Static IP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Static IP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:13 am

Arlo wrote:You're on a dynamic IP, Saints. :-)

Thanks for clearing it up Arlo.

And Mookie, I did a little more research and found out that I was wrong about something: you don't have to have a static IP to host your own server, but it does make it easier to have one. I don't know much about the details as to why it's easier, but that's as far as I know. I really don't see much of a reason at all for you to get one...particularly if you don't even plan to have a server as you said.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:20 am

Thanks guys, but I'm still unclear about these ISP telling me that a static IP is more secure. Seems to me as though it is less secure :-?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby slomo007 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:27 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Thanks guys, but I'm still unclear about these ISP telling me that a static IP is more secure. Seems to me as though it is less secure :-?

Your logic makes sense to me as well...so I went to SBC's website and found this:
Some Internet applications, however, require a different type of Internet connection for those applications that require 24x7 availability (like a web server or email server). So a benefit of having a static IP address is that it enables this type of 24x7 connection for those applications that require it. With a static IP, the way you disconnect your SBC Yahoo! DSL connection is either by turning off your computer, or unplugging your modem or router.

Of course, with this type of always-on connection, many customers will require a higher level of protection for their SBC Yahoo! DSL connection. This can usually be addressed by simply installing a router instead of a modem. This specific topic is addressed later in this material.

The benefits of running SBC Yahoo! DSL with a router include:

* Being able to connect multiple computers to the DSL line; this enables customers to have multiple, simultaneous connections to the Internet. For example, a small office could connect three or four of their computers to the router, thereby providing each computer with access to the Internet over the same DSL line.
* Improving the security of the SBC Yahoo! DSL connection, since the router runs on a protocol called "Network Address Translation" (NAT). NAT enables each of the connected computers to have their own "private" IP address, which is different from the "public" static IP address that is assigned to the router. By assigning private IP addresses to each computer connected to the router, hackers are not able to see these IP addresses or gain access to any data on these computers. This protects these computers by essentially making them "invisible" to everyone on the Internet.

Basically, I think what it is saying is that the connection is more secure with static IPs because there is typically a router protecting you from hackers (as opposed to a modem, which is basically no protection). It does this, as it says, by hiding the IP address of your computers/servers, and only shows the public address of the router.

Seems like it would be something for a large scale company to worry about.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:33 am

Also, it would seem to me that using a router behind a dynamic address would be the absolute safest method. This way it hides your computer's IP, while even changing the public IP periodically.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:46 am

Thanks Slomo. So, I've got a dynamic IP, a router and a firewall. I can sleep well tonight. ;-D
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby slomo007 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:47 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Thanks Slomo. So, I've got a dynamic IP, a router and a firewall. I can sleep well tonight. ;-D

Haha, yeah I wouldn't worry about it then. You're in good shape. ;-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:33 am

OK, coming from Arlo that's good enough reason for me. :-b
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Arlo » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:39 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:

Well, it's either that or you're sneaking peaks at the Cafe from dozens of diferent static IPs... :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:48 pm

Arlo wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:

Well, it's either that or you're sneaking peaks at the Cafe from dozens of diferent static IPs... :-D

He's not that smart. :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Previous

Return to General Talk