Curt Schilling, Future Hall of Famer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Curt Schilling, Future Hall of Famer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LCBOY » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:14 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
LCBOY wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
LCBOY wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Even if it says in the voting rules, that every game be weighted equally, baseball writers rarely pay attention to these rules. Case in point, AL ROY last year. I like career number wise Schilling is borderline but with his post-season heroics he gets in easily.

No, the rules states that a player cannot be elected to the HoF based on one great season or one great game.

We are debating two different topics here. You are talking about how it is supposed to be and I am talking about how it is.

We are? Ok, let me ask a question. Can you name one HoF pitcher that had an ok career but was inducted because he was a great post-season pitcher? I have NEVER heard a HoF voter say, "Yeah, his career was so-so but I voted for him anyway because he was a tremendous post-season pitcher."

Wrong answer. :-B

Do you really think Hoyt was elected to the HoF because he won three games in the 1921 World Series? Or did he get in bacause he had the following seasons?

1928: 23-7
1927: 22-7
1922: 19-12
1921: 19-13
1923: 19-9
1924: 18-13

As a Yankee he was 157-98. As a non-Yankee he was 80-84. He was fortunate enough to pitch for the first great Yankee dynasty which greatly inflated his record. He is one of the weakest HoF selections. He was elected in 1969. During the late 1960s through the mid 1970s, the Veteran's Committee made a whole bunch of absurd sleections to the HoF.

But my point is that he got in becasue he had great SEASONS for the Yankees.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LCBOY » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:18 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
LCBOY wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
LCBOY wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Even if it says in the voting rules, that every game be weighted equally, baseball writers rarely pay attention to these rules. Case in point, AL ROY last year. I like career number wise Schilling is borderline but with his post-season heroics he gets in easily.

No, the rules states that a player cannot be elected to the HoF based on one great season or one great game.

We are debating two different topics here. You are talking about how it is supposed to be and I am talking about how it is.

We are? Ok, let me ask a question. Can you name one HoF pitcher that had an ok career but was inducted because he was a great post-season pitcher? I have NEVER heard a HoF voter say, "Yeah, his career was so-so but I voted for him anyway because he was a tremendous post-season pitcher."

Burn
Before LCBOY says it I want to note that Waite was elected by the Veterans committee and not the writers. Still by and large voters make up their own voting rules and give more votes to players that came up big in big games.

You beat me to it... :-D
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:00 pm

The ROY of the year award and induction into the HoF is a much different vote. If his career were to end after this season, then I don't see anyway he makes it into the Hall. Much like LCBOY said, he probably needs at least 3 more very productive years to have much of a chance.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby LCBOY » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:18 pm

Just wanted to throw my $.02 for Tom Glavine.

262 wins (so far)
.605 winning %
2 Cy Young Awards (1991, 1998, plus four other Top-3 finishes)
9-Time All-Star
5 20-win seasons

The 10 most similar pitchers to Glavine through age 38.

1. Jack Morris (904)
2. Warren Spahn (901) *
3. Jim Palmer (896) *
4. Burleigh Grimes (882) *
5 .Early Wynn (876) *
6. Bob Gibson (875) *
7. Jim Kaat (870)
8. Tom Seaver (866) *
9. Tommy John (852)
10. Fergie Jenkins (851)*

*Hall of Famer

That's a pretty good group.

I think he's going to fall short of 300 unless he has a little mini-revival. Pitching for the Mets doesn't help...
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:28 pm

LCBOY wrote:

But there is no way for someone to give him the nod for 1 great game in a borderline case. To me, the jury is still out. To say that he will get in is odd as I believe that his record coming into this season was 5-1. Let him have a bigger body of work before we put him in based on the playoffs. He still has some time left. We have time as well. :-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers