Kendry Morales - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kendry Morales

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kendry Morales

Postby San D » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:43 pm

Does anyone know anything about Kendry Morales? I know he's a 21 year old switch-hitting 1B who defected from Cuba. Is he major league ready? Will he help in 2005?
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kendry Morales

Postby Tavish » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:24 pm

San D wrote:Does anyone know anything about Kendry Morales? I know he's a 21 year old switch-hitting 1B who defected from Cuba. Is he major league ready? Will he help in 2005?

In terms of talent I don't think there is any doubt he is ready for the majors. But he also hasn't played competitive ball going on a full year and when he was playing it was against good, but inferior talent. If he started with the big club I would expect some sort of adjustment period, but he would most likely rank up there with Upton in terms of prospects ( just more of a Prince Fielder/Delmon Young type of hitter).

BTW I think he still really wants to play catcher in the majors. Not sure if any team would give him the shot at it, but its something to think about.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby fantasma » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:35 pm

In an article from a couple years ago, he once talked about wanting to be a catcher, because it's what his dad wanted him to be, but he's actually either a 1st baseman or a 3rd baseman. He worked out for scouts on September 1, and there was an article in the Miami Herald a couple weeks ago...

According to a summary of the article,

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The Marlins are among a number of teams interested in signing Cuban defector Kendry Morales, although the 21-year-old switch-hitter might not fit into the team's 2005 budget. Fred Ferreira, a senior vice president and the team's director of international operations, saw Morales perform in a closed workout in the Dominican Republic last week and came away impressed. ''He's a legitimate hitter,'' said Ferreira, a savvy talent evaluator who has signed 39 major-leaguers, including Anaheim's Vladimir Guerrero and the Yankees' Bernie Williams. ``He's not ready [for the majors] immediately, but he's not far. He's a guy that you can look into and say that he will play in the major leagues.'' Less certain is whether the Marlins can afford him."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It sounds as if he's looking for $10-15 million, and it sounds like most every team interested is balking at that price tag, but remain interested.

To me, the fact that the scout says "He's a guy that you can look into and say that he will play in the major leagues," rather than "He's gonna be a superstar!" or "He's gonna be great!" suggests to me that maybe he looked good, but not spectacular.

That said, many people think he was the best hitter in Cuba, and he is only 21, so I'm certainly gonna keep watching him...
fantasma
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Sticky Spice » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:18 am

So how did this topic die already? Where's the Kendry Morales hype?

Apparently he signed with the Angels because they were going to give him a chance to win a job the DH job this spring.

Between CF, 1B, and DH the Angels seem loaded and someone's going to come out on the short end of the stick. Kinda reminds me of the Sox a couple years ago with Trot, Millar, Ortiz, Mueller, Hillendbrand,....Jeremy Giambi? all fighting over the same positions.

I think Juan Rivera's value is looking worse and worse, but that's why they play spring training, I suppose.

Figgins, Rivera, Erstad, Davanon, Kendry, Kotchman....not enough room. Forgettin anyone? :-?
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 40)

Postby swarmee » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:19 am

Sticky Spice wrote:So how did this topic die already? Where's the Kendry Morales hype??

Well, there's not much Morales hype because he's still a major unknown. He hasn't played against the US in the Olympics, to my knowledge, so he's still a relative unknown to fantasy baseball league owners.
Plus, the last couple of Cubans to cross the 90 miles haven't panned out (as well as the Matsuis in 2003 and 2004), and I think people are starting to learn to take those players once they've become established rather than rely on them their rookie year.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Sticky Spice » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:33 am

swarmee wrote:
Sticky Spice wrote:So how did this topic die already? Where's the Kendry Morales hype??

Well, there's not much Morales hype because he's still a major unknown. He hasn't played against the US in the Olympics, to my knowledge, so he's still a relative unknown to fantasy baseball league owners.
Plus, the last couple of Cubans to cross the 90 miles haven't panned out (as well as the Matsuis in 2003 and 2004), and I think people are starting to learn to take those players once they've become established rather than rely on them their rookie year.

But I thought that's what these boards lived for in this age of infinite internet information. The next "true" sleeper.

Not everyone here is in Yahoo leagues so "suffering" through Hideki Matsui's first season is quite bearable to get to the creamy middle.

Plus, this guy is 21! It's entirely possible that by 2006 he could put up a Miguel Cabrera-ish season.

Okay, so I'm just stirring the pot :-b But teams that are allowed to keep youngsters on a farm or on a reserve will be extremely interested in how his spring training pans out. A full year in AAA might be all the seasoning he needs.
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 40)

Postby swarmee » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:51 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:But I thought that's what these boards lived for in this age of infinite internet information. The next "true" sleeper.

Well, this reason is the reason I'm going to completely change my strategy for next season. I'm going to try and build on the "known quantities" since most people in my main league are always sleeper finding. I figure that since everyone else will be overrating unknown youngsters, that I'll get better value out of the known quantities of major league regulars. At least that's the mindset I'll go into the auction with. ;-)
I'm also thinking about running with the "low BA" team, and see if I can get enough quality numbers in the other categories to make up for the drop in production from BA.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Return to Baseball Leftovers