Piazza to the Angels??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Piazza to the Angels???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Piazza to the Angels???

Postby rlee » Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:43 pm

Ken Rosenthal of the Sporting News is reporting that the Angels are interested in acquiring Piazza from the Mets. He said that if successful, he would become their primary DH (Tim Salmon is out for the year, I think) while catching and playing first part-time.

This may well make sense. In reading the NY papers it seems that Omar Minaya is set to shake up the team. I get the feeling that if they can get the money right, he will swap Cliff Floyd for Sosa. If that happens it would not surprise me at all that Piazza might not be far behind. Minaya apparently like Jose Guillen ... although I'm not sure who on the Mets will keep him in line (Glavine or Stanton, maybe). So maybe there's is some fire to this smoke :-°
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:11 pm

Omar and Willie met with Piazza just like the front office did last year to find out what he wanted to do since he's a 10/5. After the meetings this year there have been non-stop rumors about Piazza being traded which leads me to believe he wants out. I have no idea where he's going but my hunch is he will be gone.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Piazza to the Angels???

Postby The Jury » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:40 am

rlee wrote:Ken Rosenthal of the Sporting News is reporting that the Angels are interested in acquiring Piazza from the Mets. He said that if successful, he would become their primary DH (Tim Salmon is out for the year, I think) while catching and playing first part-time.

This may well make sense. In reading the NY papers it seems that Omar Minaya is set to shake up the team. I get the feeling that if they can get the money right, he will swap Cliff Floyd for Sosa. If that happens it would not surprise me at all that Piazza might not be far behind. Minaya apparently like Jose Guillen ... although I'm not sure who on the Mets will keep him in line (Glavine or Stanton, maybe). So maybe there's is some fire to this smoke :-°

Just wondering, who on the Angels has kept Jose in line for most of his stay there?
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:30 am

Well we know with the stunt Guillen pulled toward the end of last year that the Angels will be moving him. Where to, will be an interesting thing to see.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ensanimal » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:56 am

from rotoworld

Mike Piazza - 1B - NYM

The Angels are trying to acquire Mike Piazza to act as a DH and backup catcher, The Sporting News' Ken Rosenthal reports.
Piazza for Jarrod Washburn, Jose Guillen and maybe a little cash? Piazza doesn't want to be a DH, but Anaheim might be an attractive enough situation to get him to waive his no-trade clause. Nov. 15 - 12:20 am et
Source: FOXSports.com
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:19 am

Washburn, Guillen and cash? 8-o Anyone else think that's way too much?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby giants8307 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:30 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:Washburn, Guillen and cash? 8-o Anyone else think that's way too much?

Well, Washburn is next to worthless, so not really. Guillen is a very good player, but a good hitting catcher is hard to come by. I think the angels would be pumped if they could get rid of wash, though.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:49 am

giants8307 wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:Washburn, Guillen and cash? 8-o Anyone else think that's way too much?

Well, Washburn is next to worthless, so not really. Guillen is a very good player, but a good hitting catcher is hard to come by. I think the angels would be pumped if they could get rid of wash, though.
I agree Washburn isn't very valuable. I like Guillen but the Angels kinda painted themselves in a corner with him. So the deal seems pretty fair to me.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby jonnyblack » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:08 am

Obviously the Angels have to deal Guillen, but they are not just going to give him away. Reguardless of what Piazza thinks he should do, a move to the American League will extend his career. I think the Angels will have to promise him a certain number of games behind the plate to get the deal done.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby stumpak » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:35 am

For those of us who saw a healthy Molina as a good steal for 2005 this is not good news. By hook or crook, I would bet that Piazza nets 50 starts behind the plate as a hypothetical Angel, even if he agrees that DH is his primary role.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers