The Curse of Mattingly??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Curse of Mattingly???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Curse of Mattingly???

Postby Pacman » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:44 pm

Not sure if this has made the rounds yet or not. Just read this on another site and thought it would be worth offering for discussion/debate. Allegedly, this was written by a Yankee fan, but I don't know that for sure. Whoever wrote it knows his NYY history.

Also, don't shoot the messenger. I'm just passing along something interesting I just read. ;-7

The Don Mattingly Curse of the Yankees:

1978 - Yanks win WS against the Dodgers

1979 - Mattingly Drafted by the Yankees, Captain Thurman Munson Dies in plane crash, Yankees begin 18 year Championship drought

1981 - Yankees make it to the World Series.

1982 - Don Mattingly is brought up from the Minors and for the next 13 years the Yankees never make it to the playoffs.

1995 - Up 2-0 over Seattle in first Wild Card Playoff Series in Baseball history, Yankees lose 3 straight and miss ALCS.

1996 - Don Mattingly officially retires, Yankees rally from an 0-2 deficit to beat Braves 4-2 in World Series started by a 3-run game-tying home run by Jim Leyritz in the sixth inning of game 3.

1997 - Don Mattingly's number 23 retired, Yankees lose to Indians in ALCS 4-3 after being up 3-2 - Mariano gives up home run to Alomar.

1998 - Don Mattingly has no affiliation with the Yankees, Yankees win 125 games, lose only 1 playoff game and win the WS 4-0 over San Diego

1999 - Don Mattingly has no affiliation with the Yankees, Yankees beat Atlanta 4 - 0 in the WS to achieve a record streak of 12 consecutive WS wins

2000 - Don Mattingly has no affiliation with the Yankees, Yankees beat cross-town rivals NY Mets 4-1 in the WS. WS win streak = 14.

2001 - Don Mattingly becomes a Spring Training Hitting instructor, Mariano blows first save in Playoffs, lose WS to Arizona 4-3.

2002 - Don Mattingly still a Spring Training Hitting instructor, Yanks get shocked by Anaheim Angels in the playoffs...Angels go on to win series.

2003 - Don Mattingly still a Spring Training Hitting Instructor, After narrowly escaping the ALCS with an extra-inning walk-off HR by Aaron Boone off of Boston's Tim Wakefield, Yankees loose WS to one-hit-wonder Florida Marlins at Yankee Stadium.

2004 - Don Mattingly promoted to full-time Yankee Hittting instructor, despite a $194 million payroll, Yankees blow a 3-0 series lead and lose to the "Cursed" Boston Red Sox in the ALCS. The first time a team has lost a series in MLB after being up 3 - 0, the first time the Yankees have lost games 6 and 7 at Yankee Stadium since 1926. The first time anyone had 6 RBI in a ALCS game (Damon), the first time anyone has had 2 walk off hits in one playoff series, in one calendar day, and in 2 consecutive games in the 100+ year history of the sport (Ortiz).

:-D
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Viper8437 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:59 pm

:-° woah
reyes is my homeboy
Viper8437
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LBJackal » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:11 pm

I don't know why all you Yankee fans like him so much - he cursed you, and he wasn't even that great a player :-° ... :-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby kentx12 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:14 pm

I just hope they keep him around for many years to come... ;-D
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby DK » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:16 pm

kentx12 wrote:I just hope they keep him around for many years to come... ;-D

I hope he's immortal and works in as the hitting coach forever.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby ensanimal » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:17 pm

kentx12 wrote:I just hope they keep him around for many years to come... ;-D

same here. he could go from hitting instructor, to head coach, maybe gm, then maybe he'll buy the team of ole george, and the yankees will be doomed to fight for the bottom of the al forever.

muahhaahahaha
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby bmd » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:18 pm

don't know why all you Yankee fans like him so much - he cursed you, and he wasn't even that great a player ...

Don Mattingly was one of the most feared hitters in the game for a period of time during the 80's. If it wasn't for a back injury he would be a Hall of Famer. To say he wasn't even a great player tells me that you don't really know much about him.
bmd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby DK » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:23 pm

bmd wrote:don't know why all you Yankee fans like him so much - he cursed you, and he wasn't even that great a player ...

Don Mattingly was one of the most feared hitters in the game for a period of time during the 80's. If it wasn't for a back injury he would be a Hall of Famer. To say he wasn't even a great player tells me that you don't really know much about him.

Great? Eh, decent. Pretty good. Not great by any means. His BB/K ratio is very good, but he still didn't walk at all. He had four or five great years, and bottomed out. With or without the back injury, I can't call him a great player.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby LBJackal » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:37 pm

bmd wrote:don't know why all you Yankee fans like him so much - he cursed you, and he wasn't even that great a player ...

I know more about Mattingly than you'd think then. He had 6 good years. Other than that - eh, he was a decent ballplayer. Not great by any stretch of the word though, other than those 6 years. That's about 1/3 of a career. He was very good in that 1/3 of a career though. He apparently cursed them in the other 20 odd years he's been associated with them :-b

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:37 pm

any chance of George making Matty the GM . .. ;-D

this is a great conspiracy ..
Right along the lines of that whole Washington at home before an election thingee ... :-]
Last edited by wrveres on Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers