Pedro is staying in Boston - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pedro is staying in Boston

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nsulham » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:49 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:
blankman wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:Pedro doesn't give a crap about legacy. He cares about $$ and being number 1. If the Sox don't give him EXACTLY what he wants, he's gone. And I bet you people thought Clemens would never pitch for New York either, right? Please.

I agree, but I hope to God he never pitches for the Yankees.

I agree. I DO NOT want him, just stating that it's foolish to think there's no way he's going there.

I would think George's advisors would know how much Jeter, Posada, Sheffield, et. all, despise Pedro. I can't see George overruling those guys to go out and get him.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:55 pm

Pedro isn't even that good anymore....his hype will extremely overvalue his contract. Sounds like a candidate for the Mets. :-b
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby DK » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:57 pm

slomo007 wrote:Pedro isn't even that good anymore....his hype will extremely overvalue his contract. Sounds like a candidate for the Mets. :-b

Pedro had an off year this year. His K/9, BB/9, and HR/9 still stayed relatively consistent. I'll need to see him fall again before I call him a bust.

That being said, I wouldn't mind him on the Mets. ;-D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby rlee » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:57 pm

Those of you saying that Pedro will never pitch in NY for the Yankees because he hates them and they hate him are losing sight of one big thing. If Pedro thinks he can help them win another series and the Yankee players agree with that, the hatred will dissipate very quickly. Winning and $$$$$ go a long way to patching up old feuds.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby slomo007 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:05 pm

DK wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Pedro isn't even that good anymore....his hype will extremely overvalue his contract. Sounds like a candidate for the Mets. :-b

Pedro had an off year this year. His K/9, BB/9, and HR/9 still stayed relatively consistent. I'll need to see him fall again before I call him a bust.

I agree to a point....but not if he's going to demand $12-$15 million a year. Pedro for $8 million a year? Sure, I'd want him.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:08 pm

slomo007 wrote:
DK wrote:

I agree to a point....but not if he's going to demand $12-$15 million a year. Pedro for $8 million a year? Sure, I'd want him.
No way that is going to happen. I would be shocked if he signs for $12 million.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Bloody Nipples » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:55 pm

I hate Pedro. He is not even that good anymore, and he doesnt really pitch well in big games, IMO. As a Yankees fan, I dont want him on the Yanks. As a giants fan (giants before Yanks, of course), I dont want him on my team. Ive heard that the giants would be a good candidate, but i dont want him. That money would be much better spent on one outfielder and a closer.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:08 pm

nsulham wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:
blankman wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:Pedro doesn't give a crap about legacy. He cares about $$ and being number 1. If the Sox don't give him EXACTLY what he wants, he's gone. And I bet you people thought Clemens would never pitch for New York either, right? Please.

I agree, but I hope to God he never pitches for the Yankees.

I agree. I DO NOT want him, just stating that it's foolish to think there's no way he's going there.

I would think George's advisors would know how much Jeter, Posada, Sheffield, et. all, despise Pedro. I can't see George overruling those guys to go out and get him.

Apparently, you don't know much about George. :-b

Now, for me, it comes down to Boston. If they either choose to let him go or can't afford him, all bets are off. I don't think that legace, allegiances, etc. will matter 1 bit. If the Yankees were to offer the most $$, they will probably get him.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Rico The Retard » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:21 pm

Let's keep pedro in boston please
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby PresHabib » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:29 am

What makes you think pedro cares more about money than his legacy? At this point, Pedro cares about how he is remembered. FYI he said hes a candidate to retire at like 36 or something if he wasn't up to snuff anymore...if he wanted money don't ya think he'd be pitching till he was 41?

Clemens...different story...he was PUSHED out of Boston by Dan Duquette...its almost fitting he went to the Yankees because of how his departure from beantown went.

And if you think Pedro will go to NY so he can not be with Schilling and be number 1 (not saying you're saying that AJ, but somebody out here is at least thinking it)...well whoever is thinking that is forgetting about Derek Jeter...in NY, he plays second fiddle to NOBODY. If pedro is so insistent on being the man, NY isn't the place for him.

Im tellin ya, he'll talk to the Yankees, but I seriously think it will only be to coerce (spelling?) more money out of John Henry and company.

And also somebody in here doesn't think he's a big game pitcher? he was awesome for 100 pitches in 7 innings last year in game 7...his stuff was unreal in the LCS game 2 this year except one fatty to Olerud which he would only put out of the park on 1 of 100 swings (running fastball up and in to a 38 slow bat lefty and he hits it out? please.) Lieber was better that night, but Pedro's stuff was absolutely electric that night too...seemed to do decent in game 5 of the LCS too (again, one bad pitch, the 3 run double to Jeter), and he was unreal against the cardinals in game 3 of the LCS. Still not convinced? Game 5 of the LDS in 2003 was good too...likewise was game 5 of the 99 LDS...even if pedro isn't as good as he once was in 99 and 2000 (of course hes not), it doesn't mean he's lost it...his era was 3.90 this year which is still good...HORRIBLE for Pedro, but if you give me a staff of 5 starters who have a 3.90 ERA, I'll give you a world series ring. And his ERA up until this year had actually been DECLINING for 3 straight seasons. People who say he's lost it just aren't looking hard enough.

He's not going to NY....he's MOST likely staying in Boston...not definitely, but most likely. If you think money is the only thing that will get pedro wherever he ends up, you haven't been watching and listening to him for the past 6 years.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers