advertising in baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

advertising in baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

advertising in baseball

Postby Mugrila » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:19 pm

i have to give a speech for school as if i were talking to bud selig about how advertising is bad during sporting events such as baseball. i remember something about advertising spiderman when that was coming out and the issues that created. i was wondering on where you stood on this issue. should companies be allowed to advertise on this scale and if so how should we regulate it?
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JRM4833 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:24 pm

I say let em advertise all they want. There is so much money put into baseball by the owner and the networks, let them make a little bit back through advertising, as long as it isn't cheesy or doesn't take away from the game. Not much pisses me off as much as Fox coming back from a commercial and the count is already 0-1.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby wrveres » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:36 pm

Hey, I remember that discussion ... :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby irishdude103 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:38 pm

JRM4833 wrote:I say let em advertise all they want. There is so much money put into baseball by the owner and the networks, let them make a little bit back through advertising, as long as it isn't cheesy or doesn't take away from the game. Not much pisses me off as much as Fox coming back from a commercial and the count is already 0-1.
well said i agree
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:43 pm

i have no problems with advertising in sports.....it does 3 things imo that help the sport.....it gives the owner more money to hopefully help the team out with getting free agents and paying their own players...and also it cuts down a little on the cost of buying tickets to watch the game.......and also without advertising, we very well might have to pay to watch the games on tv at home........

but since you are arguing that advertising is bad i would mention a few things such as taking away from the ball parks...you can see budweiser, pepsi, and other sponsors billboards all over the ballparks but alot of times you dont see some retired players numbers or even the ballparks history such as a famous homerun(where it landed).....another aspect of bad advertising is missing some of the game to see a sponsors plug......another aspect would be that advertising takes away from competition in the ballpark, such as if Turner Field signs a exclusive contract with Coca Cola that no pepsi cola could be sold,,,and i only like to drink pepsi then while i am there i can not drink pepsi during the game......

hope this helps and slap selig during your debate for us :-D :-D :-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:15 pm

wrveres wrote:Hey, I remember that discussion ... :-)

hey I remember that :-]

As for the school project - you should turn it into a debate. One against advertising in baseball and you take the For Advertising in baseball side.

Everytime the other side raises an argument against advertising in baseball, you stand up and yell "Go back to mother Russia!" :-b
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby wrveres » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:42 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:

As for the school project - you should turn it into a debate. One against advertising in baseball and you take the For Advertising in baseball side.

Everytime the other side raises an argument against advertising in baseball, you stand up and yell "Go back to mother Russia!" :-b

lmao ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby perlick29 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:47 pm

Wow, I just wrote a paper on this for class. I didn't give a solution to the problem or anything like that, but if you guys are really interested in it I could post here for you to view. But it's 7 pages long, so up to you guys.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mugrila » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:54 pm

thanks for the help. perlick, if you don't mind could you email or pm that paper to me? i'm not necessarily on either side of this arguement myself. i think advertisement is good in small portions. it does help lower prices and earn money for the sport but it can be distracting sometimes.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby JRM4833 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:00 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:

LMAO!!

As for the negatives, I guess one of the bigger ones would be the Coke bottles above the Green Monster or the Hood milk bottle in right field (sorry, Fenway examples are just alot easier for me). But even those don't bother me too much. After awhile, they just become part of the history (which is probably why the advertisers spent so much money for the space). You start remembering HRs that hit off the Coke bottles. And before 1947, the Green Monster was covered with advertisements. So it's not a new thing in baseball, there's just much more of it as new ways to advertise appear.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to General Talk