Announcers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago Cubs

Announcers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Announcers

Postby Mustangs989 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:57 pm

Steve Stone just announced that he would resign, it's a shame too, as he spoke the truth about the Cubs and was critisized by the front office for it.
Here is his letter of resignation if you want to read it
Dear Cubs fans:

Since I put on a Cubs uniform in 1974, I've seen lots of Cubs history. There has been heartache and joy, agony and ecstasy, not to mention 21 managers and 10 general managers.

Through all of these years and more than a few broadcast partners, I have always felt a strong connection to the greatest, most loyal fans in baseball, Cubs fans.

My love for the city of Chicago and the people who came to beautiful Wrigley Field has been a constant. Over three million of you Cubs fans came to the ball park in 2004 and the TV ratings showed you watched the Cubs broadcasts in staggering numbers.

Unfortunately, the 2004 season did not end as we had hoped. It was devastating for all of us who invested our hearts, our time and in many cases our lives, in the hopes and dreams of the Cubs winning a world championship.

I am sure you have read many things about this past season and my involvement in one or two controversies. However, you have never heard my story or my perspective of the events that have brought us to this point in time.

As has always been my personal policy, it is not my intention to divulge the content of private conversations I've had with others. Likewise, I do not want to be forced into sharing my side of the story.

I came to Chicago on the high road with my credibility and integrity. Thirty years later, I choose to leave the same way.

The phrase I used that angered certain people was "I regret nothing." Well folks, I was wrong about that and want to set the record straight. I regret I won't be calling another Cubs game on WGN-TV for the greatest fans in baseball…the fans of the Chicago Cubs.

It's been a great ride. I will never forget you. Most importantly, I thank you all for every minute of happiness, you, the fans have given me.

Best regards,

Steve Stone

This raises the question, who will the new TV announcers be next year with both Chip and Stoney gone :-/
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:44 am

You know if the Cubs want someone who won't question them, will always agree with them and is an incredible homer they should bring Santo out of the radio booth, health permiting.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby Rico The Retard » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:52 am

Steve Bartman should be one of the announcers
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby ironman » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:13 pm

Garbage. I'm gonna be pissed if I have to be subjected to Dave Otto. :-t

Why not just bring in those worthless broadcasters from the south side. When asked what happened to Steve Stone they could just reply with, "HE GONE!"
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:45 pm

That's too bad. I never got to hear him much, but from everything I've seen about him he's a class act and will be a tough act to follow. :-/
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Mustangs989 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:47 pm

Some updated info I found about the Cubs announcers next season.

Brenly to be Cubs' analyst
Play-by-play man still to be named

By Ed Sherman
Tribune media reporter

November 9, 2004

The Cubs will have a World Series-winning manager in their broadcast booth next year.

Bob Brenly is set to replace Steve Stone as the Cubs' television analyst, according to broadcast sources. Brenly, who guided the Arizona Diamondbacks to the 2001 title, is the first piece in a revamped booth that also will include a new play-by-play announcer to take the place of Chip Caray.

John McDonough, the Cubs' senior vice president for marketing and broadcasting, declined comment on Brenly's status Monday. Brenly couldn't be reached for comment.

Considered one of the top analysts in the game, Brenly, 50, will rekindle his relationships with the Cubs and manager Dusty Baker. After retiring from the San Francisco Giants in 1989, he joined Ron Santo and Thom Brennaman in the Cubs' radio booth for the 1990-91 seasons.

Brenly then went to Baker's staff as a coach in San Francisco. Brenly, an All-Star catcher in 1984, spent the bulk of his nine-year playing career with the Giants.

When told Monday that Brenly was getting the job, Baker said, "I've known B.B. for a long time—we were together in San Francisco. He's a good broadcaster, a good baseball guy, and he's honest. He'll do a great job."

Brenly remained with Baker until 1996, when he went back into broadcasting. He called games with Brennaman for Fox Sports' Saturday and postseason baseball package. Brenly then joined Brennaman in Arizona's booth in 1998. He worked for both Fox and the Diamondbacks through the 2000 season before becoming Arizona's manager.

As an analyst, Brenly has earned high marks for his candor and wit. When Brenly was fired from Arizona last summer, Fox quickly tabbed him again to work the National League playoffs.

"Before becoming a manager, I thought Bob was the best television analyst in baseball," Brennaman said. "There's no reason to think he won't pick up where he left off. He's smart, fun and insightful. He knows the game and he knows television. If he goes to Chicago, the Chicago fans will be extremely fortunate to have had Steve Stone and then Brenly."

In a recent interview, Brenly said he was aware of what happened to Stone. The longtime Cubs analyst declined to return in 2005 after enduring a season in which some players reacted bitterly to his analysis.

At the time, Brenly did not see the situation as being a deterrent to taking the job.

"I'm hired to do a job," Brenly said. "I'll call them as I see them. I'll never intentionally take shots at somebody. Being a manager, I know that unless you know all the facts, sometimes you're better off refraining from saying something."

Brennaman said Brenly wouldn't have any problem being candid.

"You'll know exactly how the game is being played by the Cubs with Brenly in the booth," he said.

Brenly said working in Chicago was two of the most enjoyable years he had in baseball.

"Just going to Wrigley Field as a player, manager and a broadcaster is a special experience," Brenly said. "You walk into the building, and you know you're watching a big-league game. The enthusiasm of the fans and my partners made it a tremendous experience."

Brenly chose the Cubs over several other options, including a possible return to the field. He posted a 303-262 record in 31/2 seasons as a manager.

Brenly rode the pitching of Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling to Arizona's 2001 World Series title over the Yankees in seven games. The Diamondbacks then won the National League West in 2002, posting a 98-64 record.

The Diamondbacks slipped to 84-78 in 2003, finishing third. The bottom fell out this year, when Brenly was fired with Arizona owning a 29-50 record.

O'Brien has inside track for Cubs job
Posted Thursday, November 11, 2004

Barry Rozner By Barry Rozner

Dave O'Brien has vaulted into the lead for the Cubs' play-by-play job and could have the job by the end of business this week, according to a source.

Barring a collapse in negotiations, which could get serious today, O'Brien should become the sixth different man to sit in the No. 1 seat in the Cubs' booth in the last 10 years, following Harry Caray, Thom Brennaman, Wayne Larrivee, Josh Lewin and Chip Caray.

The 41-year-old O'Brien just finished his second year with the Mets and his fourth year with ESPN. He also calls NCAA hoops for ESPN, so there may be some contractual dialogue still in play, which means there's always a chance the deal could hit a snag over money or freedom.

Assuming there's no major hiccup, the Cubs could announce a deal in the very near future.

If a pact with O'Brien falls through - and that's hard to believe with the Cubs suddenly throwing money around like they're printing it - they still have interest in Florida's Len Kasper and San Diego's Matt Vasgersian, though the latter has been unable to get out of his contract and also has interest in the Dodgers.

A Boston native, O'Brien - who's married with three children - has been in the business for 15 years. Before joining the Mets, he handled radio play-by-play for the Braves, including during the 1991 World Series, and was with the Marlins from 1993-2001.

O'Brien also called college football and basketball for Georgia and Miami.

I've also heard rumors about Thom Brennaman being alongside Brenly instead of O'Brien. I would be ok with either of these candidates, Brenly is very good and while I don't know much about O'Brien I don't remember anything particularly bad so he should be ok. It'll take some adjusting to but atleast it's not Dave Otto :-P
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby knapplc » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:13 pm

It'll be hard to get used to Stoney being gone, but you've got to think he was ready to go. You don't just start going ballistic on your team without some idea that there will be ramifications.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a right to his opinion, but when you're one of the voices of your team and it's broadcast across the country like WGN, you've got to be more tactful in how you disagree with the moves being made. Stone cooked his own goose.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RugbyD » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:38 pm

knapplc wrote:It'll be hard to get used to Stoney being gone, but you've got to think he was ready to go. You don't just start going ballistic on your team without some idea that there will be ramifications.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a right to his opinion, but when you're one of the voices of your team and it's broadcast across the country like WGN, you've got to be more tactful in how you disagree with the moves being made. Stone cooked his own goose.

stone was incredibly artful and tactful with his criticism. there are only so many ways to say "what a s--- team this is" and "dusty is a f'n retard"

as an example, a careful reading of his farewell letter makes it clear, in not so many words, that he was forced out and there was no real "choice". the terms were 'keep talking smart baseball, but quit being so honest about our team and we'll keep you'. sacrficing integrity was not an option.

and yes i am still fuming about this issue :-[ :-t :-[ :-t :-C
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:18 am

RugbyD wrote:stone was incredibly artful and tactful with his criticism. there are only so many ways to say "what a s--- team this is" and "dusty is a f'n retard"as an example, a careful reading of his farewell letter makes it clear, in not so many words, that he was forced out and there was no real "choice". the terms were 'keep talking smart baseball, but quit being so honest about our team and we'll keep you'. sacrficing integrity was not an option. and yes i am still fuming about this issue :-[ :-t :-[ :-t :-C

I agree with all of your points. All I'm saying is, when your employer is not open to criticism, even voicing a legitimate opinion will get you fired in an at-will work environment if that opinion differs from your employer’s. I’m not saying they were right to can him; I’m saying it’s no surprise he’s gone.

Where Stoney “cooked his own goose” was in the bitterness he made evident in his tone and the nature of the criticism he levied. Essentially calling Dusty out on the carpet on national broadcasts wasn’t the best career choice he made, nor were his comments on sports radio after the season. It’s fine to disagree and I’m sure they could have lived with constructive criticism tactfully given, but you can’t believe Stone meant positive things by calling the organization’s darling new manager an idiot, or by engaging in very public disputes with players. Stone is at much at fault there as Alou, and Alou is gone too.

I don’t like that he’s gone, either, and I’m really going to miss him when the season rolls around. I think he needs to shoulder some of the blame for making a bad situation worse instead of better, though.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RugbyD » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:38 am

knapplc wrote:It’s fine to disagree and I’m sure they could have lived with constructive criticism tactfully given, but you can’t believe Stone meant positive things by calling the organization’s darling new manager an idiot, or by engaging in very public disputes with players. Stone is at much at fault there as Alou, and Alou is gone too.

I don’t like that he’s gone, either, and I’m really going to miss him when the season rolls around. I think he needs to shoulder some of the blame for making a bad situation worse instead of better, though.

I don't think he meant positive things b/c there were not positive things to say. At least for me, Dusty's 'darling' status vanished by august. w/r/t player disputes, i can't lay anything on Stone here. A player who is performing poorly has no standing to take issue with someone who happens to acknowledge the fact that they are playing poorly. He did overstep his bounds once or twice right at the end, but I don't think it was antything worth giving him the ax. I'm more content that in all cases except those few that he did the right thing instead of the nice thing.

i'm just worried that Stone's much needed objectivity w/r/t strategy will be lost with Brenly, who is already chummy with Dusty "Hit&What?" Baker.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to Chicago Cubs