Vizquel - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vizquel

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:45 am

To me this is all going to come down to whether they still have money to improve the bullpen. SF isn't known for being big spenders and after the Vizquel signing I wonder how much more they have the spend. The Vizquel contract alone isn't a horrible deal nor is it a good deal but SF should be concentrating on improving the bullpen.

2004 MLB Rank for SF bullpen
Blown saves: tied for 3rd most
Save %: 20th
ERA: 24th
WHIP: 27th
K/BB: 26th
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:28 am

Career OBP, OPS, etc is not a good yardstick when you are talking about a 38 year old that was just signed to a 3 year contract.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eftda » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:43 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:To me this is all going to come down to whether they still have money to improve the bullpen. SF isn't known for being big spenders and after the Vizquel signing I wonder how much more they have the spend. The Vizquel contract alone isn't a horrible deal nor is it a good deal but SF should be concentrating on improving the bullpen.

2004 MLB Rank for SF bullpen
Blown saves: tied for 3rd most
Save %: 20th
ERA: 24th
WHIP: 27th
K/BB: 26th

With Mesa gone and percival almost a lock with the Tigers, The Giants will be in deep 'fodo' if they cant sang someone quick. :-o
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:25 pm

Percy is going to the Tigers? Didn't they exercise their option on Urbina?

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:38 pm

LBJackal wrote:Percy is going to the Tigers? Didn't they exercise their option on Urbina?
They did and they are looking into signing Percival too.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Erboes » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:38 pm

wrveres wrote:
LBJackal wrote:BTW since I'm getting busted for edits..... Mr Veres originally said:

"lbj is starting to sound like one of those guys thats knows just enough to be scary, but can't quite put it all together yet, know what I mean. Who introduced him to 'saber' anyways?
This is Hooties fault I bet.

The difference being, at least Hootie can admit when he is wrong .."

You bastard }:-) ... :-D

;-) ... what are you talking about ... :-?

Are you denying authorship of this fine quote, Wrveres? Too bad, because truer words have never been written. I think what you are looking for is, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

Is Hootie still quoting the Forecaster as it is the Gospel? Good-holy-moley, a fine mind gone to waste.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:13 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
LBJackal wrote:Percy is going to the Tigers? Didn't they exercise their option on Urbina?

I guess they're looking to have a hold on the potential closers market when they fall out of the race before the trade deadline. That's actually not a bad move at all. Pretty smart Detroit, I'm impressed.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby giants8307 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:47 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

I guess they're looking to have a hold on the potential closers market when they fall out of the race before the trade deadline. That's actually not a bad move at all. Pretty smart Detroit, I'm impressed.

I agree. They pay perci/urbina for half a year, then get good prospects @ the deadline. On the off chance they are actually in the race, they have a solid bullpen. that's good business if you ask me.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LBJackal » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:06 pm

I guess if they get some good prospects, it could turn out well... but the marginal gain of adding a second closer isn't nearly as high as the marginal gain of adding another player they need (such as a SP). This of course is based on them keeping the players they sign... it'll be interesting to see what prospects they get, and how much it will cost them. When teams pull unorthodox moves like this, there is usually a reason that they are unorthodox. Maybe they're innovators like Beane, who knows. They could be starting a trend of signing 2 closers and trading one or both at the deadline.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:00 am

SF Chronicle article
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... SEBALL.TMP

It is mostly about Vizquel but I found this interesting
Sabean is content with his rotation, but his bullpen needs revamping, especially if closer Dustin Hermanson isn't re-signed. Assistant GM Ned Colletti was preparing to submit a multiyear offer to Hermanson's agent late Tuesday as a cheaper option to free-agent closers Troy Percival or Armando Benitez. With the free-agent pool lacking left-handed relievers, Sabean also is open to re-signing Jason Christiansen
Multi-year deal? He did good job last year as a closer but wouldn't you want a more than 2 months on the job and 30 innings as a closer before you offered him a multi-year deal?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers