Will Smoltz still close next year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Smoltz still close next year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will Smoltz still close next year?

Postby ramble2 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:02 pm

Ah, it's good to be back in the Cafe. If nothing else, I need the baseball fix.

So, anyone out there know whether Smoltz is still going to be closing next year? I'm guessing yes, but know that it's an annual puzzle given that he wants to start again.

I'm asking because my league is beginning to navigate our keepers, and I'm trying to decide whether to make a move for Smoltz or not.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:28 pm

I really don't see the reason to convert a 37 year old who once had TJ surgery back to a starter.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Re: Will Smoltz still close next year?

Postby perlick29 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:33 pm

ramble2 wrote:Ah, it's good to be back in the Cafe. If nothing else, I need the baseball fix.

So, anyone out there know whether Smoltz is still going to be closing next year? I'm guessing yes, but know that it's an annual puzzle given that he wants to start again.

I'm asking because my league is beginning to navigate our keepers, and I'm trying to decide whether to make a move for Smoltz or not.

YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES! He will close and continue to be effective, just my opinion but I think I'm right here.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:37 pm

He's said that the stress on his elbow owuld be less if he pitched as a starter every 5th day instead of as a reliever every other day. If that's true, I can see him as being a starter. I think we'll know whether or not he's starting if/when the Braves sign another closer. I don't think they'd move him to the rotation with only Reitsma and Cruz in the pen.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mikcou » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:42 am

I still see him being the closer
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:11 am

LBJackal wrote:He's said that the stress on his elbow owuld be less if he pitched as a starter every 5th day instead of as a reliever every other day. If that's true, I can see him as being a starter. I think we'll know whether or not he's starting if/when the Braves sign another closer. I don't think they'd move him to the rotation with only Reitsma and Cruz in the pen.

I agree, especially on the last part about the pen. I think they need to get another arm for the pen even if he comes back as the closer.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:57 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
LBJackal wrote:He's said that the stress on his elbow owuld be less if he pitched as a starter every 5th day instead of as a reliever every other day. If that's true, I can see him as being a starter. I think we'll know whether or not he's starting if/when the Braves sign another closer. I don't think they'd move him to the rotation with only Reitsma and Cruz in the pen.

I agree, especially on the last part about the pen. I think they need to get another arm for the pen even if he comes back as the closer.

So now the players call the shots?? He had TJ, is 37, and is accustomed to the pen. He is also 1 of the best closers in the NL. I would leave him alone and let him close. Now isn't the time to start starting again.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby KPucks » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:25 am

Also, he would earn $100,000 for every start he makes, meaning a possible $3 million being taken out of the budget to spend elsewhere. I think it would be easier to find a starter for $3 million a year and have him and a great closer than just having Smoltz as a starter.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby wkelly91 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:38 am

I live in Atlanta and he has been talking about moving back into starting for two years. It's not the Braves pushing this, it's Smoltz. He is a very avid golfer, said he wants to hit the senior tour after he retires. If he starts he can golf in between starts. If he closes he has to prepare every day. It's as simple as that. There has been some talk of Reitsma closing :-?
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:26 am

i would also bank on smoltz closing again next year....the braves would be a better team with him closing and me the fifth starter then smoltz starting and reitsma closing, as at least having smoltz in the pen basically makes the games a 7-8 inning affair instead of a 9 inning ballgame...he is similar to rivera and gagne in that he makes the game shorter because u know he is not going to blow more than a couple of saves a year........
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers