Santana wins AL CY - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Santana wins AL CY

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pacman » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:05 pm

My only thing to say about Santana:


Santana's record after his first 12 starts of the season was 2-and-4 with a 5.50 ERA (following a 5-2 loss to Tampa June 3). From that point on, obviously, he was dominant over his last 24 starts.

So it needs to be remembered that for exactly his first 1/3 of his season, he was crummy. For the final 2/3 he was dominant.



Schilling's numbers were far more consistently excellent from season's start to finish.
At the same point (first 12 starts) he was 7-3, 3.07... after 24 starts he was 14-6, 3.60, after his final, 33rd start, he was 21-6, 3.26 with 203 Ks and 35 BBs.



I agree that Santana's final 2/3 of his season was other-worldly, but I (and other fantasy managers who owned him) remember how poorly he pitched the first third of the season.



Just my two cents.
Image
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2569
Joined: 10 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Birthplace of the US Navy

Postby LBJackal » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:06 pm

looptid wrote:
LBJackal wrote:Well I had visions of them giving it to Schilling after his playoff performance and the ankle fiasco... but at least they got it right.


Don't all the ballots have to be turned in prior to the playoffs starting?


Oh, I thought they were just told to disregard the playoff performances. Makes sense this way though, how cretinous of me.
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby Madison » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:07 pm

I have to agree with the Santana choice ;-D . He was absolutely amazing for most of the year.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby Baseballer02 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:09 pm

Pacman wrote:My only thing to say about Santana:


Santana's record after his first 12 starts of the season was 2-and-4 with a 5.50 ERA (following a 5-2 loss to Tampa June 3). From that point on, obviously, he was dominant over his last 24 starts.

So it needs to be remembered that for exactly his first 1/3 of his season, he was crummy. For the final 2/3 he was dominant.



Schilling's numbers were far more consistently excellent from season's start to finish.
At the same point (first 12 starts) he was 7-3, 3.07... after 24 starts he was 14-6, 3.60, after his final, 33rd start, he was 21-6, 3.26 with 203 Ks and 35 BBs.



I agree that Santana's final 2/3 of his season was other-worldly, but I (and other fantasy managers who owned him) remember how poorly he pitched the first third of the season.



Just my two cents.


This was discussed before. Schilling had just as many(if not more) bad starts as Santana. So why should Santana be penalized just because all his bad starts came in a bunch, rather than having them spread out? He was the best pitcher in the AL, no matter how you try to look at it.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2006
Joined: 27 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pitching from the left side.

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:16 pm

Amazinz wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
looptid wrote:I think my silence on the issue has been perfectly cromulent.

Oooo... cromulent. I like that word. Wasn't that in a Simpsons episode once? (seriously)

It was created in a Simpson's episode. The word doesn't exist officially. :-b

I'm dying here. What episode was that?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby LBJackal » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:20 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
looptid wrote:I think my silence on the issue has been perfectly cromulent.

Oooo... cromulent. I like that word. Wasn't that in a Simpsons episode once? (seriously)

It was created in a Simpson's episode. The word doesn't exist officially. :-b

I'm dying here. What episode was that?


According to Webster's, it's an adjective that means "fine, acceptable". It says it's slang so maybe they put it in because so many people used it after seeing it on the Simpsons :-D

In that case, festizio should be in there too :-b
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:34 pm

LBJackal wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
looptid wrote:I think my silence on the issue has been perfectly cromulent.

Oooo... cromulent. I like that word. Wasn't that in a Simpsons episode once? (seriously)

It was created in a Simpson's episode. The word doesn't exist officially. :-b

I'm dying here. What episode was that?


According to Webster's, it's an adjective that means "fine, acceptable". It says it's slang so maybe they put it in because so many people used it after seeing it on the Simpsons :-D

In that case, festizio should be in there too :-b

For you Simpson lovers out there:

http://www.cromulent.com

I like the home page.

;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby LBJackal » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:39 pm

And it was used in, "Lisa the Iconoclast". Here's the TV Guide synopsis:

Donald Sutherland is the voice of the curator of the Springfield Historical Society, where Lisa's research on patriarch Jebediah Springfield turns up some unknown -- and unpopular -- facts.


I remember the episode but don't remember anyone saying cromulent :-?
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:42 pm

Internacular wrote:Entry: Cromulent
Pronunciation: 'kräm-u-lent
Function: adjective
Etymology: The Simpsons, episode 3F13: "Lisa The Iconoclast"
Ms. Krabapple: "Embiggens? Hmph. I never heard that word before I moved to Springfield."
Miss Hoover: "I don't see why not! It's a perfectly cromulent word."

:-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby DK » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:50 pm

Good for Santana. He deserved it.

And, Simpsons, well... It's a very cromulent show. :D
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 2:59 hours
(and 89 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact