More random thoughts..... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

More random thoughts.....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

More random thoughts.....

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:52 pm

Not sure if anyone reads the Post Dispatch, but I find it pretty informative since I can't get much (any) Cardinal coverage here in Lexington since everyone within 100 miles of Cincinnati is a Reds fan afterall. :-/ Anyway, found this article, pretty lengthy, so I cut out the interesting/important parts. ;-D

STLPD wrote:Without naming names, La Russa endorsed pitching coach Dave Duncan's plea for a power starting pitcher such as free-agent righthander Carl Pavano to fit among a command-and-control rotation.

Interesting thought, though I'm not sure how much the Yankees possibly going after him will drive the price up? :-?

STLPD wrote:The Cardinals hold a $2.4 million option on Carpenter for next season but the obligation would swell based on appearances. Carpenter did not pitch after Sept. 18 due to nerve damage that rendered his right biceps useless for a month and cost him a spot on the postseason roster.
The club may inquire about a "creative" alternative to assuming Carpenter's option. However, their preference may not appeal to a pitcher who set a career high with 15 wins and striking out 152 in 182 innings.

Any other information on the "creative" things they're talking about? I don't know if he's worth the money he could possibly be demanding, but then again I guess he's better than nothing or cheaper than whatever else is on the market. And how much could the incentives part add up to? :-?

STLPD wrote:La Russa admits the stance could cost the club a piece of its marquee infield. "I think if we had a solid core of starting position players, we should consider concentrating our resources on starting pitching," he said. "Because we have an exceptional group of position players, I think we have to commit the bulk of our resources to starting pitching."

I sure hope he's not talking about Renteria. :,-( Especially after saying this:
Asked if he expects landing elsewhere after spending six seasons in St. Louis, Renteria said, "I hope not. I love this city. I feel comfortable here. I think it's the best team I've played on."
:-)

STLPD wrote:The Cardinals have shown little indication of making anything more than a one-year offer to Matheny, who said Thursday, "I know it will become obvious to me what happens next."

I didn't realize Matheny was making $4 million per year. 8-o I hope he gives them a home town discount, since he lives in the STL area. :-)

STLPD wrote:Ankiel will start for Catalina; however, the Cardinals apparently envision him as a potential second lefthander within the bullpen, as little enthusiasm exists for re- signing Kline, who will undergo surgery on Nov. 11 to repair a torn flexor tendon in his left index finger.

"I don't think I'll be back. That's just the way I always look at it," Kline said last Thursday. "I looked at it that way last winter and they ended up bringing me back. But now they've got Ray (King) as their No. 1 lefthander. I don't see it."

I guess this was expected. I still think you need two lefties in the pen the way LaRussa plays matchups. I guess Ankiel is as good an option as any for that, I just hope he can be an effective starter again eventually.

Sorry for such a long post, just got kinda bored between classes and what better way to waste time than reading about the Cards and posting at the Cafe? :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:52 pm

There's going to be a lot of transition on this team next year, no doubt about it. You have to wonder how this will affect clubhouse chemistry. That mystrious chemistry was definitely a factor last year, and you want to make sure you don't lose it.

As for Pavano, I know what LaRussa's thinking. You can really throw another team's hitters off by alternating pitchers with different styles in each game. If you just bring finesse or power, players can slowly adjust. If you alternate, players will have a hard time switching batting approaches in a series.

I hope they sign a Clement or a Pavano or someone who can bring the heat. It will make the other pitchers on the staff that much better.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:09 pm

Hey Saints, when you are talking about your thoughts, it's really not necessary to put "random" in front of it - redundent you know :-D
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby JTWood » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:15 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Hey Saints, when you are talking about your thoughts, it's really not necessary to put "random" in front of it - redundent you know :-D

ImageImageImage
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:16 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Hey Saints, when you are talking about your thoughts, it's really not necessary to put "random" in front of it - redundent you know :-D

I'll try to keep that in mind. BTW, you do know you can get kicked out of the fan club don't you? ;-) :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Return to St. Louis Cardinals