2B next year. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

2B next year.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2B next year.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:20 am

Renteria and the SP are priorities but I'm curious about 2B next year. Last year there was talk about trading for either Roberts or Hairston from the Orioles. It still seems to make sense but I don't know what the Orioles would want in return.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:56 am

Is Womack not going to be back? The FA market is pretty thin as far as 2B so they're gonna have to trade or maybe bring someone up possibly, not really sure who. If they can bring Renteria back I would think that they could put him at leadoff and get a defensive 2B and put him lower in the order to cut some salary because it's gonna take a lot to get Renteria back probably.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:26 pm

Womack is a FA. He might be back or he might go elsewhere. I read an article on stltoday.com that said the Cards might be interested in bringing Polanco back to play 2B.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:34 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Womack is a FA. He might be back or he might go elsewhere. I read an article on stltoday.com that said the Cards might be interested in bringing Polanco back to play 2B.

Yeah I saw that somewhere before too. If he could get his GP up to 135-140+ that would be a possibility. How good of a fielder is he? I don't see many Phillies games but his numbers seem pretty good. How much was Womack making this year? Polanco is scheduled to make around $4million isn't he? Would Womack come a lot cheaper? :-?
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:41 pm

I'd rather platoon at 2B for less than pay Polanco that amount of money, but man, I sure did like having him on the Cardinals. He's always struck me as a tough, tough out and a disciplined hitter. Plus, he's a great fielder no matter where you put him.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:36 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I'd rather platoon at 2B for less than pay Polanco that amount of money, but man, I sure did like having him on the Cardinals. He's always struck me as a tough, tough out and a disciplined hitter. Plus, he's a great fielder no matter where you put him.

I wasn't following baseball much when he played for the Cards the first time around, so I can't really comment on that, but from the little I saw of him with the Phillies, he seemed to be pretty good, maybe not $4 million good, but good. I wouldn't mind seeing 2B by committee next year if it saves enough money to bring back Renteria and a quality number one. ;-D
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:26 pm

polanco is a solid 2b. pretty versatile too -- can play ss/2b/3b. i just cant see the cards paying him 3-4 million though. the fact that he cant bat leadoff doesnt help any either. if they paid him 3-4 mil they would either not be able to resign edgar or not be able to significantly improve their pitching. they wouldnt be able to do both, and i think those areas are more important than 2b.

i would rather have:

renteria/cabrera + good starting pitcher + luna/bo hart platoon

than

garbage ss + polanco + good starting pitcher

i dont really know what it is going to take to bring womack back. he had one of his best years so he will definitely cost more than last year. i dont have a whole lot of confidence in him repeating his stats. given hairstons injury problems i imagine his price has dropped some but i dont know what it would take to get him.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:30 pm

I agree. Polanco is a good player, he just doesn't really fit what STL needs -- a true leadoff man. I'm not sure what Womack is looking for, but if it's significantly more I say they should let him walk. He's not getting any younger and he won't duplicate '04's numbers IMO. Plus the back spasms in the playoffs don't make me feel much better either. :-o
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:18 pm

J.D.,

Did you ever get a "Congrats on 1K thread?"
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:58 pm

StlSluggers wrote:J.D.,

Did you ever get a "Congrats on 1K thread?"

if i got one i didnt know about it. i dont remember when i passed 1K. i think 1k kind of lost some significance when madison hit eleventy billion.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Next

Return to St. Louis Cardinals