2005 Mauer Expectations - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2005 Mauer Expectations

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby looptid » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:34 pm

I think he's a very unique player. I realize many are not as high on him as I am. I do think the proper recognition of his atheltic talent goes by the wayside on a national level, due in part to the negative reaction, when for financial reasons, the Twins chose to pass on Mark Prior when taking Mauer first overall. Maybe that's way too speculative, but I'm not concerned.

Here is a kid that could have gone to Florida State to play quarterback on scholarship, could have taken up one of many division one college basketball scholarships, and is the only person ever to be named national high school football and national high school baseball player of the year by USA Today. He only struck out once in his high school career, in an all-star game during his senior year, on a called strike three (though I have been told it was an acurate call).

I do think that his 6'4" 220 pound frame will generate more power than many suspect, and that he won't just be a contact hitter. I have also read many a testamonial from major league players and coaches that talk of his maturity at the plate. He has a fantastic eye and does not chase many pitches.

And, yes, StlSluggers, quite often.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:01 pm

I think you're mistaken about not people being high on Mauer. Maybe he is dismissed among casual fans but his current talent and potential are definitely recognized by the posters on this forum.

I don't disagree with you that Mauer is strong enough that he will develop power and I think he is someone we will be comparing to Pudge somewhere down the road. But I doubt he develops that power overnight.

He's definitely someone I will draft next year if he doesn't go too high. If he suddenly develops power it will be a bonus but if you draft expecting it you'll probably be dissapointed. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:58 pm

looptid wrote:And, yes, StlSluggers, quite often.

I knew it!

Welcome to the Cafe. Love the screen name.

;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:10 pm

Baseballer02 wrote:I'm pretty sure Mauer never even hit more than 10 home runs in a season while in the minors, so predicting even 20 I think is a long shot. I'm predicting Mauer for 75/15/80/3/.300, and I'll probably be lucky if he reaches that.

i would be extremely happy with those numbers for mauer next year......i got him around 60/10/70/2/.290.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Baseballer02 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:14 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Baseballer02 wrote:I'm pretty sure Mauer never even hit more than 10 home runs in a season while in the minors, so predicting even 20 I think is a long shot. I'm predicting Mauer for 75/15/80/3/.300, and I'll probably be lucky if he reaches that.

i would be extremely happy with those numbers for mauer next year......i got him around 60/10/70/2/.290.....

Well he's a great contact hitter, so I have no doubt that he'll hit .300 or better, I'm just hopin he produces to my other stat predictions as well.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers