100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vizquel

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Vizquel

Postby ensanimal » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:50 pm

from rotoworld

Omar Vizquel - SS - CLE

Omar Vizquel is now reportedly close to signing a three-year, $12 million contract with the Giants.
Unless the White Sox come back with a four-year offer anyway. This is just a bad idea. Vizquel has been a solid player in only two of the last four years and he's turning 38 in April. He could completely lose it at any time. Nov. 14 - 12:33 pm et
Source: Contra Costa Times

why would the giants do this? :-? use that money to throw at a bat to protect barry, not this.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:53 pm

I don't see why spending $4 / year for a solid veteran defensive SS is such a bad idea. It's not the best idea in the world...but not as bad as Rotoworld makes it sound.

I think if it were a 2 year, $8 million deal...it would be a lot better. During the third year, Vizquel will be 40...not exactly the prime age for infielders.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby TownDrunk » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:01 pm

I like the deal. His contract isn't a budget buster, the Giants would still have money to go after a CF and closer. They could put Vizquel in the leadoff spot and bump Durham down to a run producing role. He greatly improves the Giants' defense. I'm not wild on giving him 3 years, but if that's what it takes :-?

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby Mustangs989 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:32 pm

It seems like an OK move to me. I would think the money would be better spent elsewhere but Vizquel isn't too bad of a player.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby eftda » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:46 pm

The Giants suffered from not having an everyday SS. THis move will make every fielding position set, except RF
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Surfs up » Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:07 pm

Devi Cruz had a very good year at shortstop and hit well for the Giants. Granted he may not be the stop gap that Vizquel is at short but he holds his own and comes at a much cheaper price. He is also several years younger. Maybe one more year of Cruz to get some pieces in place . Just my thoughts
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 198)

Postby TownDrunk » Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:29 pm

It's a done deal. 3 years/$12.5 million with the bulk of the money coming up front. 1st year, $5 million. 2nd year, $5 million, 3rd year, $2.5 million.

I like it, gives the Giants a huge upgrade defensively, just what they needed. Expect to see the Giants also go out and get one of Finley/Dye/or Alou as well as one of either Percival/Benitez.

Also expect the Giants to deal two players out of Alfonzo/Durham/AJ.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:43 pm

TownDrunk wrote:I like the deal. His contract isn't a budget buster, the Giants would still have money to go after a CF and closer. They could put Vizquel in the leadoff spot and bump Durham down to a run producing role. He greatly improves the Giants' defense. I'm not wild on giving him 3 years, but if that's what it takes :-?

Same here. I would rather give him a 2 year deal at $8 million like slomo said, but if it takes 3, that's not a terribly bad deal IMO.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby mtarail » Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:36 pm

TownDrunk wrote:It's a done deal. 3 years/$12.5 million with the bulk of the money coming up front. 1st year, $5 million. 2nd year, $5 million, 3rd year, $2.5 million.

I like it, gives the Giants a huge upgrade defensively, just what they needed. Expect to see the Giants also go out and get one of Finley/Dye/or Alou as well as one of either Percival/Benitez.

As a Giants fan, I like this deal. I'd much rather throw a little $ at an older guy with some heart that at some headcase closer--cough, Benitez.

I'm still wondering how we're gonna trade Fonzie. If I were a GM I wouldn't give a bag of Cheetos for him.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:54 pm

mtarail wrote:
TownDrunk wrote:It's a done deal. 3 years/$12.5 million with the bulk of the money coming up front. 1st year, $5 million. 2nd year, $5 million, 3rd year, $2.5 million.

As a Giants fan, I like this deal. I'd much rather throw a little $ at an older guy with some heart that at some headcase closer--cough, Benitez.

I'm still wondering how we're gonna trade Fonzie. If I were a GM I wouldn't give a bag of Cheetos for him.

yeah. alfonzo never really played what was expected of him in SF. did he actually play? :-D

getting vizquel isn't that bad. he'll play good D and has a decent bat. yeah, he's old, but it's okay, better having him and knowing what he he'll do, than having uncertainty.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers