Your top SP's for next season - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Your top SP's for next season

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NY Yankees Fan 2004 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:43 pm

So far my list which will be edited:

1. Johan Santana
2. Randy Johnson
3. Jason Schmidt
4. Mark Prior
5. Curt Schilling
6. Roy Oswalt
7. Carlos Zambrano
8. Ben Sheets
9. Pedro Martinez
10. Tim Hudson
11. Jake Peavy
12. Oliver Perez

Ill have to work on it more. Ill probably put Halladay at #13 or I may move him up a couple of spots. The only thing that I dont like about him is the fact that he is pitching in the AL east. I like Johan for #1 and RJ should have another great year. I think Schmidt should get back on track and make a run for the Cy-Young. His slumps started after a pulled groin. Even though Prior didnt pitch much this year, I like his potential and I think that if he can stay healthy than he can be dominant. Im not sure about Zambrano at #7, may need to change that, but he will be in my top 10. Sheets my only question, was this past year a fluke? I am really high on Peavy this year.

Ill also be making a list of Pitchers that I will avoid at all costs:
So far that is Bartolo Colon. Im not touching that bum. He killed me this past season. The guy had an ERA over 5 and on any given night he has the potenital to blow up.
[color=blue][size=24]2005 Fantasy Baseball Champion[/size][/color]
NY Yankees Fan 2004
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NY Yankees Fan 2004 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:09 pm

ensanimal wrote:my question would be, where do you start to draft these guys. would you jump on any in the mid 2nd round, or wait to see which would be available mid 3rd? how long do you wait to get your ace? :-?

Last Year I thought Kery Wood would be my ace and wasted a 2nd round pick on the bum. Ill probably let someone else get him this year. I dont know when I draft my ace. Last Year it ended up being in Round 9 when I got Johan Santana who was my ace.
[color=blue][size=24]2005 Fantasy Baseball Champion[/size][/color]
NY Yankees Fan 2004
General Manager
General Manager

Postby grammysboy » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:44 pm

It is imperative to get a big name pitcher in the draft as well as a closer and possibly two of either one or both. One of the interesting things I starting to see in our league is that most teams are primarily made up pitchers who have been traded for or picked up from the FA pile. We assume this is because of the unpredictability of wins.

Knowing this, I'm going to anchor my staff with at least one of the "stars" that have been mentioned in this thread and then spend the bulk of my money on position players. I'll finish off the staff with young pitchers who will be cheap and hope I've picked up the next Cliff Lee or Oliver Perez or Dontrell Willis. Dontrell was kept from the previous year, but Ollie and Cliff both sold for less than $5 in our auction. I'll also be in a good position to cut loose pitchers who are underperforming and won't have to worry about the auction money I spent on them. I made a study of our league about August 1 last season and with the exception of the pitchers who were pitching well that season, well over half the pitchers in the league had been picked up after the start of the year.

Interesting note: Santana was kept in our league to start the season, but had such a poor first month or so, his owner just cut him loose. He was picked up for the FA price of $10. Our keeper rules are a little different, a player can be kept for one year and the following year he automatically becomes available for draft. Meaning Santana will be in our draft next spring - to the chagrin of the guy who picked him up on the waiver wire.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

DONT FORGET THIS GUY....

Postby rotodog » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:44 pm

I havent seen this name much except in passing, ole' Kel Escobar........mark my words. He wont be Johan, but will surpass many of the names on a lot of the lists. Last year I made one bold statemant about a player back in the early winter, and his name was Hafner.I think this one ends up in siilar fashion when we look back at the end of 05....rotodog ;-D
rotodog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Re: DONT FORGET THIS GUY....

Postby Erboes » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:07 pm

rotodog wrote:I havent seen this name much except in passing, ole' Kel Escobar........mark my words. He wont be Johan, but will surpass many of the names on a lot of the lists. Last year I made one bold statemant about a player back in the early winter, and his name was Hafner.I think this one ends up in siilar fashion when we look back at the end of 05....rotodog ;-D

Escobar is an excellent under priced pitcher for next season, as is Colon. A deeper sleeper I like is Danny Haren of St. Louis.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wkelly91 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:02 am

Transmogrifier wrote:
ensanimal wrote:my question would be, where do you start to draft these guys. would you jump on any in the mid 2nd round, or wait to see which would be available mid 3rd? how long do you wait to get your ace? :-?

I, for the first time, drafted a pitcher in the second round last year, and I won't do it again. Too much risk.

I took Vasquez in the 2nd, and Mussina in the 3rd last year. I won't make that mistake again. :~(
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

santana

Postby killercars » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:33 pm

i've been watching santana as well over the past few years...

i see something close to what i saw out of pedro from a few years ago...

dominance...

he's done it over three seasons and now has proven he can go a full season...

def. the best pitcher in baseball...

my sleeper this year is a.j. burnett... i know he's been injury prone, but tommy john is being done so often now WITH SUCCESS... and i think it was 2 or 3 years ago when he tied rj in either shutouts or complete games...

he's an absolute stud... i'll take my chance on him...
killercars
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chefref22 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:03 pm

chefref22 wrote:i'm very surprised to see that no one has mentioned clemens in this thread yet.last i checked,he's not retired and is coming back for another year in houston.i have him ranked as the #10 SP right now for next year.

no one has anything to say about this?
chefref22
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:08 pm

chefref22 wrote:
chefref22 wrote:i'm very surprised to see that no one has mentioned clemens in this thread yet.last i checked,he's not retired and is coming back for another year in houston.i have him ranked as the #10 SP right now for next year.

For me, it's just a little early to call. He would be up there but I'm not sure about in the top 10.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:53 pm

chefref22 wrote:

He is around the top 10 if he comes back but I'm not convinced he is coming back yet.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers