Guess Webb's W's. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Guess Webb's W's.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:05 am

TheYanks04 wrote:He will be lucky to get 10 with that team. 4.0+ ERA...walks too many and his ERA in 2004 was very fortunate.

i would go more in this direction...i don't really like webb, dunno why, but never trusted him, not even during his rookie season....
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 211)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dannahann » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:48 pm

This is a REAL tough one. It really depends upon how his team looks on opening day. Sure, run support matters (ie will Sexson be back? can we add a bat?) but IMO that's not the biggest factor in determining Webb's effectiveness. Webb relies very heavily on his infield and AZ used a bunch of "baby backs" who defensively (and for the most part offensively) should've still been learning in AAA or even AA. Will these kids make progress? Will we add a decent major league infielder or two? To me, those are the biggies in answering the question.
I haven't looked at the numbers, but Webb himself threw pretty well from about July on. I'd guess most of the damage to his BB/9 ratio was done early on when he pressed too hard for strikeouts (putrid defense had him rattled IMO) His bullpen should be adequate enough to preserve most of his leads, as well.
But HOW MANY WINS??? Good question at this point. :-o
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 65)

Postby Nerfherders » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:00 pm

The unluckiest pitcher in 2004...

It seemed to me based on his stats and game logs that he basically had to make every out or he lost, so the walks go up when you absolutely have to make perfect pitches to win ballgames.

That's my take... if the guy had any offense or defense behind him he wins 15 easy. But my projection next year is 11.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby dannahann » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:30 pm

Nerfherders wrote:It seemed to me based on his stats and game logs that he basically had to make every out or he lost, so the walks go up when you absolutely have to make perfect pitches to win ballgames.

That's my take... if the guy had any offense or defense behind him he wins 15 easy. But my projection next year is 11.

Spot on Nerf. The same could be said for Randy Johnson and Casey Fossum. I know Fossum is derided here as "worthless compensation" for Schilling, but I see him as blossuming into a very effective #2 type starter. He has very good stuff nice command and often pitched VERY well into the 6th or 7th only to have no run support. Sadly I watched a lot of DBacks game last season and it seemed we'd score 3+ approx once a week :~( Top that off with a team so pathetic in the field. Regardless how many errors were awarded, it seemed our pitchers had to get 4 or 5 "extra" outs per game. Our pitchers suffered the most from these team inadaquacies and (sans Dessens) aren't as bad as their numbers appear.
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 65)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:00 pm

I'm a believer in Webb...I've heard that he has one of the best sinkers ever....bad team doesn't encourage much...

1-6 with the D-Back
10-4 with the yankees
11-10
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby beltrans_boy » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:47 pm

Nerfherders wrote:The unluckiest pitcher in 2004...

It seemed to me based on his stats and game logs that he basically had to make every out or he lost, so the walks go up when you absolutely have to make perfect pitches to win ballgames.

:-o Try telling that to Odalis Perez...
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Nerfherders » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:29 pm

Yeah I had both those dudes on my fantasy team before trading Perez for Brad Penny... about 3 starts before his bicep injury.

But to balance things, I also had Bartolo Colon for the whole season.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby NY Yankees Fan 2004 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:30 pm

Ill say he gets 11 wins with a 3.75 ERA
[color=blue][size=24]2005 Fantasy Baseball Champion[/size][/color]
NY Yankees Fan 2004
General Manager
General Manager