PLAYERS, RELIGION, AND HEAVEN - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

PLAYERS, RELIGION, AND HEAVEN

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby io » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:56 am

well Pedro thanked and talked alot about God right after he lost game 2 of the ALCS.. he actually said he was feeling successful just to be in the situation.. it was neat, never seen a player do that before

i used to be religious. all i can think of is that crutches work, especially in sports because its so difficult to succeed... it really helps to believe in something (for inspiration) even if theres nothing really there.. it helps you dig deep down inside yourself and pull out something you never knew you had (i dont know why, but it does).. so its all related to being successful, not failure
io
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:38 am

God is infallible.

When a player fails, it's not because God failed, it's because God is testing their faith.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby chadxor » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:44 am

a person saying that god is testing him is a pretty lame reason for someone breaking his leg or putting out a crappy performance

but there's no way in hell (erm) i'm getting in a discussion about religion here
chadxor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:14 am

If I ever did anything noteworthy and won an athletic competition where I was interviewed afterwards this is what I would say:

"I owe it all to my Lord and Savior and He came through for me. I guess He just likes me better than the other guy. I don't know why. I've done a lot of bad things in my life. In fact, I should have failed miserably based on what I have done in my life. So I don't know what that other guy has done but I think that by allowing me to win today God is giving us a hint to arrest that mother".
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Madison » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:16 am

I believe that athletes thank God every day in the morning and before going to bed. When success happens, they give extra thanks. When they fail, I believe they speak with God in private.

No different then non-religious celebrations really. Someone wins, they cheer, yell, smile, etc. You don't see the losers cheering and smiling, do you?

I've seen many athletes that lost or messed up thank God for the opportunity in interviews after the game is over and thank Him for giving them the ability to get to where they were in the first place.

What are they supposed to do :-? ? Strike out, and then point to the sky before leaving the batter's box? That would make them look more like they are blaming God, rather than thanking Him for the opportunity.

Maybe I'm missing something though. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby LCBOY » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:44 am

LBJackal wrote:I guess so... I don't find it very rational to thank God for anything, or believe in supernatural powers like that. It's like people who are superstitious about not walking on the foul lines; it's all in your head.

I guess people thank God when they succeed because they helped them accomplish something. If they fail, they didn't pray enough or something and it's their own fault. I really don't know the logic behind it though.

I thank God for everything in my life, not just the successess. I certainly don't "blame" God for my failures. The reason I don't is because is a failure or success isn't something that has much affect on my relationship with God. As long as I have that the other stuff in life really doesn't matter. ;-D
Last edited by LCBOY on Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:58 pm

Madison wrote:I believe that athletes thank God every day in the morning and before going to bed. When success happens, they give extra thanks. When they fail, I believe they speak with God in private.

No different then non-religious celebrations really. Someone wins, they cheer, yell, smile, etc. You don't see the losers cheering and smiling, do you?

I've seen many athletes that lost or messed up thank God for the opportunity in interviews after the game is over and thank Him for giving them the ability to get to where they were in the first place.

What are they supposed to do :-? ? Strike out, and then point to the sky before leaving the batter's box? That would make them look more like they are blaming God, rather than thanking Him for the opportunity.

Maybe I'm missing something though. :-?

Mad.......IMHO, what you speak of is in an ideal world. In reality, I don't think that's the case. If they don't want to pray for anything, fine. If they want to pray, then I think that they should thank God for being in the situation, win or lose.

Do they point up to the sky every time they cash 1 of those outrageously high paychecks?? :-°
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Madison » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:18 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Mad.......IMHO, what you speak of is in an ideal world. In reality, I don't think that's the case. If they don't want to pray for anything, fine. If they want to pray, then I think that they should thank God for being in the situation, win or lose.

Do they point up to the sky every time they cash 1 of those outrageously high paychecks?? :-°

All I was getting at is that we don't know what they do in private.

We see several players "cross themselves" before each pitch of an at bat or kiss a cross around their neck. That's before anything has even been done.

I'm just trying to figure out what it is that you would like to see. I've seen more ballplayers than I can count in all sports thank God for the abilities and the chance that He gave them in post game interviews and things. Do you want them to point at the sky when they strike out? :-? I'm not really following what it is that you want to see them do.

Oh, and no, I'm sure they don't point to the sky when they deposit a paycheck. Lol. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DK » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:40 pm

In the great words of George Carlin:

George Carlin wrote:Jesus made me drop the ball.

The Good Lord tripped me up behind the line of scrimmage.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby ensanimal » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:47 pm

Lofunzo wrote:

i would :-°
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk