Pedro is staying in Boston - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pedro is staying in Boston

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:32 am

I'm not disagreeing that he's probably not going to New York. I'm just saying it's crazy to believe there's no chance of it. With Steinbrenner, there's a chance of anything. Odds are, he stays in Boston, but there IS a chance he winds up in pinstripes (hopefully not though).
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thetongueofire » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:11 am

it'd be really funny if Pedro signed with the Yankees the year after the Red Sox win the WS. but it's not going to happen.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Jivedude » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:40 am

thetongueofire wrote:it'd be really funny if Pedro signed with the Yankees the year after the Red Sox win the WS. but it's not going to happen.

Yeah another old, overpaid, injury risk is just what the Yankees need! For the right price, I'd like to see Pedro stay in Boston. But, if he were to sign with the Yankees for big money, then I'd have a good laugh at that.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby PresHabib » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:58 am

ajgnydc722 wrote:I'm not disagreeing that he's probably not going to New York. I'm just saying it's crazy to believe there's no chance of it. With Steinbrenner, there's a chance of anything. Odds are, he stays in Boston, but there IS a chance he winds up in pinstripes (hopefully not though).

OK I can buy that...I suppose there's always a CHANCE he could go there...one of the things I get alot in my english discussion classes is, "You never know anything can't happen till it doesn't, you don't know anything can happen until it does"...With that in mind, all discussions of where Pedro or any free agent this offseason goes is moot because we won't know until they get there.

But that's just no fun. :-)

So Ill concede there's a chance he'll go to NY...I think it's MORE likely that he'll pitch in Japan next year than NY, but I guess that still leaves a small chance. :-b ;-D
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mighty Monks » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:34 am

The red sox will definately not pay pedro more than 12 mill a year. iirc, shilling is getting 12? The sox seem to be trying to stay on a smaller budget this year, 120 mill?, to avoid paying luxory tax and he simply is not worth that much. I would bet a lot of money that if he leaves boston, it will be to go somewhere warm. No way he goes to NY, chi, or other cold places where he will be stuck to the 100 pitch count every time. Somewhere warm I would be willing to bet his numbers would improve a lot. As a sox fan, it would be nice to resign him, but I really dont see it happening with the money he wants. This sox management wont overpay either (nomar) so I think he goes out west somewhere.
Last edited by Mighty Monks on Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mighty Monks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby grammysboy » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:49 am

Mighty Monks wrote:The red sox will definately not pay pedro more than 12 mill a year. iirc, shilling is getting 12? The sox seem to be trying to stay on a smaller budget this year, 120 mill?, to avoid paying luxory tax and he simply is not worth that much. I would be a lot of money that if he leaves boston, it will be to go somewhere warm. No way he goes to NY, chi, or other cold places where he will be stuck to the 100 pitch count every time. Somewhere warm I would be willing to bet his numbers would improve a lot. As a sox fan, it would be nice to resign him, but I really dont see it happening with the money he wants. This sox management wont overpay either (nomar) so I think he goes out west somewhere.

This is an interesting thought. Would the Dodgers be in the bidding for Pedro? How good does he become at Chavez? How badly does he hurt them with his bat? He looked pretty silly hitting against the Cardinals, but I guess that's what hitting instructors are for!
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Strasil42 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:31 pm

Rico The Retard wrote:Let's keep pedro in boston please

as a yankee fan i agree.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PresHabib » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:52 am

Mighty Monks wrote:The red sox will definately not pay pedro more than 12 mill a year. iirc, shilling is getting 12? The sox seem to be trying to stay on a smaller budget this year, 120 mill?, to avoid paying luxory tax and he simply is not worth that much. I would bet a lot of money that if he leaves boston, it will be to go somewhere warm. No way he goes to NY, chi, or other cold places where he will be stuck to the 100 pitch count every time. Somewhere warm I would be willing to bet his numbers would improve a lot. As a sox fan, it would be nice to resign him, but I really dont see it happening with the money he wants. This sox management wont overpay either (nomar) so I think he goes out west somewhere.

The guy has 1 year with an ERA over 3 in 7 years and he's "simply not worth that much". This place passes tough judgment.

And Sox management was going to overpay Nomar, just, Nomar wanted more. Last I heard they had offered him 15 million a year but he wanted 17. 15 is way more than they wanted to spend on him bu they offered anyway.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:55 pm

all this talk of Pedro having an off year ....

But, ...

But, ....

But, it was a "contract year" :-°
How in the hell could somebody have a bad year during a "contract year" ....

It just doesn't make any sense ...
I am so confused ... ;-7
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:36 pm

Let the negotiations begin. Boston's offer:
The Red Sox have offered Martinez a two-year, $25.5 million contract with a $13 million option for 2007 and $2 million in potential performance bonuses, The Boston Globe reported. The package is similar to the one Curt Schilling signed last November.

Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers