Teams in the hunt for magglio - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Teams in the hunt for magglio

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby looptid » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:53 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I don't know about the chances of him going any of these places, but I've heard rumors about SF, Houston, Cubs, Yanks and Sox of course. I know I'm missing some, but those are the ones I've heard so far.

San Fran? Really? Hitter's park or no, batting infront of or behind Bonds have their advantages. Either a steady diet of fastballs, or at least one person on base 60.9% of the time.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedantic » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:01 pm

kentx12 wrote:
Pedantic wrote:The Braves. O:-)

I would love to see it but dont believe it will happen..

Therefore the O:-). ;-)

I would have to run full-speed into a brick wall if the Mets sign him.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby GameOn » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:28 pm

Rkiivs wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
Viper8437 wrote:LET'S GO METS
LET'S GO METS :-D

No Mets. I like Mags and even have him in one keeper league. Shea is where good players go to die.

Especially hitters. If Maggs was smart he'd go to a team with a hitter's park much like Chicago. Cubs may have a pretty empty outfield soon.

Or he could come to Arlington ;-D
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:36 pm

I am very curious to see if Magglio signs anywhere before Beltran.
Beltran will set the market for this offseason and everybody else will fall in line behind that. I think Boras would actually be doing a huge disservice to Magglio if he signs first. Not that I condone Boras in anyway, but it would just seem logical to me.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby Mustangs989 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:37 pm

I see him going to Mets or Astros. I'd much prefer the Cubs make a serious run at Beltran than go for Maggs.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:44 pm

Mustangs989 wrote:I see him going to Mets or Astros. I'd much prefer the Cubs make a serious run at Beltran than go for Maggs.

Who wouldn't want Beltran over Maggs. ;-7

I know what you're saying though, $$$. ;-)
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby LBJackal » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:52 pm

other than Maggs being 3 years older, there isn't much difference between him and Beltran. The injury might be a concern with Maggs, but when they're healthy they're about equal in value IMO. The SB's don't help as much in real life as they do in fantasy... they certainly don't hurt, and along with age and health give Beltran a slight edge. But if I was a GM... I'd go for Maggs because he'll come cheaper (at least I think he will).

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:56 pm

the devil rays :-D :-D :-D :-D to take baldellis spot in the OF

just kidding but a man can wish cant he. :-D ........actually i think the astros might be a heavily pursuer of maggs..........
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:12 pm

LBJackal wrote:other than Maggs being 3 years older, there isn't much difference between him and Beltran. The injury might be a concern with Maggs, but when they're healthy they're about equal in value IMO. The SB's don't help as much in real life as they do in fantasy... they certainly don't hurt, and along with age and health give Beltran a slight edge. But if I was a GM... I'd go for Maggs because he'll come cheaper (at least I think he will).

SB are incredibly valuable IRL, especially when you steal at a 90% clip like Beltran has done in his career (or even better at his '04 rate of 93%).

The other reason that Beltran has a higher value, other than the injury concern and age difference you mentioned is that Beltran plays CF where there is a much greater shortage of offensive players than in RF where Mags plays.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:25 pm

Tavish wrote:
LBJackal wrote:other than Maggs being 3 years older, there isn't much difference between him and Beltran. The injury might be a concern with Maggs, but when they're healthy they're about equal in value IMO. The SB's don't help as much in real life as they do in fantasy... they certainly don't hurt, and along with age and health give Beltran a slight edge. But if I was a GM... I'd go for Maggs because he'll come cheaper (at least I think he will).

SB are incredibly valuable IRL, especially when you steal at a 90% clip like Beltran has done in his career (or even better at his '04 rate of 93%).

The other reason that Beltran has a higher value, other than the injury concern and age difference you mentioned is that Beltran plays CF where there is a much greater shortage of offensive players than in RF where Mags plays.

I agree 100%. I know I overvalue speed and steals, but SB's are one of the most underrated stats in baseball IRL. With a guy like Beltran singles and walks can turn into doubles just like that, which puts pressure on the defense and the pitcher plus injects life into the offense. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers