chacon - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

chacon

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

chacon

Postby jskidder1 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:56 am

what do you guys think about chacon in colorado? is the kid for real or do you think he is still too risky to pick up because of the coor's factor?
jskidder1

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby La§ Aguila§ » Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:01 pm

This guy is gonna be great. If you dont have him get him now!!

This is what ESPN wrote about him.

Shawn Chacon, Rockies: Yes, we know he's a Colorado pitcher. Yes, we know that all Rockies pitchers are dangerous. But Chacon is very hot right now. Last week in two starts, 7 innings each, he allowed no earned runs. And in three Coors Field starts this season he's allowed a total of three runs. Can this continue? I mean, what about that 5.73 ERA last year? Well, Chacon has always been able to strike people out, and he's only 25, so maybe he's emerging. He's worth a bench spot at least until he begins getting torched regularly, which may not happen.

-- Eric Karabell
[b]DoMiNiCaN FoR LiFe ![/b]
La§ Aguila§
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:01 pm

no one else has an opinion on chacon?

Postby bleach168 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:06 pm

Chacon is a ticking time bomb. Don't touch him with a 20-foot pole!

Remember Hampton's first 10 games with the rockies? Remember how all the "experts" believed he conquered the Coors curse? Well, he ended up with 5.41 ERA and a 1.51 whip. His second half numbers were 7.46 ERA and 1.71 whip.

History will repeat itself. Look elsewhere.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Let's Play 2 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:42 pm

I will never, ever own a pitcher on the Colorado Rockies. Period.
Let's Play 2

Postby Sucker » Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:48 pm

I just picked him up after another terrible start from Lackey last night. He gave all the Yanks hits except the 3 Yankees I have!

I hope to god the Colorado curse has lifted with the new balls they use there now. I am a little scarded of his next start against the red hot Cubs and the fact that Chacon only beat one good team (St. Louis) Oh well it's just fantasy baseball.
Sucker

Postby Arlo » Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:59 pm

Chacon definitely has talent, but Coors is still Coors, in spite of the humidor. In an average league, I'd stay away from all Rockies starters for the time being (at least until Chin-Hui Tsao arrives) unless you have lots of room on your bench and can pick your starts; in a very deep league, he's worth a roster spot, but be prepared for occasional rough outings.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HYLRedSox » Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:09 pm

I'm not sure of all the details, but I heard somewhere that he grew up in Denver, and is "used to" the thin air there. From what I've heard, if anyone can have success (and by success i mean not give up 6 or 7 runs every outing) i would say that Chacon is the guy.
HYLRedSox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:54 pm

Good point, HYLRedSox. Not only did he grow up in Colorado, but pitching for Colorado Springs has to be considered a plus as well. He may well be just what the Rockies needed, but that still might not be enough to make him a solid fantasy player...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers