Random thoughts..... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Random thoughts.....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:49 pm

Well I looked into some of the contracts. Edmonds is signed til 2006 and STL has an option/buyout for 2007. Walker, Izzy and Sanders are FA after 2005.

The big FA SP available after 2005 are Randy Johnson and Tim Hudson.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:56 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Well I looked into some of the contracts. Edmonds is signed til 2006 and STL has an option/buyout for 2007. Walker, Izzy and Sanders are FA after 2005.

The big FA SP available after 2005 are Randy Johnson and Tim Hudson.

I'd love to get Hudson, but he and Mulder are the two of the three they're gonna keep probably. The only way he'd get away is if he's asking too much, and then he'd probably be outta the Card's league anyway. :-/
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:16 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Well I looked into some of the contracts. Edmonds is signed til 2006 and STL has an option/buyout for 2007. Walker, Izzy and Sanders are FA after 2005.
I also forgot Womack is a FA.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:38 am

I don't know the exact amount, but Walker's contract next year is being significantly funded by Colorado.

Just an FYI if you didn't know (because I didn't).
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Random thoughts.....

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:57 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:-- Pitching
Judging from the WS so far we need a big game money pitcher. You can get by pretty good with Marquis, Suppan's, Carpenter's etc during a 162 game regular year, but you also have to have a Schilling, Pettite, Pedro (if he's not playing the Yankees :-D) for those "must win" momentum turing games. I realize that Carpenter, Marquis, Haren, Ankiel etc could very well turn into that go-to guy, but we need one who's already there. I realize that it will take some serious $$ to land one in FA, but with the departure of Morris, and Woody there should be quite a bit freed up, right? :-[

What about Orlando Hernandez (FA) or a trade for Livan? Those are two guys that I would gladly hand the ball to with the season on the line.

IMO Ankiel should stay in the pen.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:27 am

StlSluggers wrote:I don't know the exact amount, but Walker's contract next year is being significantly funded by Colorado.

Just an FYI if you didn't know (because I didn't).

I knew they picked up most of it this year and som next year, just wasnt' sure of the exact amount.

Mookie4ever wrote:What about Orlando Hernandez (FA) or a trade for Livan? Those are two guys that I would gladly hand the ball to with the season on the line.

Orlando's got the bad shoulder I thought? Or was it really just fatigue or whatever they were calling it. :-? Now Livan would be one to consider. The only thing is I thought someone tried to get him from Montreal and he used a his no-trade? Or am I thinking of someone else? Plus the Expos may actually be committed to winning now that they're outta Montreal and could drive up the price? I'm just rambling now....

Mookie4ever wrote:IMO Ankiel should stay in the pen.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I think they can straighten him back out and he's definitely got the stuff to be a starter. I suppose they could maybe use him as a spot starter and situational lefty, but those rarely work out I guess. :-?
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: Random thoughts.....

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:41 am

Mookie4ever wrote:IMO Ankiel should stay in the pen.
If (and I know that is a big if) he can start that is just crazy. :*) No one has ever doubted his stuff, just his makeup. The guy has the talent to be as good as Santana. If he could start why wouldn't you start him?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:53 am

I agree that Ankiel is much more valuable as a starter than out of the pen. That's particularly true when you figure that we don't have any lefty starters at all. The reality is, though, that he probably needs more time to get into the Major League groove again. I say you start him in the pen and watch his progress. If he shows that he can be steady, then move him up.

That approach would an excellent motivator to whomever the number five starter is for the team come next spring.

As for Walker, I finally found some details. He is making $12 mil/year through 2005. The Rockies are picking up $7.5 mil next year. But that's not all of the good news. He has an option for 2006. The option is worth $15 mil, and it has a $1 mil buyout. So, if he can stay healthy, we might have him on the team for two more seasons!
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:08 pm

StlSluggers wrote: The reality is, though, that he probably needs more time to get into the Major League groove again. I say you start him in the pen and watch his progress. If he shows that he can be steady, then move him up.

That approach would an excellent motivator to whomever the number five starter is for the team come next spring.

That's what I was thinking. Plus he's a bit of a headcase. It might be better to keep him in the pen so that he doesn't know when he has to pitch.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:41 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
StlSluggers wrote: The reality is, though, that he probably needs more time to get into the Major League groove again. I say you start him in the pen and watch his progress. If he shows that he can be steady, then move him up.

That's what I was thinking. Plus he's a bit of a headcase. It might be better to keep him in the pen so that he doesn't know when he has to pitch.

No doubt he should start in the pen, and then maybe move into the rotation when he gets some confidence and the coaching staff trusts him enough. Plus this time around he's got a good offense and defense behind him to turn those walks into double plays. :-D
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to St. Louis Cardinals