Rick Ankiel - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rick Ankiel

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rick Ankiel

Postby thebob11ca » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:32 am

Do any of you think that Ankiel will make a comeback and step back into the potential stud taht he once was? I am an Ankiel fan and just want to see what you all think he will do.

Bobby
thebob11ca
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:56 am

If he can get his head screwed on straight, the potential is still there, and the Cards seem intent on giving him a shot. But was we found out with Jose Contreras last year, potential and steaks of brilliance does not a good fantasy pitcher make.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wkelly91 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:59 am

Contrares :-[
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:12 am

Last year Oliver Perez was very wild and couldn't hit the broad-side of a barn. He turned out pretty good.

The potential is there for him to be an ace or a bust - only time will tell.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby Erboes » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:09 am

Providing you can get him cheaply he's a helluva gamble. His numbers out of the pen were very good and if it translates to starting he could be the steal of the draft. In a mixed draft I would guess that about the 18th round is the right risk/reward balance for him.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JTWood » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:29 am

St. Louis newspapers have reported that Ankiel will most likely start the season as a second lefty out of the pen. He could move into the starter role if he shows consistency and the need arises.

Draft accordingly!

;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:21 pm

i think he will be solid but not studly. being that he hasnt thrown a whole lot of innings in a while it is likely he will at least begin the year in the pen unless he is lights out in spring training. his bullpen assignment may become even more probable should kline leave via free agency. the cards still view him as a starter in the long-term and will give him that chance be it later in 05 or in 06.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:21 pm

JTWood wrote:St. Louis newspapers have reported that Ankiel will most likely start the season as a second lefty out of the pen. He could move into the starter role if he shows consistency and the need arises.

Draft accordingly!

;-D

:-? :-? what are the papers showing as the 5 starters for the cardinals??????? i would think ankiel would get a shot in spring training to show he deserves a starting spot.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:28 pm

Carp, Suppan, Marquis and Haren so far. My guess is Woody will sign for less than last year. Otherwise someone will be signed or traded for.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:35 pm

raiders_umpire wrote: :-? :-? what are the papers showing as the 5 starters for the cardinals??????? i would think ankiel would get a shot in spring training to show he deserves a starting spot.....

i havent read the papers but the situation looks like this:

carpenter - option was exercised so he will be back
suppan - will be back
haren - will be moved from bullpen to a starter

those three are virtual locks as long as they are healthy. the remaining two spots can be filled in a number of ways.

marquis - under contract but rumored to be available in a trade--cards management reportedly not thrilled with his attitude final month of the season and into the playoffs.

free agent or trade - woody's option was not exercised and morris is a free agent. it is possible one of them is re-signed but i think the cards are exploring other options right now. cards have indicated they are looking for a power pitcher. they made a run for unit before the deadline but had to settle for larry walker. maybe they will make a run for him at the winter meetings. pavano is likely out of their price range. clement might be an option. i dont who else they are looking at.

ankiel - should he impress in ST and win a starting job marquis will be moved to the pen or shipped out. i dont think they want to put themselfs in a position where they are depending on rick to be a starter. they would rather plan on him being in the bullpen and if he works out as a starter all the better.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers