PLAYERS, RELIGION, AND HEAVEN - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

PLAYERS, RELIGION, AND HEAVEN

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

PLAYERS, RELIGION, AND HEAVEN

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:46 pm

I am all for people expressing their religious beliefs (whatever they may be) but I have a little pet peeve. Did you ever notice that the players that point above only do so when they succeed?? It's always after a big out by a pitcher, a hit by a hitter, or when they score a run. How about when things go wrong?? I say this because we always see it when a hitter gets to first after a single but how about when he grounds out?? How about right when a pitcher takes the mound?? Should we be grateful because whatever God we worship has put us in that situation in the first place?? I would love to see more athletes say that they would like to thank God for giving them the opportunity, even when they fail. I won't hold my breath, though.

*END OF RANT*
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:53 pm

Hmm.

Do you ever see someone thank the lord after they stub their toe? Do you see people praising Jesus when they're stuck in traffic? Have you ever seen someone do a Hail Mary right before they took a dump? I'll answer for you and say no. People have no reason to do any of those things when they fail or do absolutley nothing, but when they succeed they have every right to thank whoever they believe blessed them or whatever.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:57 pm

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:People have no reason to do any of those things when they fail or do absolutley nothing, but when they succeed they have every right to thank whoever they believe blessed them or whatever.

Why not?? Wouldn't it be nice if they thankled God for putting them in that position in the first place or actually allowing them to live on this planet??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:02 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:People have no reason to do any of those things when they fail or do absolutley nothing, but when they succeed they have every right to thank whoever they believe blessed them or whatever.

Why not?? Wouldn't it be nice if they thankled God for putting them in that position in the first place or actually allowing them to live on this planet??

I will make the assumption that they thank God everyday for the opportunities he bestowed upon them when they pray.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:47 pm

The guy who lives beside me says after somebody loses a game, he wants them to say. "Well, I tried, but God let me down. I asked for his help and he wasn't there." :-b

They thank God when they succeed, and say he was the reason, but say nothing when they fail. I guess it's his fault they failed too.

And I'm not serious, so don't anybody get offended. I don't believe God helps or hurts people, it's all in your head, and up to you in the end ;-)

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:51 pm

LBJackal wrote:And I'm not serious, so don't anybody get offended. I don't believe God helps or hurts people, it's all in your head, and up to you in the end ;-)

If that's the case, why do anything when you succeed??
Lofunzo

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:53 pm

Hehe, if you really want a curveball, read the book of Job...

please don't flame me....
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby LBJackal » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:17 am

Lofunzo wrote:
LBJackal wrote:And I'm not serious, so don't anybody get offended. I don't believe God helps or hurts people, it's all in your head, and up to you in the end ;-)

You should be happy that you succeeded... if you mean why do people thank God when they succeed, I don't know. I'm not religious.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:23 am

LBJackal wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

You should be happy that you succeeded... if you mean why do people thank God when they succeed, I don't know. I'm not religious.

I was basically saying that no one ever thanks God for their failures. Only when they succeed. If someone hits a jumper at the buzzer in Game 7, they often thank God. If they miss the same shot, they won't. Are they assuming that God made the shot?? If not, I would like to see God get thanked in defeat as well.
Lofunzo

Postby LBJackal » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:29 am

Lofunzo wrote:
LBJackal wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

I was basically saying that no one ever thanks God for their failures. Only when they succeed. If someone hits a jumper at the buzzer in Game 7, they often thank God. If they miss the same shot, they won't. Are they assuming that God made the shot?? If not, I would like to see God get thanked in defeat as well.

I guess so... I don't find it very rational to thank God for anything, or believe in supernatural powers like that. It's like people who are superstitious about not walking on the foul lines; it's all in your head.

I guess people thank God when they succeed because they helped them accomplish something. If they fail, they didn't pray enough or something and it's their own fault. I really don't know the logic behind it though.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk