The Curse of Mattingly??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Curse of Mattingly???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Curse of Mattingly???

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:47 pm

Pacman wrote:2001 - Don Mattingly becomes a Spring Training Hitting instructor, Mariano blows first save in Playoffs, lose WS to Arizona 4-3.

Tell that Yankee fan that he needs to research a little more. Anyone remember Sandy Alomar in 97??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:48 pm

LBJackal wrote:
bmd wrote:don't know why all you Yankee fans like him so much - he cursed you, and he wasn't even that great a player ...

Don Mattingly was one of the most feared hitters in the game for a period of time during the 80's. If it wasn't for a back injury he would be a Hall of Famer. To say he wasn't even a great player tells me that you don't really know much about him.

I know more about Mattingly than you'd think then. He had 6 good years. Other than that - eh, he was a decent ballplayer. Not great by any stretch of the word though, other than those 6 years. That's about 1/3 of a career. He was very good in that 1/3 of a career though. He apparently cursed them in the other 20 odd years he's been associated with them :-b

I would say that a 12 year career is much closer to the average than an 18 year career.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:00 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
LBJackal wrote:
bmd wrote:don't know why all you Yankee fans like him so much - he cursed you, and he wasn't even that great a player ...

Don Mattingly was one of the most feared hitters in the game for a period of time during the 80's. If it wasn't for a back injury he would be a Hall of Famer. To say he wasn't even a great player tells me that you don't really know much about him.

I know more about Mattingly than you'd think then. He had 6 good years. Other than that - eh, he was a decent ballplayer. Not great by any stretch of the word though, other than those 6 years. That's about 1/3 of a career. He was very good in that 1/3 of a career though. He apparently cursed them in the other 20 odd years he's been associated with them :-b

I would say that a 12 year career is much closer to the average than an 18 year career.

I'd say most great players have careers that are longer than 12 years, though.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby DK » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:40 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
LBJackal wrote:

You took the words right out of my mouth.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby LBJackal » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:26 pm

DK wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
LBJackal wrote:

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Exactly he had 1/3 of a GREAT career.

And I really don't intend to Yankee bash. It just happens that Mattingly is a Yankee. Honestly I don't like to bash Yankees because it just makes everybody assume it's because of their team which it isn't... but hey I stick to my guns with Babe being the best ever, so there. It just happens that whenever a Yankee is bashed, there's a dozen people defending him.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:06 am

Mattingly was a great player when he played...he just couldn't keep his back healthy. Had he been healthy, he'd be in the HoF easily me thinks.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:11 am

ajgnydc722 wrote:Mattingly was a great player when he played...he just couldn't keep his back healthy. Had he been healthy, he'd be in the HoF easily me thinks.

There, I agree with that ;-D

If he had 15+ years like his best 6, he'd probably be in the hall (don't know his numbers off-hand, but I assume they'd be HoF worthy).

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TriplePlay » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:11 am

I agree ajgnydc722 ;-D

Forever Donnie Baseball
TriplePlay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby io » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:30 am

i would say this conspirancy was probly started by yankee fans.. my dad and i are huge yankee fans, and during the 7th game vs the sox, he said "your not gonna like this, but i blame Don Mattingly".. i was shocked he thought it, but it made sense and i was sad..

and Mattingly himself has even mentioned it in his yankeography, we're he said something like "sometimes I thought I was the reason we never got to the playoffs.. it felt good to get that little monkey off my back in 95" .. poor donnie :,-(
io
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby io » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:46 am

btw, Mattingly was a great player who didn't have a great career because of injury. But during that 6 year stretch, he was easily one of the best hitters in baseball .. dont look at the numbers, because this was before the dawn of steroids and the offensive explosion of the 90's. at the time there was Tony Gwynn, Wade Boggs, and Don Mattingly ..
io
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers