Pedro is staying in Boston - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pedro is staying in Boston

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pedro is staying in Boston

Postby PresHabib » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:20 am

Or at least, he's not going to New York.

Let's settle this. Pedro is NOT going to the Yankees. Pedro will talk to them and all of New England will be up in arms, but in the end all his talking to them is designed to get more money out of OTHER teams (i.e. the Red Sox). Pedro more than any other Red Sox player legitimately HATES the Yankees. Also, Pedro is a player just as concerned with legacy and story as much as he is with winning. Now that Boston has won, he doesn't have to leave Boston for the ring (ala Wade Boggs and Roger Clemens)...He can have both winning AND legacy in Boston, unlike many who have come before him in this town. Yeah the Yankees have plenty of legacy and story, but those are guys like B. Williams, Derek Jeter, Posada, Rivera, etc...Giambi, Matsui, ARod, Sheffield...these are guys who have gone to NY and been mercenaries more than parts of a legendray franchise. And Pedro knows that.

He stays in Boston.

I have more thoughts on this, but I'd like to throw this out first and get some thoughts. I just really think Pedro is smart enough to know that letting everybody think he will go to the Yankees is a great way to get a lot of money out of Boston, where I truly believe he wants to stay.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:58 am

Yeah you're leaving out a major factor....George's wallet. Pedro has provided more hints that he wants to pitch in New York than that he doesn't.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:40 am

I don't think he will stay in Boston cause of his ego. He seems like he wants to be the pitcher but he isn't any more, Schilling is. He wants to be #1, top dog. I think he goes to the White Sox.

Just my 2 cents.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby thomasps3 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:54 am

Zero chance Pedro pitches in NY. Zero. Read my lips:zero. Not only is there bad blood between Pedro and the other players for what he has done in the past: i.e. hit Jeter and Soriano consecutively, but Pedro is a smart player who realizes the legacy he has played a huge part in creating in Boston. I'm not one for making statements like this, however, Pedro will never pitch in NY, and also he will never pitch in Chicago either. He loves the big game, the biggest stage, and in Chicago, he'll always be second fiddle not only to the Cubs, but also to the Bulls. There is no way he would sign in Chicago. There is no other place for a player like Pedro than Boston, and the team also has motivation to sign him given the role he played in the run to the championship this year. My bet is he signs with Red Sox for 3 years for 13-14 m/yr and retires a Red Sox
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:12 pm

I'd like to see him retire a Red Sock, but Theo has shown himself a GM willing to take chances and make unpopular decisions. And I don't think that Pedro is Pedro anymore. I don't think that Pedro will get what he thinks he deserves from the market. If he does, it won't be the Sox.

Just wild speculation, but couldn't Stl use a big-game power pitcher. As memory serves, their guys didn't do much in the World Series...
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GameOn » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:20 pm

Where did all this legacy crap come from? This is the same guy that said that he would drill the bambino in the ass.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:29 pm

Pedro doesn't give a crap about legacy. He cares about $$ and being number 1. If the Sox don't give him EXACTLY what he wants, he's gone. And I bet you people thought Clemens would never pitch for New York either, right? Please.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:13 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:Pedro doesn't give a crap about legacy. He cares about $$ and being number 1. If the Sox don't give him EXACTLY what he wants, he's gone. And I bet you people thought Clemens would never pitch for New York either, right? Please.

I agree, but I hope to God he never pitches for the Yankees.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby mikcou » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:17 pm

Pedro probably will not go to the Yankees. He dislikes them and many of the people on the team. Although Steinbrenner does have all the money he needs to get him, but Pedro has already made money and probably is more interested in his so called legacy.
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:38 pm

blankman wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:Pedro doesn't give a crap about legacy. He cares about $$ and being number 1. If the Sox don't give him EXACTLY what he wants, he's gone. And I bet you people thought Clemens would never pitch for New York either, right? Please.

I agree, but I hope to God he never pitches for the Yankees.

I agree. I DO NOT want him, just stating that it's foolish to think there's no way he's going there.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers