Cristian Guzman - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cristian Guzman

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cristian Guzman

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:32 pm

The Twins didn't pick up his option and he is now a FA. He is only 26. Where does he sign and who plays SS for the Twins next year?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 451)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:35 pm

Complete speculation...but how would he look in St. Louis? They obviously don't need offense but he'd be just as good, if not better, than Renteria was on defense. He'd be a much cheaper alternative as well. St. Louis or Chicago are the teams that make sense to me, more likely St. Louis. Again, just a complete logical guess though.

As for who plays SS for the Twins, any chance Rivas will convert to SS and let Cuddyer play 2nd?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:46 pm

I was actually thinking the same thing about STL. While I would much rather have Renteria back (and he seems to want to come back), but Guzman would be a nice cheaper alternative to Renteria, Nomar, even Cabrera.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby LBJackal » Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:21 pm

I'm not sure who follows or believes ZR, but Cristian Guzman isn't nearly as good as Renteria as far as range goes. And he hasn't had an OPS above 700 in the past 3 seasons. I don't think StL wants to replace Renteria with a #9 hitter with bad range. They're probably going to try and get better, and go all the way this year.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby GameOn » Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:52 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing the Rangers trade Soriano, move young back to 2B, and let Guzman play SS. Of course that won't happen, but I think they would be a better team with a solid defensive replacement for Soriano with a decent bat.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:58 pm

GameOn wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing the Rangers trade Soriano, move young back to 2B, and let Guzman play SS. Of course that won't happen, but I think they would be a better team with a solid defensive replacement for Soriano with a decent bat.

Who would they trade Soriano for? Pitching :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Baseballer02 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:07 pm

Out of the 19 shortstops I have ranked for next season, Guzman is next to last. He gives no production in any way.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby LBJackal » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:14 pm

Well a Guzman/Young middle infield would be a bit better than Young/Soriano, for defense. Young was a much better 2B than SS. But still, Guzman, even though better defensively than Young at SS, is terrible at defense and offense. I don't think it'd be a good idea to get him. He's a #9 hitter with bad defense, like I already mentioned. He can't get on base, he can't hit for power, he can't play SS. Pretty much all he does is steal bases once in a while, and he's not even very good at that :-P

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:31 pm

LBJackal wrote:Well a Guzman/Young middle infield would be a bit better than Young/Soriano, for defense. Young was a much better 2B than SS. But still, Guzman, even though better defensively than Young at SS, is terrible at defense and offense. I don't think it'd be a good idea to get him. He's a #9 hitter with bad defense, like I already mentioned. He can't get on base, he can't hit for power, he can't play SS. Pretty much all he does is steal bases once in a while, and he's not even very good at that :-P

Guzman's 2004 (regular season) Stats: .274 BA, .309 OBP, .384 SLG, 8 HRs, 10 SB, 5 CS

Renteria's 2004 (regular season) Stats: .287 BA, .327 OBP, .401 SLG, 10 HRs, 17 SB, 11 CS

Guzman's 2004 Salary: $3.275 Million

Renteria's 2004 Salary: $7.25 Million

Call me crazy, but based on this year's stats, I'd take Guzman over Renteria given the large amount of money Renteria is going to require. The Cardinals would be much better off saving the money they would have spent on Edgar and investing in a true Ace, the one thing they don't have.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:47 pm

i like edgar for around 8 million. at this point i dont think he is worth more than that. maybe if his 04 numbers were closer to his 03 numbers i would reconsider. supposedly he is looking for something averaging 10-12 a year for 5 years. thats a bit steep considering tejada is making around 12 a year.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers