How do I rebuild? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

How do I rebuild?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How do I rebuild?

Postby Walden warriors » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:14 am

HELP ME REBUILD THIS MESS! I won back-to-back titles in 2002 and 2003, and put in all on the line for a three-peat in 2004. Now, my roster looks like this...

ROSTER
Juan Cruz, Westbrook, Wright, Pettitte, Radke, Kazmir, Zambrano, Lieber, Wells, Wolf
Gagne, Ayala, Linebrink
Durazo, Kent, Huff, K. Greene, Drew, Byrnes, Jeremy Reed, Beltran, Giambi, Upton, Vidro

We have a 10 team keeper league, but two of those teams are new expansion teams this year. 13 players are allowed to be protected each offseason, however, none of the 13 can be a member of 5 randomly selected teams before the season (this year it's Cincy, Mets, Angels, Marlins, Cardinals).

My team was a lot better, but after I was eliminated in the playoffs, I made some moves to better position myself for rebuilding (dropping the mandatory cut Pujols for Durazo, etc.).

We have a head-to-head league. Categories are R, RBI, BBs, SOs, Es, BA, SLG, TBs, SBs, W, L, HLD, SV, ERA, WHIP, BBs, Ks, and IP.

Like I said, I mortgaged a lot of my future, in our 9-round draft I have picks in rounds 6, 7, 8, and two in round 9, so making a splash in the draft really isn't an option.

First step is to whittle my roster down to 13, so, my first question is what cuts would you make?

After that, what would you do? I have an offer on the table for Zach Greinke for Jeff Kent, straight up, which I'm open to, as Kent will probably be too old by the time I'm good again. Any help is appreciated.
Does your league need a quality, outside review of your league rulebook? Does your league not have a written rulebook? Contact me! I can help.
Walden warriors
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How do I rebuild?

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:23 pm

I think I understand what you're having to do. :-? Of those I'd probably keep:

Westbrook -- I'm really like him for the future
Pettite -- I think he'll be back to the Pettitte of old next yer
Kazmir -- No brainer in a keeper IMO
Zambrano -- No brainer
Gage -- No brainer
Wolf -- I think he'll have another good year in '05
Durazo -- Either him or Reed, I couldn't decide
Huff -- I think he'll rebound and have a solid '05 campaign
Greene -- Good up and coming SS
Drew -- :-° That about sums it up, which one will show up?
Vidro -- I'm really high on him for some reason
Beltran -- Biggest no-brainer
Upton -- Another up and coming SS, no-brainer in a keeper

I don't like cutting Kent, but with his future so much up in the air, I'd keep someone a little more sure and with more upside. Also what if FA's end up on the "no-keep teams"? Like if Beltran ends up in Anaheim, do you have to drop him too? :-o 8-o
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Walden warriors » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:06 pm

One more thing I forgot to mention...Beltran has to be cut, as he is the player to be named later in a trade I made.

I was thinking I should definitely keep Durazo and not Reed, but you like Reed? I appreciate the input.

Also, you like Upton? Over Cruz, Radke, or Lieber? I can't trade anyone I cut, and getting trade-away guys is also a priority. I thought I should only keep one of Upton or Greene, and in that case I'd take Greene.

I hadn't thought of trying to capitalize on Drew's value. Definitely a valuable insight. Thank you.

Any other help is appreciated.
Does your league need a quality, outside review of your league rulebook? Does your league not have a written rulebook? Contact me! I can help.
Walden warriors
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:51 pm

I guess it would be stupid to keep both Upton and Greene, but I think Upton could have more upside personally. I've heard good things about Reed and I think he would be a nice choice since you're rebuilding. If you look at Durazo's stats, and think that a 1B putting up 85/20/75/.275 is good enough sure, but I would think you would want better production if you had to deal with such a low average, but that's just me. I don't like Lieber in a keeper where you're having to rebuild. I'd say cut him loose and try to get some young cheap talent since you're losing so much with the cuts of Pujols and Beltran. :-o
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Walden warriors » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:54 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I guess it would be stupid to keep both Upton and Greene, but I think Upton could have more upside personally. I've heard good things about Reed and I think he would be a nice choice since you're rebuilding. If you look at Durazo's stats, and think that a 1B putting up 85/20/75/.275 is good enough sure, but I would think you would want better production if you had to deal with such a low average, but that's just me. I don't like Lieber in a keeper where you're having to rebuild. I'd say cut him loose and try to get some young cheap talent since you're losing so much with the cuts of Pujols and Beltran. :-o

Durazo had the best year of his career last year, as his average jumped to .321. That may be a fluke, but I do think his previous years (.259 & .261) are lower than we should expect.

Had Greene not been a bad glove last year (22 errors or so) he was clearly superior to Upton.

The only reason I'd keep Lieber (or Radke, or Wells) is for the trade value they may bring. The question then becomes in which situation do I get more...a.) keeping the old pitcher and trading him, or b.) keeping a young guy instead? My gut says B, I suppose.
Walden warriors
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Wildcatodd » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:34 pm

I'd keep the following:

Radke-good numbers and might sign with a contender
Kazmir- gonna be awesome
Zambrano- but only if it's Carlos, I'd probably cut Victor
Huff-had an off year but could be a monster
Greene-solid rookie campaign
Drew-if he stays healthy he's worth it
Reed-gonna be a good one
Vidro-you need a second sacker and if he's healthy he's still good

If you're not going to be able to compete for the title next year, then I'd try to ship Pettitte, Kent or Gagne to someone who will contend and try to get players who can help you for 2006.

I also might consider keeping Leiber. I know he is older but he's a soft thrower and looked sharp at the end of last season. Now that he's fully recovered from his surgery, he may have two or three more good seasons in him. Upton has promise as a hitter but can't field a lick. He may be able to help you in 06 but not sure about next year. Good luck!
Wildcatodd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Walden warriors » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:09 pm

First of all, I really appreciate the help on trying to get my team down to 13.

My gut says to keep...Juan Cruz, Westbrook, Pettitte, Kazmir, C. Zambrano
Gagne, Linebrink
Durazo, Huff, K. Greene, Drew, Byrnes, Jeremy Reed,

Actively shopping:
Kent, Radke, Vidro, Wolf

Cutting/Getting what I can for:
Wells, Lieber, Giambi, Upton, Wright, Ayala

I've heard some ideas I hadn't thought of before, namely trading Gagne, and Drew (trying to capitalize on their current value).

I'd appreciate more thoughts on what to do where. One more thing...can someone with experience in rebuilding (or anyone I suppose) suggest a battle plan for getting to be good again? Remember, my draft this year is going to be pathetic. How do I rebuild from what I have?
Walden warriors
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:53 pm

Walden warriors wrote:Actively shopping:
Kent, Radke, Vidro, Wolf

Cutting/Getting what I can for:
Wells, Lieber, Giambi, Upton, Wright, Ayala

I like that approach. I'd say that unless you think you can rebuild to make a legitimate run next year, I'd make anyone on your team avaliable for the right offer -- namely guys who can help you in '06 and beyond. ;-D
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pedantic » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:46 pm

These are the players I'd keep:
Erubiel Durazo -- Durazo is a pretty good, fairly young hitter.

Jeff Kent -- Kent isn't young, but still has a great deal of value, IMO, posting good numbers at a shallow position. Greinke is nice, but I think I'd try to get some proven major league talent, also, for a player that valuable.

Aubrey Huff -- Huff is young and a very talented young hitter.

JD Drew -- Ditto with Drew, although with the injury baggage.

Jose Vidro -- Great hitter at a shallow position with a poor injury record.

Jeremy Reed -- He should post numbers right away in Seattle.

BJ Upton -- Not great with the glove, but a great bat at a shallow position. Fielding can be learned to a degree--it's much harder to learn hitting.

Eric Gagne -- Best closer in the game.

Khalil Greene -- Has great potential at shortstop.

Carlos Zambrano -- Not as high on him as some, but still a solid keeper pitcher.

Scott Kazmir -- Could be an ace in the future.

Eric Byrnes -- Fairly young and getting better.

Jaret Wright -- Has the stuff to be a great pitcher.

That would be my list. I would also see what I could get for Kent, Drew, Wright, Pettitte, Wolf, Lieber, Giambi, Westbrook, and Radke. But I would try to get some good, young major league talent for your top-notch players. Going for all prospects can be dangerous.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Walden warriors » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:42 pm

No one likes Juan Cruz?

Also, after the 13 are figured out, where do I go from there? Do I just wait the year out and kick butt in the draft? Where should I begin the rebuilding process?

Thanks!
Walden warriors
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team