FIRE OMAR MINAYA AND FIRE HIM NOW - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

FIRE OMAR MINAYA AND FIRE HIM NOW

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Viper8437 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:04 am

but if reyes manages to stay healthy?
then?
imagine what he could do
reyes is my homeboy
Viper8437
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:14 am

Viper8437 wrote:but if reyes manages to stay healthy?
then?
imagine what he could do

That's the thing. We don't know what he can do because he can't stay healthy. I would be concerned in that he has had so many leg injuries at such a young age. I also don't see why there is so much hype for someone that has all of 122 games played in the majors. He might be the real deal but he also may never be healthy and they won't be able to give him away at that point.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby GameOn » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:19 am

How on earth can you complain about Reyes for Soriano? You trade a injury risk mediocre 2B/SS for the best offensive 2B in the game. I think it's a HORRIBLE deal for the rangers, if they want to trade Soriano at least do it for some pitching they can always promote someone like Kinsler or sign someone cheap to play 2B. This is a bad deal for the Rangers not the Mets.

Secondly, If the Mets trade Piazza and get Sosa they are getting a raw deal...but if they get GReen IMO they are getting a good deal. Piazza is a HUGE injruy risk who is horrible defensively. At least Green would be an upgrade defensively, who has a good bat and doesn't get hurt EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Seems to me that Mets fans are oblivious to what good deals even are. Omar Minaya will be a good GM for them.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:37 am

The Mets don't need a 2B even if he is the best offensive 2B in the game. Soriano gets paid $5.4M this year, is a free agent next year and is 7 years older than Reyes. The Mets would stick him in RF where he'd be a defensive liability. It may be a bad trade for the Rangers that doesn't make it any less bad for the Mets.

As for Piazza, why would the Mets want to exchange contracts with the Dodgers? The only thing that would accomplish would be leaving a void at Catcher (J.P. and Vance may be good backups but they are not starting material) and either fill 1B or RF with a player who is inferior to the FAs available on the market.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

I say

Postby Ballwreckers » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:15 am

I am not too keen on picking up sosa. I think if the mets can pick up green and sign either Delgado or Sexsom the they are in goos shape. The fill the need or a power 1st baseman and getting rid of Piazza for green will allow them to get younger and less of an imjury risk than Piazza, who's catcher days are nearing an end.The mets should be patient with Ryes for at least another season. The guy is too young and talented to give up on and he adds a boost of energy into the clubhouse when he is in the lineup.
Ballwreckers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby io » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:06 am

Game On is right, the rangers won't do this trade because it doesnt help.. they already have Ian Kinsler so no need for Reyes. i thought they were looking to trade Soriano for a pitcher if anything, and then put Kinsler at 2b or ss

im more worried about the Mets losing Leiter, who i hear the other ny team is very interested in signing :*)
io
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:43 am

According to the NY Times the Rangers are the ones who broached the subject, not the Mets.

Here's an excerpt:

The Rangers, who have no such problems with Reyes, took another run at him during a meeting with the Mets on Thursday. According to one American League official who has been involved in the discussions, the Rangers were rebuffed because the Mets have no interest in trading Reyes for Soriano. When one general manager quizzed Minaya about the talks later on, he said Minaya told him, "Why would I do that?"

As far as Leiter the Yankees could be the best thing to happen to the Mets. Leiter has been great but he's not what he used to be (can't get out of the 6th inning). It's time to move on from the old regime and maybe the Mets would get lucky with those two 1st rounders the Yankees would have to pay. Leiter is a Class A free agent. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:14 am

Amazinz wrote:The Mets don't need a 2B even if he is the best offensive 2B in the game. Soriano gets paid $5.4M this year, is a free agent next year and is 7 years older than Reyes. The Mets would stick him in RF where he'd be a defensive liability. It may be a bad trade for the Rangers that doesn't make it any less bad for the Mets.

As for Piazza, why would the Mets want to exchange contracts with the Dodgers? The only thing that would accomplish would be leaving a void at Catcher (J.P. and Vance may be good backups but they are not starting material) and either fill 1B or RF with a player who is inferior to the FAs available on the market.

We can assume but we don't know how Soriano will do in the OF. I tend to think that he will do better than IF.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Erboes » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:05 am

I agree that it is too early to jump to conclusions about the Mets' intentions, but the early signs are not good. It is my opinion that the Mets' problems are centered on the fact that they have too many players who do not know how to hit. They are desperately in need of hitters who can get on base, perhaps play some small-ball as well. So, who are they talking about acquiring? Sosa and Soriano. The Mets are nothing more than a sailor being cut loose on a strange city on payday. You can feel confident that they won't spend their money wisely, even with a new GM. My question is, is it the ownership who insists on this type of action? They seem to be the only constant.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:50 am

Erboes wrote:I agree that it is too early to jump to conclusions about the Mets' intentions, but the early signs are not good. It is my opinion that the Mets' problems are centered on the fact that they have too many players who do not know how to hit. They are desperately in need of hitters who can get on base, perhaps play some small-ball as well. So, who are they talking about acquiring? Sosa and Soriano. The Mets are nothing more than a sailor being cut loose on a strange city on payday. You can feel confident that they won't spend their money wisely, even with a new GM. My question is, is it the ownership who insists on this type of action? They seem to be the only constant.

The sailor at least gets laid...
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers