Fish Feel Pain - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Fish Feel Pain

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fish Feel Pain

Postby BigMusky » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:20 pm

NOT!!!! I heard Peta is trying to get people to stop fishing because they claim fish feel pain. I go fishing ALOT and I can attest to the fact that fish are too stupid to feel pain. I have caught the same fish before on the same lure multiple times, it can not be hurting him that bad. I have read reports on the make up if the fishes brain there response to things and there is no way they feel pain. I am suprised these people are coming out with this now because this is usually when the bitch about the millions of Turkeys we eat. On Howard Stern last night they had some Vegans that he got to strip and make out by threatening to kill a Hampster if they didnt. It was hilarious until the one started freaking out. She showed her hoots though for the rodent.

http://fishinghurts.com/feat/linda/
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Fish Feel Pain

Postby acsguitar » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:24 pm

BigMusky wrote:NOT!!!! I heard Peta is trying to get people to stop fishing because they claim fish feel pain. I go fishing ALOT and I can attest to the fact that fish are too stupid to feel pain. I have caught the same fish before on the same lure multiple times, it can not be hurting him that bad. I have read reports on the make up if the fishes brain there response to things and there is no way they feel pain. I am suprised these people are coming out with this now because this is usually when the bitch about the millions of Turkeys we eat. On Howard Stern last night they had some Vegans that he got to strip and make out by threatening to kill a Hampster if they didnt. It was hilarious until the one started freaking out. She showed her hoots thought for the rodent.

http://fishinghurts.com/feat/linda/

I gave a presentation on this in my Environmental Ethics class...actually we don't know if they do or if they don't...Its hard to say...If I remeber correctly it seems that fish do react to pain but then again are they conscious of this pain...Its hard to say...I like fly fishing and would say that it doesn't cause pain when they are hooked in the lip...howveer, in the jaw or eye may cause pain...but anyways Peta is good on some things but bad on the others.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BigMusky » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:32 pm

even a worm reacts to pain. That is not what the debate is about, I should have clarified that more. The debate is whether there is a conscious feeling of pain rather.

It is one thing to jerk your hand back from a hot stove, completely another to say "&%*&%* that hurt"
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:34 pm

PETA is crazy and overzealous but I think fish feel pain. Is it wrong to fish? Not in my book. But if you fish, you eat what you catch. Just my opinion.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby BigMusky » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:38 pm

about 90% of fisherman are complete idiots. They gut hook fish, they rip swallowed lures out of fish, they dont know how to handle a fish and hurt it really badly. It is really bad to fight a fish for a long time too because lactic acid can build up and they can not get rid of it like humans and it will poison them. Lactic acid is what causes leg cramps from anaebolic processes in the muscle.

I guess the point is...you might as well keep fish if you are going to do stuff like that. Littering happens when you are fishing, something like a bass rips your plastic lure off, but intentionally leaving crap around pisses me off too. So Peta has a good message on those issues, but they are going about it the wrong way.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby BigMusky » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:42 pm

a fishes mouth is almost all cartilage anyway...so it is like piercing an ear at worst if we assume they feel pain the same we do. Think about it this way though, you know how spiky a bluegill can be? What happens when a bass or catfish crabs one? They are used to that kind of treatment.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby acsguitar » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:51 pm

I really don't have much sympathy for fish or birds
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Arlo » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:51 pm

BigMusky wrote:It is really bad to fight a fish for a long time too because lactic acid can build up and they can not get rid of it like humans and it will poison them. Lactic acid is what causes leg cramps from anaebolic processes in the muscle.

Well, then the fish should be fine. :-D

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:00 pm

Stop fishing? 8-o

Forget that. I love seafood. :-) Yummy!
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:55 pm

Did you know the japenese are rapers of the sea....its true..
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk