was reading this over at ESPN.com and wasn't aware there was a push for Milton in STL, but according to this article there is. :-o Give me RJ 100 times over before you over pay for Milton. :-t He's the equivalent to a left handed Matt Morris IMO.

i saw that. i dont think there is anything to it. if the yankees are interested in milton he will thankfully be out of our price range. he isnt a terrible pitcher, but he is overrated for the simple fact he can throw with his left hand. of the free agent lefties i think odalis perez is probably a better bet and glendon rusch would probably give the most bang for the buck, though i am not terribly excited about either of them.

Rusch is very over priced IMO. :-t Perez is a good option, flying under the radar I think. I didn't really put much in the original report, but there had to be at least some interest I would think for a report to come out. :-?
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:35 am

No Milton. Please, no Milton. Do the right thing, Walt...

:-o
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:13 am

StlSluggers wrote:No Milton. Please, no Milton. Do the right thing, Walt...

:-o

I wouldn't worry Sluggers. The deal I have heard NYY is offering Milton is 3 years between 18-24 million. STL won't throw that kind of money at Milton for 3 years. I would bet Milton and Kline are Yankees by Christmas.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:58 pm

Here's yet another reason why the Cardinals covet Diamondbacks LHP Randy Johnson in a trade: Johnson is 12-0 with a 1.98 ERA in 13 career starts against the Cubs, including 4-0 with a 1.00 ERA in five starts at Wrigley Field. Cubs 1B Derrek Lee and 3B Aramis Ramirez are 7-for-39 combined (.179) against Johnson, with 25 strikeouts and two walks. ...

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3183880

hmmmmm....

psst...we hate the Cubs, right?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:12 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:psst...we hate the Cubs, right?

I believe so. Let me check my "Cardinal Fan" handbook...

hmm... :-?

Yes. Yes, you are right. We do hate the Cubs.

Nice article. Carry on.

;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

PreviousNext

Return to St. Louis Cardinals