MEL NOT COMING BACK - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MEL NOT COMING BACK

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MEL NOT COMING BACK

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:17 pm

Stottlemyre won't be back next year, as per ESPN. I will post more when I see it.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedantic » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:29 pm

Good, I'm pissed at him for ruining Vazquez. :-)
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Amazinz » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:43 pm

The ESPN article says Neil Allen is the likely replacement.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:37 pm

Here's the article:

Neil Allen likely to be pitching coach

ESPN.com news services

During last offseason, New York Yankees manager Joe Torre lost his longtime trusted bench coach, Don Zimmer. This offseason, it's his longtime trusted pitching coach, Mel Stottlemyre, who apparently will be leaving.

Stottlemyre is expected to beat Yankees owner George Steinbrenner to the punch, according to The New York Times, and leave before The Boss can tell him that he's not coming back.

Zimmer did the same last season, blistering Steinbrenner on the way out and landing with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays as a part-time coach. Stottlemyre is expected to retire from baseball after a career that ran from three seasons in the '60s as a 20-game winner for the Yankees to the last nine years as Torre's pitching coach.

The Times cited a "person who spoke to one of Stottlemyre's colleagues" as saying Stottlemyre will not be back. He likely would be replaced by Neil Allen, a former pitcher for Torre with the Mets and the pitching coach at Triple-A Columbus the last two seasons.

Stottlemyre could feel, the Times noted, that he is likely to be Steinbrenner's fall guy for the failure of the Yankees' starting pitching this past season. The Yankees had hoped for more from Javier Vazquez and Kevin Brown than they got.

In 2003, when they had Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte and David Wells in the rotation, the Yankees had a 4.02 earned run average, third best in the AL. In 2004, their ERA rose to 4.69, sixth in the league.

Stottlemyre actually thought be might be fired last year by Steinbrenner, who is wont to fire coaches as a motivational tool for players and coaches who are still with the team.

Whether that's in this year's plan isn't known, and general manager Brian Cashman isn't saying.

"I'm not prepared to discuss the coaching staff at this point," Cashman said yesterday.

When asked whether Stottlemyre had contacted him, Cashman declined to comment, and Stottlemyre did not respond to a Times telephone message left at his home in Issaquah, Wash., though the New York Post is reporting that Stottlemyre could make known today his decision to quit.

Should Stottlemyre leave, and should bench coach Willie Randolph be hired as Mets manager, the Yankees' coaching staff could have an almost totally new look next season, especially if hitting coach Don Mattingly decides he doesn't want to come back.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:38 pm

Hmmm...I thought Louisiana Lightning Ronny Guidry was in line to replace Mel.... :-?
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:45 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:Hmmm...I thought Louisiana Lightning Ronny Guidry was in line to replace Mel.... :-?

Is he interested?? I thought that he was content coming in for a few weeks in spring training. :-?
Lofunzo

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:45 pm

My friend told me that, because it was rumored that Mel would be leaving. I'm not sure where he heard it, I'll have to ask him.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:48 pm

Guidry as pitching coach is something that got worked over in the media quite a bit. It has a lot of fan appeal but Allen is the guy they've been pruning, he's the AAA coach and he has a history with Torre.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Super GM » Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:10 pm

Whoever it is, is going to have to get a better ERA than 4.69 with that pitching staff. The next pitching coach is gonna have a lot more pressure on him, since George probably won't settle for anything worse than this year. Whoever joins the rotation...May it be RJ, Pedro, Loaiza, Ortiz, Byrd, Wright or whoever......
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:29 pm

Super GM wrote:Whoever it is, is going to have to get a better ERA than 4.69 with that pitching staff. The next pitching coach is gonna have a lot more pressure on him, since George probably won't settle for anything worse than this year. Whoever joins the rotation...May it be RJ, Pedro, Loaiza, Ortiz, Byrd, Wright or whoever......

Agreed although this wasn't Mel's fault at all.
Lofunzo

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers