Interesting twist in the Sosa saga...... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Interesting twist in the Sosa saga......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Interesting twist in the Sosa saga......

Postby Madison » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:45 am

From Rotoworld:

Sammy Sosa - OF - Cubs

The MLBPA reportedly won't stand in the way if Sammy Sosa decides to void the clause in his contract that guarantees his 2006 salary if he's traded.

The Players' Association doesn't want its members giving up guaranteed money, but since this is money Sosa is probably never going to see, it could be flexible. Sosa is far more likely to be traded if his $18 million option for 2006 isn't an issue. He'd still be owned $25 million ($17 million base salary, $4.5 million buyout and $3.5 million in severance pay), but that's much better than $39.5 million. Nov. 13 - 1:42 pm et
Source: Newark Star-Ledger

Sosa might wave the guaranteed $18 million option 8-o ? That would certainly pave the way for him to be traded.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Interesting twist in the Sosa saga......

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:47 am

Madison wrote:From Rotoworld:

Sammy Sosa - OF - Cubs

The MLBPA reportedly won't stand in the way if Sammy Sosa decides to void the clause in his contract that guarantees his 2006 salary if he's traded.

The Players' Association doesn't want its members giving up guaranteed money, but since this is money Sosa is probably never going to see, it could be flexible. Sosa is far more likely to be traded if his $18 million option for 2006 isn't an issue. He'd still be owned $25 million ($17 million base salary, $4.5 million buyout and $3.5 million in severance pay), but that's much better than $39.5 million. Nov. 13 - 1:42 pm et
Source: Newark Star-Ledger

Sosa might wave the guaranteed $18 million option 8-o ? That would certainly pave the way for him to be traded.

Interesting, but the message that sends me is that he's not going anywhere. There's no way the MLBPA would allow this if there was even a chance he is on the move IMO. Plus, why would Sosa give up a guaranteed $18 million since there is no way a team pays him that up front -- maybe with incentives (he probably won't reach anyway) -- but not guaranteed like the contract is now. :-t
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:07 am

He is not guaranteed it unless he is dealt. There is a TEAM option for 2006 with a 4.5 M buyout. It only becomes guarantreed if he is dealt. He will likely not be dealt as long as that provisio exists. So anything above the 4.5 M for 2006 is money Sosa is never going to see under his current contract. He would not be giving back much beyond what amounts to a trade decentive on the Cubs.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:16 am

TheYanks04 wrote:He is not guaranteed it unless he is dealt. There is a TEAM option for 2006 with a 4.5 M buyout. It only becomes guarantreed if he is dealt. He will likely not be dealt as long as that provisio exists. So anything above the 4.5 M for 2006 is money Sosa is never going to see under his current contract. He would not be giving back much beyond what amounts to a trade decentive on the Cubs.

Right, that's what I was trying to say in a round-about way I guess. :-D If he's not going to be dealt anyway, the MLBPA can come out and look like the good guys by saying "....oh sure, we won't stand in the way of him being traded and losing money if he indeed is traded....".
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Mustangs989 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:24 am

I actually think this does open up the door for him to be traded. Sammy knows that they aren't going to pick up his option if he is kept by the Cubs. Sammy obviously wants out and he knows that if his new team doesn't have to pick up his option next year that there is a much greater chance of him being traded. Now why the MLBPA would allow this to happen I have no idea, but I have no problem with it ;-)
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:29 am

Why would the union allow this? I mean, I'm happy with the way the Arod trade ended up, but isn't this a little fishy?
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Re: Interesting twist in the Sosa saga......

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:30 pm

Madison wrote:

i imagine the cubs would eat that up and trade him in a heartbeat if he does that.......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bjm97 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:50 pm

I hope MLBPA doesn't allow him to void that clause on his contract. Looking at the history of my favorite team it would make sense that the Mets trade for yet another declining slugger. Maybe the Mets can pay him the money that they were giving to big Mo. Just a rant
Last edited by bjm97 on Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bjm97
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:53 pm

I don't want Sosa on the Mets either but Sosa/Farnsworth/$ for Floyd is not all that bad of a deal for the Mets.

The key is to not let Slammin' Sammy cork his own bats. This is NY after all so they need to get him a top of the line bat corker... :-o
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bjm97 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:59 pm

LOL Amazing love the cork bat comment. I am not a huge Floyd fan either but don't like to see a 130K+ guy in the lineup. I would much rather not have a big bat in favor of a guy who can hit 320 and has decent doubles power. It is frusterating to see Kaz lead our team with a 272 BA.
bjm97
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers