Cashman...First it was Neagle...then Weaver...then Vaz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cashman...First it was Neagle...then Weaver...then Vaz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:45 am

Walden warriors wrote:What would you do with $189 million? I know what I'd do...

a.) assemble the greatest baseball team ever assembled
b.) bail out a third world country

Brian Cashman doesn't have clue one how to generall manage.

Maybe that's because he's not a general manager. He is only doing what George tells him. If he could truly general manage a team, who knows what he'd do. He might be great at it.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:58 pm

Pacman wrote:Hey Blankman, we may be worlds apart when it comes to our favorite baseball teams, but we are on EXACLY the SAME PAGE when it comes to Elisha Cuthbert.

She's as hot as it gets.

Not sure if you've ever seen this photo of her:

Of course I have ;-D :-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Pacman » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:39 pm

Then I assume you've seen this one too (ok, I'll stop at this point) B-)

Peace
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby blankman » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:08 pm

No doubt I have :-D

back to baseball, any word on potential takers for Kevin Brown? The Phillies?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Pacman » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:27 pm

Honest to God.. why in the world would there be a TEAM in MLB interested in Kevin Brown? Even if the Yankees paid HALF of the $15 million they owe him next season, why is he an attractive option when there are so many other pitchers available, FA's trades, etc... ? Other than a couple of good starts in late September, and a decent outing vs Minn. in ALDS, what has he show since Aug. 1 that would make him attractive at $7 or $8 million for '05?

Honestly, I think the Yanks are stuck with him.

I think they'd have a much easier time trading Vazquez.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby blankman » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:29 pm

Pacman wrote:Honest to God.. why in the world would there be a TEAM in MLB interested in Kevin Brown? Even if the Yankees paid HALF of the $15 million they owe him next season, why is he an attractive option when there are so many other pitchers available, FA's trades, etc... ? Other than a couple of good starts in late September, and a decent outing vs Minn. in ALDS, what has he show since Aug. 1 that would make him attractive at $7 or $8 million for '05?

Vaz is clearly easier to trade, but I wouldn't want to trade him anyway.

As for Brown, crazier things have happened; remember, Mike Hampton and his salary were traded, twice ;-)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby mikcou » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:37 pm

blankman wrote:
Pacman wrote:Honest to God.. why in the world would there be a TEAM in MLB interested in Kevin Brown? Even if the Yankees paid HALF of the $15 million they owe him next season, why is he an attractive option when there are so many other pitchers available, FA's trades, etc... ? Other than a couple of good starts in late September, and a decent outing vs Minn. in ALDS, what has he show since Aug. 1 that would make him attractive at $7 or $8 million for '05?

the only way that Brown is going to be able to be traded is if the Yanks eat about 10 million of his pay...
As for Brown, crazier things have happened; remember, Mike Hampton and his salary were traded, twice ;-)
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby blankman » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:41 pm

mikcou wrote:
blankman wrote:

the only way that Brown is going to be able to be traded is if the Yanks eat about 10 million of his pay...

You may want to fix that quote- you're putting words into my mouth ;-)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:19 pm

Bill Nye wrote:Would you rather that the Ynankees go into another postseason with an all-right-handed staff?

I know. I was so impressed with all of the lefties that Boston trotted out there on their way to the title. ;-7 I will take quality righties over token lefties any time. :-?

WharfRat wrote:Bring back Gene Michael, says I. He stood up to Steinbrenner. Cashman and his crew has become Steinbrenner's little monkey boys, I'm convinced. Instead of making smart baseball decisions, they just do what'll make Stein happy.

IMHO, that has nothing to do with it. Stick is a great baseball mind but where this successful run started is when George was suspended from baseball for the Winfield fiasco and the baseball people were able to do their jobs. That's where the Williams, O'Neills, Pettittes, etc. came from. They were allowed to do their jobs and develop players. Once George came back, he saw how successfull this was and he left it alone for the time being. Now, he is going back to the old George. :-t

WharfRat wrote:
blankman wrote:
WharfRat wrote:Bring back Gene Michael, says I. He stood up to Steinbrenner. Cashman and his crew has become Steinbrenner's little monkey boys, I'm convinced. Instead of making smart baseball decisions, they just do what'll make Stein happy.

Think about it. The man has his career and his family to think of; he knows that if he says the wrong thing, he's fired. It would be no different with anyone else. The problem is not Cashman, its George.

a) The Yankees built a dynasty with Stein because the baseball guys did their jobs and stood up to George when they had to (and Boggs helped too, of course). A lot of those guys are now gone or in lesser roles, or have simply let Steinbrenner take back over, and the pattern for acquisitions has steadily devolved to where they throw money at free agents with, at times, a lack of rhyme or reason, or common sense. Stein just needs to be put in his place by the right person. b) Cashman's career? His family?? You really think if he were fired, he wouldn't be able to get a front-office job for another team? He's done a less-than-spectacular job lately, so that would hurt his chances. But if he got fired for trying to make a smart move, or rejecting Steinbrenner's retarded advice, people would see that. He'd rather be a handcuffed GM with the Yankees than an able GM elsewhere, I guess. Unless I'm missing something completely.

And yes, I know he started out terrifically--or did he? You could make the case that the dynasty teams were the teams created by Showalter, Michael, Boggs and Torre, and they faded steadily every year. Now, I could easily be wrong--but it's at least something to think about.

Please see above. I don't really think that standing up to him has much to do with it. :-? Blaming anything on Cashman is short-sighted. George didn't like Pettitte. He has always been enamoured with other team's free agents rather than his own. It's hard for Cashman to do his job when George is putting $15-20M disappointments in his face.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers