Interesting twist in the Sosa saga...... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Interesting twist in the Sosa saga......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:23 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:Why would the union allow this? I mean, I'm happy with the way the Arod trade ended up, but isn't this a little fishy?

It's in the first few posts of the thread. Sosa won't get the $18 million from the Cubs in '06, so he's really not losing anything by voiding that part of his contract in order to be traded.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:56 pm

Madison wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:Why would the union allow this? I mean, I'm happy with the way the Arod trade ended up, but isn't this a little fishy?

It's in the first few posts of the thread. Sosa won't get the $18 million from the Cubs in '06, so he's really not losing anything by voiding that part of his contract in order to be traded.

Yea that's exactly it. Arod was trying to waive guaranteed money while Sosa is waiving money he will never see.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Viper8437 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:01 pm

Amazinz wrote:I don't want Sosa on the Mets either but Sosa/Farnsworth/$ for Floyd is not all that bad of a deal for the Mets.

The key is to not let Slammin' Sammy cork his own bats. This is NY after all so they need to get him a top of the line bat corker... :-o

I dotn want Sosa either but i would want sosa over floyd
floyd is a much bigger injury
i mean as long as sosa doesnt sneeze
reyes is my homeboy
Viper8437
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Joe LaCock » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:05 pm

Keep in mind that Sosa is not waiving his 4.5 mil buyout or the severance pay (I was not aware of this before reading the Rotoworld article) for next year by waiving the guaranteed 2006 year. He knows the Cubs will not pick up the option for 2006 so 4.5 and the 3.5 is all he will get from them. Waiving the guarentee on his 2006 contract allows him to get traded since he wants out of Chicago too. He will get that buyout regardless if he gets traded or not. By not waiving the guarentee of 2006 he will basically force the Cubs to keep him next year which he does not want. This is the only reason why the MLBPA will allow the trade. Sosa won't be losing anything. By the way, nobody wants this Jerk. I have had to listen to Sammy Crap for 10+ years. Good luck if you get him. I look forward to watching him crumble in NY. Joe
Joe LaCock
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers