But drugs are illegal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

But drugs are illegal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:48 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Lofunzo I don't think that you are getting the concept.

First of all - drug dealers are not going to pay the tax. Nobody's expecting them to.

Secondly, a little time is nothing to a dealer. They are expected to spend some time behind bars in order to get street credibility.

What burns me and a lot of people is that there is no way to get them to give back the money they have made off of crime. They spend their time behind bars then get out and return to their big bank accounts. There are no civil lawsuits that you can bring against them for a criminal offence.

But if they have been evading taxes you have an excuse to take all of their toys and to clean out their bank accounts.

That is what this law is for.......to get the dealers to pay a tax on their drugs.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:00 pm

Lofunzo wrote:

First of all - drug dealers are not going to pay the tax. Nobody's expecting them to.

Secondly, a little time is nothing to a dealer. They are expected to spend some time behind bars in order to get street credibility.

What burns me and a lot of people is that there is no way to get them to give back the money they have made off of crime. They spend their time behind bars then get out and return to their big bank accounts. There are no civil lawsuits that you can bring against them for a criminal offence.

But if they have been evading taxes you have an excuse to take all of their toys and to clean out their bank accounts.

That is what this law is for.......to get the dealers to pay a tax on their drugs.

If you were a drug dealer, would you walk into any type of government agency and say, "Hi, I'm a drug dealer, I need tax stamps"?? Highly doubtful.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:09 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

If you were a drug dealer, would you walk into any type of government agency and say, "Hi, I'm a drug dealer, I need tax stamps"?? Highly doubtful.

I understand that but he said that they didn't believe that the dealers would do that but that's what the article says that it is intended for.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby kentx12 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:43 pm

Rico, that was stupid :-D
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby mikcou » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:49 am

Its a good idea but I doubt that it will actually be able to hold for very long
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby blankman » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:10 am

Lofunzo wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

I understand that but he said that they didn't believe that the dealers would do that but that's what the article says that it is intended for.

Maybe the article is "wrong" but the entire idea is a very good one. It essentially allows the government to confiscate (due to tax evasion) the property of drug dealers. They do not at all believe that any stamps will be sold. That is not the point; the point is that it gives them another charge to file against the drug dealers, a monetary charge so that they won't return to the money they made off dealing once they have "served their time" in jail.

IMO, this is a great idea, but more important is that jail sentences need to be longer and in many times, indefinate for the dealers, to increase their risk.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Previous

Return to General Talk