Soriano - one selfish ball player - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Soriano - one selfish ball player

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby grammysboy » Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:29 pm

Madison wrote:No surprise. Soriano did the same thing and said the same thing when he came to Texas. Mike Young volunteered to make the change so there would be no issues in the clubhouse. Not that Soriano really gave him any choice about it.

As to Jeter not moving, I still crack up that the best SS in the league plays 3B for the Yankees. :-b

Speculation in my office is that George is going to grab Renteria from the FA list and convert him to 2B so the Yanks can have three gold-glove SS's on their infield. Sounds crazy, but two years ago would anyone have thought about A-rod playing 3B in New York? Stranger things have happened! 8-o
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:58 pm

never mind, I don't care anymore. keep bashing Jeter because he is the face of the franchise you chose to hate more than you love your own team.

just look at my av/sig if you feel angered. :-D
Last edited by blankman on Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:58 pm

grammysboy wrote:
Madison wrote:No surprise. Soriano did the same thing and said the same thing when he came to Texas. Mike Young volunteered to make the change so there would be no issues in the clubhouse. Not that Soriano really gave him any choice about it.

As to Jeter not moving, I still crack up that the best SS in the league plays 3B for the Yankees. :-b

Speculation in my office is that George is going to grab Renteria from the FA list and convert him to 2B so the Yanks can have three gold-glove SS's on their infield. Sounds crazy, but two years ago would anyone have thought about A-rod playing 3B in New York? Stranger things have happened! 8-o

Personally I don't see that happeing. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but I think Renteria wants to stay in STL and STL wants him to stay in STL. He is priority number one for the Cardinals, so unless the bidding gets absolutlely insane, I don't see him going anywhere. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Amazinz » Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:25 pm

blankman wrote:This is insane DK. The stat may not be the best available, but throwing it out is shortsighted.

F% is absolutely useless.

F% inherently punishes players with better range because a fielder cannot be credited with an error on a ball he can't reach.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:59 pm

Soriano has hands of stone, no baseball instincts in the field, does not turn the DP well at all (and that is being kind) ad makes a more than a fair share of errors. It is funny how a guy ridiculed by many in 2003 (along with Giambi, Bernie and Jeter) as to the major reasons why the Yanks had a terrible defense is now consider better than avg and being cut a break. Funny what a change in uniform can do in the minds of some.

F%, range factor are all useful tools, but they do not substitute for actually seeing the guy in the field. Soriano is NOT a good fielder...he is NOT even an avg 2b in all but the minds of the Jamesian statheads who again have their noses in the computer printouts and not their eyes on the ball field. Is he better than he was in the past...sure. He is still not good...and to call him avg is stretching it well beyond the breaking point point of reason IMO.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:13 pm

i dont have a problem with him not wanting to be traded to a team that wants to put him in the outfield... to me that is similar to a player only wanted to be traded to a east coast team.........but i will have a problem with him not playing for a team that has already traded for him and wants him to be a centerfielder.......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers