Firewall help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Firewall help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:08 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Hmm, why do you need a firewall? You can't use any download programs with one active.

Because I'm paranoid about stuff like that. :-D Actually with the always on broad-band connections everyone has now you need something more than just anit spy-ware stuff and anit-virus. Firewalls keep hackers out and others from accessing your computer without you knowing it. It basically monitors information sent and received through your internet connection for such unwanted access attempts. Yes, it's sometimes annoying, but the benefits far outweigh the hassel IMO. I guess I got too technical there, just FYI. :-)

Thanks for the links fellas, I'm gonna use the XP one for now until I get another. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:41 am

So0peRsPam wrote:
Madison wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Hmm, why do you need a firewall? You can't use any download programs with one active.

I have no issues using programs at all. Black Ice tells me exactly what the program is and asks me if I want to allow it to run. I simply click "yes" and presto, both program and firewall up and running at the same time. :-)

Why are you paying for this Mad lol.... I swear the FREE Zone Alarm does the EXACT same thing... Identifies the program, asks you to allow or deny the program to run, plus you can save the option so the pop-up for the same program you always want to allow (IE, Mozilla) doesn't pop up again. Plenty of other options provided to allow you to customize your firewall as well. ;-D

Yep, Black Ice does all of that too. It does tons of stuff that I'm unaware of as well, but that's a good thing.

As to cost, I'll just say that it wasn't much. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby so0perspam » Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:44 am

Madison wrote:
So0peRsPam wrote:
Madison wrote:

I have no issues using programs at all. Black Ice tells me exactly what the program is and asks me if I want to allow it to run. I simply click "yes" and presto, both program and firewall up and running at the same time. :-)

Why are you paying for this Mad lol.... I swear the FREE Zone Alarm does the EXACT same thing... Identifies the program, asks you to allow or deny the program to run, plus you can save the option so the pop-up for the same program you always want to allow (IE, Mozilla) doesn't pop up again. Plenty of other options provided to allow you to customize your firewall as well. ;-D

Yep, Black Ice does all of that too. It does tons of stuff that I'm unaware of as well, but that's a good thing.

As to cost, I'll just say that it wasn't much. ;-)

Uh-oh, Mad's self portrait:

ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Madison » Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:47 am

So0peRsPam wrote:Uh-oh, Mad's self portrait:

Lol. :-b

I didn't mean it quite like that though. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:33 pm

I use the free 1 from ZA as well. Great and you can't beat the price. ;-D Simple to install and easily customizable. Downloading programs isn't an issue. It prompts you and asks if you want to allow it. Many different modes for different levels of invisibility. I use that and a few different spyware proggies with much success.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to General Talk